Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

First thing I did this morning was rip the fabric off the resin. Wow, what an easy process and such a consistent finish. When I build my rear wheel well guards I will use this. It will be flat and a perfect way to avoid having to sand or coat with paint.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:37 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

That is an absolutely stellar answer. Thanks for sharing.
Although I knew nothing about the AC system of a 964, I did proceed to tackle a leak at the expansion valve. I would agree that this is not a DIY for the faint hearted. I would caution against the use of anything with a leak stop. The problem with topping up the AC charge yourself is that most people (including myself before my arduous DIY) don't bother to do a proper diagnosis of the system. The simplest things such as evacuating the system and making sure it maintains a suctions is just step 1. You have to study the system for leaks, then replace the faulty components, then change the compressor oil, then check the system for leaks under pressure. Otherwise, you will throw considerable money at the problem and not properly fix it. I had someone diagnose the leak at the expansion valve before I tackled the problem. I ended up flushing the entire system, then changing all o-rings, evaporator, expansion valve, drier, and compressor. The condenser was still functioning great so I just flushed it. Once everything is buttoned up, you could still have a leak under pressure, but not under vacuum. After checking my pressures for leaks under vacuum and with 200gm of r134a in the system, I decided to take it to a pro for a proper recharge. Sure, I could have done that too, but pressures fluctuate with ambient temps and overfilling is a problem. The system functions well within a specific pressure range, so getting it wrong could mean...you guessed it...another leak.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by apanossi
Although I knew nothing about the AC system of a 964, I did proceed to tackle a leak at the expansion valve. I would agree that this is not a DIY for the faint hearted. I would caution against the use of anything with a leak stop. The problem with topping up the AC charge yourself is that most people (including myself before my arduous DIY) don't bother to do a proper diagnosis of the system. The simplest things such as evacuating the system and making sure it maintains a suctions is just step 1. You have to study the system for leaks, then replace the faulty components, then change the compressor oil, then check the system for leaks under pressure. Otherwise, you will throw considerable money at the problem and not properly fix it. I had someone diagnose the leak at the expansion valve before I tackled the problem. I ended up flushing the entire system, then changing all o-rings, evaporator, expansion valve, drier, and compressor. The condenser was still functioning great so I just flushed it. Once everything is buttoned up, you could still have a leak under pressure, but not under vacuum. After checking my pressures for leaks under vacuum and with 200gm of r134a in the system, I decided to take it to a pro for a proper recharge. Sure, I could have done that too, but pressures fluctuate with ambient temps and overfilling is a problem. The system functions well within a specific pressure range, so getting it wrong could mean...you guessed it...another leak.
Thanks for adding to the info. The more I read the more I see how a little knowledge is dangerous with the AC system. It's a complex set of discrete items that all need to work together. New Zealand has just had the hottest Summer on record. I want my air con to work, even if it isn't as good as more modern systems.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The air con technician has done his thing and I have cold air for the first time in the five years I have owned the car. It’s ironic that it’s come at the start of our Autumn but I’m hoping that replacing the tx valve and receiver/dryer plus having proper leak testing and recharge has set me up for years of trouble free operation. The technican expects that a good system will still lose 70 grams of charge per year so I expect maybe one or two DIY partial charges then a professional recharge in the third year. The only strange thing detected is a dent in one of the pipes. Maybe someone dropped the car onto something in the past?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

With the air con sorted it was time to refit the sills. One thing I forgot to mention with the threaded clip mod is that the thread needs to be stablised otherwise it can spin in the clip while you try to do the nut up. I used epoxy. The nut is challenging to tighten on the right hand side. I used a ratchet spanner.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Next up was changing the gauge backlights to LED plus fitting a lamp to the PDAS alert. Long story short I started out with 12 LEDS and managed to lose the prongs off enough to end up two bulbs short. I wouldn’t do this again, but now I’m committed.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another task for today was changing out the steering wheel. Goodbye Mod 07 and hello OE wheel. I enjoyed the Mod 07 wheel, especially when I did a lot of track driving but for a balance of steering weight, gauge view and feel the OE wheel is my way forward.

