Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum & Porsche scene!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 AM
Hate96
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New to the forum & Porsche scene!

Hi all!

I've been lurking here in the forum for a a few weeks, gathering a bit of info & learning! I finally decided to make a post because I wanted some advice.

Anyway, I saw this picture a little while back and instantly fell in love with the car. I am not by any means a 'car guy', but since I saw that car in the picture, I've been really interested and now I want to get one.

After researching a bit I think it must be a Porsche 964 C2 or C4, correct me if I'm wrong! Now what I'm wondering is how common they are, what can I expect to pay for one in BC, Canada, if the price will significantly change in the next year, and what I should be looking for/ looking out for.

I'd be extremely grateful if you guys could help me figure this stuff out! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:34 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Prices are going up as people are finally realizing these are the last of the hand build air cooled cars from Porsche. There is sticky thread on with some recent sales data. You can read and read forum posts or you can order the Porsche 911 Enthusiast's companion at Amazon which will walk you through all the basics on the 964 model.

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-911-964-Enthusiasts-Companion/dp/0837602939/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411619571&sr=8-1&keywords=964+enthusiast http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-911-964-Enthusiasts-Companion/dp/0837602939/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411619571&sr=8-1&keywords=964+enthusiast
Old 09-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Hate96
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Prices are going up as people are finally realizing these are the last of the hand build air cooled cars from Porsche. There is sticky thread on with some recent sales data. You can read and read forum posts or you can order the Porsche 911 Enthusiast's companion at Amazon which will walk you through all the basics on the 964 model.

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-911-96...964+enthusiast
Oh, I'll definitely have to check that out. Do you personally think, with the prices rising, I'll be able to pick one up for around $20k next year?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 02:18 AM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the thread you need to keep a close eye on:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-sale-54.html

Normally, I would have recommended you look/buy in the U.S. and bring it up (this has historically been a very simple process) however upcoming changes might mean that it will be more complicated to import a U.S. car from a private U.S. seller in 2015, if the news article in this thread is to be believed: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...astically.html

If you browse the first thread linked above, you'll notice that prices have risen within the past six months. If you've done even some cursory research, you'll realize that they've gone up significantly within the last year. IMHO, you won't find a 964 for $20K in Canada that won't need some significant refreshing/updating. A more realistic range on either side of the border is somewhere in the $25K to $35K range.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a good thread here that gives you an idea of prices in US, https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-sale-54.html
Canadian prices on these seem to be a tad higher. Prices vary quite a bit depending on type (C2 or C4 - coupe, targa, cabriolet), gearbox (tiptronic or stick) year of manufacture (89-94), colour (exterior & interior), mileage, condition and work it has had done. So a late model (92-94) C2 coupe manual with low miles in Black on Black with perfect paint condition and trim will demand a significant price hike to an early (89-91) C4 cabriolet with tiptronic g/box 120k miles with linen interior (ivory) that might need an engine rebuilt or paint Job. The former of these examples could be as high as double the latter. These cars usually need a top-end rebuild circa 80-120k and some a reseal earlier than that due to leaks.

You will also need to consider options such as wheels, suspension, sports seats, side mirrors in the price while there is also a case for buying a car that is in same outfit that it left the factory with and as with any used car, history plays a huge part perhaps even more so for these cars.

Prices seem to have tripled over past few years so some say its due for a drop, others think it will now level off and there is also those who think it will only go up. My personal experience here in UK is that prices have levelled off during summer so don't expect a significant hike over the next year.

Major expenses are - engine reseal = 3-5k, rebuild = 10 to 15k, respray = 5-10k, suspension upgrade = 3-5k.

As always opinions vary but I don't think I am far off the average consensus as this is the info I managed to gather in this forum during my search over past few months.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:16 AM
financd964
Instructor

In my opinion finding one anywhere for 20k was over a year ago. There's always that deal to be had but seem very rare. This forum loves to undervalue for some odd reason.

I'm starting to see tiptronic cabs with around 100k miles go for mid to high 30's

Finding one let alone for a good price is getting harder and harder every day that goes by. And I live in Los Angeles where Porsches are plentiful.

I dunno, just my thoughts on what I've been seeing anyway.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:51 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Do lots of searching and you will learn lots on here.

If you find a manual coupe under 30k you have to act fast. There was a C2 manual coupe in Pemberton BC listed for $26,500 2 weeks ago. A US buyer put a deposit on it within hours and the seller was overwhelmed with emails. It was a steal. A tiptronic with 100kms was just posted for $50k in Vancouver as well lol So the range is quite wide.

Happy learning and enjoy the hunt
Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Hate96
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
Welcome! Do lots of searching and you will learn lots on here.

If you find a manual coupe under 30k you have to act fast. There was a C2 manual coupe in Pemberton BC listed for $26,500 2 weeks ago. A US buyer put a deposit on it within hours and the seller was overwhelmed with emails. It was a steal. A tiptronic with 100kms was just posted for $50k in Vancouver as well lol So the range is quite wide.

Happy learning and enjoy the hunt
Thank you very much. I'm excited to get one, and hoping I can get lucky with the price.I just found this guy http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4572395090.html is this a good deal?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome! Do a lot of reading and make sure you get a PPI before purchase. Have you driven one yet? Maybe you can find a fellow Rennlister in the area so you have some reference to go by.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:10 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hate96
Thank you very much. I'm excited to get one, and hoping I can get lucky with the price.I just found this guy http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4572395090.html is this a good deal?
Its been on the market a few months so I definitely get it inspected. It is also tiptronic hence the lower price.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 184 Posts

great looking car, GLWP

Quick Reply: New to the forum & Porsche scene!