964 IB backdate

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 AM
London911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 IB backdate

Hi all,

I've recently bought a fabulous dark blue (non metallic) 964 C2 with black and burgundy interior. The burgundy is doors, seats & carpet and looks wonderful, far better than I would have ever imagined. Enthusiast owners previously and in good shape but does now need a top end rebuild, new clutch etc so it will be going into the shop shortly...

I love the 964 as it's basically the beautiful classic shell but with power steering (and I live in a big city), ABS (and I live in the UK so lots of wet greasy roads), improved rear suspension, and a great engine.

However, I was born '71 and so grew up in the Impact Bumper era and just really love those cars (I have a completely original 930 3.0 Turbo also). Hence I was thinking of doing an Impact bumper backdate, to a late 70s look with a whale tail spoiler. I'd love a similar look to the attached picture (but in the original dark blue).

I'd change the bumpers, sills & oil lines (some work there to get right), rear deck with spoiler, and then have nickel plated window and light surrounds. Plus use OEM 16" Fuchs (again some work there for brakes, carriers and for the ABS to work properly).

Interior I'd keep pretty much stock except for replacing the headlining for the lighter perforated version and an earlier steering wheel.

What do people think or suggest? I've been looking for threads on an IB backdate but can't find anything so far.

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another London 964 owner? We need pictures of the car or it never happened

From your description your 964, you bought one that belonged to a fellow Rennlister IIRC and is a gorgeous example. Congrats.

EDIT: Here is a lovely back date thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...lf-3-0-rs.html
Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 AM
London911
Instructor

Pictures here and you're probably right.

It's going to be tough to backdate as the original is gorgeous too, and I don't think I could ever cut it up to a pre '73 backdate as it's just too nice but an IB backdate should be reversible.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 AM
London911
Instructor

More...
Attached Images    
Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by London911
Pictures here and you're probably right.

It's going to be tough to backdate as the original is gorgeous too, and I don't think I could ever cut it up to a pre '73 backdate as it's just too nice but an IB backdate should be reversible.
That's the one! It's gorgeous - love the interior.

In my humble opinion, take the time to live with the car - it'll give you time to think about what you'd like to achieve. I would personally concentrate on getting it mechanically sound before spending money on back dating.

I think you've got something really specially there, midnight blue C2 Coupe manuals are rare. I'd keep it in 964 guise - it's a very pretty car.

How about just building a very strong engine with some HP upgrades - since the engine needs work anyway? Who works your P-Cars?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:11 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice - Backdates should only start out with cars that need serious bodywork from the onset.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to get 16 inch fuchs on a 964 is to make a supersport backdate using narrow body 964 and even then it will be tight.

You can get most bits inc the sills from here:
http://www.f-s-h.com/contents/en-uk/...Turbo_930.html

That said I'd go and find a dog of a 964 to cut into instead as your car looks too special to mess with.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No way - leave that car as it is. It's a lovely and rare example of a 964. If you want to cut one up you should start with a car needing work in a less rare colour combo.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 AM
ChrisD
Instructor

Agree with the sentiments of leaving it as a "standard" C2, especially in such a nice colour combo. Stock C2s seem to be more of a rarity at the moment and it would seem a shame to do major backdate work on such a nice example?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:11 AM
London911
Instructor

I really appreciate all the comments (such a great forum). 'Living with it' definitely a good approach and the top end rebuild and clutch can wait out the summer I'm sure.

I've never done anything other than keep completely standard with my prior & other cars, even down to only OEM parts so I'm in new territory thinking of this... Currently Tech9 are restoring a '77 930 Turbo for me and its OEM all the way, no upgrades at all, and using as many of the original parts as possible to maintain the patina whilst making mechanically like new. However, I've also been spending lots of time looking at the Singer website, Magnus Walker, the R Gruppe hot rods etc etc and I find myself really drawn to doing something. A 964 backdate seems the perfect project to have some real fun with!

This car definitely feels very 'special' though and so I think I agree the way forward is to get this car mechanically perfect, and maybe even back to original, amber lenses, D90s etc, and then find a dreadful condition, horrible colour 964 to 'rescue' and transform...

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not sure if you've seen a 964 w/o the sills, but it's going to take significant metal work to backdate to a G-series type sill, and it will likely cost in excess of the original conversion (which won't be cheap either) to reverse back to 964 sills.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you thought about buying a G series car and fitting power steering and ABS to it instead?

I've no idea of what would be involved, but you can get electric power steering pumps now so no need to have the pipework to the engine and the camshaft operated pump.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
...In my humble opinion, take the time to live with the car - it'll give you time to think about what you'd like to achieve. I would personally concentrate on getting it mechanically sound before spending money on back dating.

I think you've got something really specially there, midnight blue C2 Coupe manuals are rare. I'd keep it in 964 guise - it's a very pretty car.

How about just building a very strong engine with some HP upgrades - since the engine needs work anyway?...
+1 Very wise comment.

Originally Posted by London911
...I've never done anything other than keep completely standard with my prior & other cars, even down to only OEM parts so I'm in new territory thinking of this... Currently Tech9 are restoring a '77 930 Turbo for me and its OEM all the way, no upgrades at all, and using as many of the original parts as possible to maintain the patina whilst making mechanically like new. However, I've also been spending lots of time looking at the Singer website, Magnus Walker, the R Gruppe hot rods etc etc and I find myself really drawn to doing something. A 964 backdate seems the perfect project to have some real fun with!
I can see that point too.

No doubt the 964 is a capable platform, so drive it for a bit and and hangout on Rennlist to get a better feel for what these cars are all about.

While you're hanging, checkout this tread for "some" of what's possible with this shell.

Backdates and other lightweight and/or retro ideas
Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas
Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
+1 Very wise comment. I can see that point too. No doubt the 964 is a capable platform, so drive it for a bit and and hangout on Rennlist to get a better feel for what these cars are all about. While you're hanging, checkout this tread for "some" of what's possible with this shell. Backdates and other lightweight and/or retro ideas Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas
Thanks, much appreciated. Fabulous thread. I love all the DP Motorsport cars and the latest PS Autoart Monaco car great also. Plenty to think on...
Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Those DP and PS cars come up for sale from time to time, perhaps buy one that's already done and let the 964 live. The thing is, almost no one backdates to impact bumpers, only long hood.

Quick Reply: 964 IB backdate