BTW while my new wheel was perfect, a local owner managed to break the fixtures on his wheel that fix the horn pad. Within a few days he had designed and printed out new ones. I took a few spares just in case. Have to love the modern world helping out old cars.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The air con technician has done his thing and I have cold air for the first time in the five years I have owned the car. It’s ironic that it’s come at the start of our Autumn but I’m hoping that replacing the tx valve and receiver/dryer plus having proper leak testing and recharge has set me up for years of trouble free operation. The technican expects that a good system will still lose 70 grams of charge per year so I expect maybe one or two DIY partial charges then a professional recharge in the third year. The only strange thing detected is a dent in one of the pipes. Maybe someone dropped the car onto something in the past?
Years ago when I owned a VW Golf the dealer made a dent that looked exactly like that on the passenger side rocker of my lowered car. The lifting arms on the car lifts start flat and then they increase in size to a square tube. In most instances the pad on the arm has multiple positions so when a car sits lower they use a lower setting. If the portion that pulls out of the arm isn’t long enough the square tube will make contact with the rocker on the car and leave a dent that looks exactly like that. What really pissed me off is that I knew this and I had warned the service advisor but obviously they didn’t pay attention.

Hopefully that makes sense.

By the way, congrats on getting the AC functional!
Old 04-07-2018, 03:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Years ago when I owned a VW Golf the dealer made a dent that looked exactly like that on the passenger side rocker of my lowered car. The lifting arms on the car lifts start flat and then they increase in size to a square tube. In most instances the pad on the arm has multiple positions so when a car sits lower they use a lower setting. If the portion that pulls out of the arm isn’t long enough the square tube will make contact with the rocker on the car and leave a dent that looks exactly like that. What really pissed me off is that I knew this and I had warned the service advisor but obviously they didn’t pay attention.

Hopefully that makes sense.

By the way, congrats on getting the AC functional!
That makes a lot of sense. It looks like a powerful controlled impact.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I have previously documented that there is a build number stamped into various panels on the 964 body. It also appears on the top of the label in the Frunk. A great way to tell if your car has original panels, however it doesn’t appear to be as simple as that. When I did my door I noted X stamped into a couple of numbers. Looking at the hood/bonnet and engine lid, I’d say my door is original and Hans was having a bad day when the car was built.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I feel like the ‘light’ refurb is close to the finishing line now.

The carpet order had a hiccup and the supplier is sorting that out when more 4KV Navy Blue Sliverknit is obtained, but the other parts are coming together nicely. Today I finished the rear bumper, reverting it to OE Black underneath. Aside from tidying up the White areas, arranging some road protection and running a DA polisher over the body it's finished.

Last edited by John McM; 04-08-2018 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (03-14-2024)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:17 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

You have done a great job with the 2 cars John. Spent all day yesterday reading through this whole thread. If things are coming to an end what are you going to do next? Apart from drive the hell out of it. You seem like the kind of person who likes to keep busy.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
You have done a great job with the 2 cars John. Spent all day yesterday reading through this whole thread. If things are coming to an end what are you going to do next? Apart from drive the hell out of it. You seem like the kind of person who likes to keep busy.
Thanks Dean. I have a 964 engine coming at the end of this month, which I’ll rebuild for the owner over the coming Winter. Just a couple of hours every other night. I’ve put a surround sound stereo in the garage and have a heat pump coming in the next month so it will be very comfortable. I’ll also work on some custom parts for my car. Then it’s a matter of deciding what other car to tackle. The supply of manual 964s has dried up so I won’t be doing another one. Maybe a Beetle or a Mini. Something simple and cheap.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks Dean. I have a 964 engine coming at the end of this month, which I’ll rebuild for the owner over the coming Winter. Just a couple of hours every other night. I’ve put a surround sound stereo in the garage and have a heat pump coming in the next month so it will be very comfortable. I’ll also work on some custom parts for my car. Then it’s a matter of deciding what other car to tackle. The supply of manual 964s has dried up so I won’t be doing another one. Maybe a Beetle or a Mini. Something simple and cheap.
Oh sweet, look forward to seeing the rebuild. Your garage sounds great, all you need is a bathroom... I can do this for you and all I ask is a light refurb of my car
A beetle would be cool. And custom parts sounds interesting.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

BergvillFX LED kit fitted, including the third brake light. Please note the previous owner hooked the fog lights up to the brake circuit so this isn’t standard. The LED light was tooo much for the iPhone camera but very clear to the human eye.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb