Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 IB backdate

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:32 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is such a great looking 964, I would not backdate one so unique.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:25 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by London911
I've never done anything other than keep completely standard with my prior & other cars, even down to only OEM parts so I'm in new territory thinking of this...
You can have a lot of fun modifying a 964 without having to back date it. Suspension, brakes, engine, interior, gearboxes, etc... it's a wonderful platform to modify. IMO, modify it within an inch of its life but stay true to the 964 original design - since yours is a lovely specimen.

Originally Posted by Vandit
PS cars come up for sale from time to time,
Bingo, here's IIRC the first one they did... the colours don't work for me but Cuse92's one is drop dead gorgeous...

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/classif...xperiment=true
Attached Images    
Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that flat still functional spoiler on the silver car. And that rear deck badging is looking good too. Something you wouldnt need a full backdate to have on a 964.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:43 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

All pre IB 964 backdates tend to look a bit pappa due to the oil line/sill issue.

an IB supersport/turbo looky-likey is the easiest to pull off and look convincing, not a bad look either:

Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 PM
London911
Instructor

Thanks for all the thoughts. It is a really lovely car and wonderful colour & leather combo, and nice for me to hear that reinforced by all the knowledgable folks here.

I'd thought an IB backdate might be much simpler than pre 73 but seems still the sill / oil issues and I do agree that needs sorting properly to look good.

As it needs engine work then maybe I'll focus on the updates that keep it looking mostly original but improve it mechanically. A lot of common mods already done, G pipe, heater fan delete, lowered, cup alloys etc. However, probably time for new shocks and a rebush etc. and the major work is the top end rebuild and clutch.

Maybe the suspension & engine should be the focus of the 'fun' for this one... I'd read that a MoTec ECU / system really improved the mid range for these engines? Any advice on a good 'engine package'?

Also for suspension this is a car to A/ enjoy with the family so can't ride too hard and B/ enjoy on my own for B road blasts in the Cotswolds. Any good packages for that?

Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 PM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jevvy964
All pre IB 964 backdates tend to look a bit pappa due to the oil line/sill issue. an IB supersport/turbo looky-likey is the easiest to pull off and look convincing, not a bad look either:
That is a great look!!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the thoughts. It is a really lovely car and wonderful colour & leather combo, and nice for me to hear that reinforced by all the knowledgable folks here.

I'd thought an IB backdate might be much simpler than pre 73 but seems still the sill / oil issues and I do agree that needs sorting properly to look good.

As it needs engine work then maybe I'll focus on the updates that keep it looking mostly original but improve it mechanically. A lot of common mods already done, G pipe, heater fan delete, lowered, cup alloys etc. However, probably time for new shocks and a rebush etc. and the major work is the top end rebuild and clutch.

Maybe the suspension & engine should be the focus of the 'fun' for this one... I'd read that a MoTec ECU / system really improved the mid range for these engines? Any advice on a good 'engine package'?

Also for suspension this is a car to A/ enjoy with the family so can't ride too hard and B/ enjoy on my own for B road blasts in the Cotswolds. Any good packages for that?

Thanks again.
Couple of good threads on here re: redtek engine packages and kw or bilstein suspension.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:38 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Couple of good threads on here re: redtek engine packages and kw or bilstein suspension.
And you can go it 9M as another great option.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

London911, that's a great 964, love the colour combo, don't back date, it will a loss to the brotherhood that is 964 owners.

Make her better than she is now, and keep up the hunt for a poor car to do the back date on.

I'm planning a 964 Cab to wide body Speedster, once I get my 964 where I want her, and that's not quite going to plan so the speedster project might some way of in the future, but I've already found a base to start from that will cost less than £10k and it's not that bad really.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:53 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

As it needs engine work then maybe I'll focus on the updates that keep it looking mostly original but improve it mechanically.
Bingo - there's soooo much awesome stuff to do to these cars. Actually since you are a fellow London you should come and get some inspiration.

There's a group of that meet up for a drive & lunch every month or so. It's always a good laugh and a great time to chat 964 mods and get inspiration from already modded cars. Next one is on Sunday 1st June - no anoraks, no show cars just a happy bunch of lads.

and the major work is the top end rebuild and clutch.
What are the reasons for the top end needing a rebuild?

Suspension is a great one. They're are fantastic systems by KW and Bilstein that allow you make your car handle in a completely bespoke manner to your requirements. By being able to adjust compression and decompression setting, ride hight and rated slings. Just don't neglect anti roll bars. In fact personally I would start with roll bars first and see how you get on... H&R do a great set.

Engine, so much fun to be had. A nice remap with the original Motronic system should give you close to 300HP. I would say the additional cost of Motec is not necessary unless you're planning a big HP engine.

A very nice mod is a cup cam with a remap. Which will give you a wonderful boost on cam. There are several members that have done just that t great effect at REDTEK.

All in all its fun to theorise about engine mods, however opening an engine can be a can of worms. So the best thing to do is it open it up and see what needs essential replacing and then mod from there.

For example of is P&Cs are shot you may take the op to 3.8 items... If your cams need replacing then why not go with Cup cams...

A lot of us here who have first hand experience would recommend Nick Fulljames at REDTEK for rebuilds in the UK. All he does is build 911 engines from simple to crazy. It's pretty much becoming a no brainer for a very transparent, on budget, exciting and pleasant rebuild experience.

As above, a KW or Bilstien set up will allow you to make it silky smooth and comfortable for family duties and then when/ if you wanna get serious for track or a solo drive you can simply click the suspension to harder and suddenly the car is transformed for the occasion.

Simpler options are a set of Bilsteins with H&R red or green springs (although they have changed colour). However no adjustability there.

It is and here is an example of how great a midnight blue 964 can look on a set of period correct racing gold BBS wheels...

Anyway I better get out of bed as the Miss is yapping and I've gotten carried away. Have a great weekend and go drive!
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2014, 01:02 PM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
There's a group of that meet up for a drive & lunch every month or so. It's always a good laugh and a great time to chat 964 mods and get inspiration from already modded cars. Next one is on Sunday 1st June - no anoraks, no show cars just a happy bunch of lads. Anyway I better get out of bed as the Miss is yapping and I've gotten carried away. Have a great weekend and go drive!
Great advice at the end there!

Meeting would be great, out of town June 1st but the next one would be perfect (and my fractured left leg should have healed by then too so the clutch will be easier...)

Engine needs a rebuild as its leaking oil badly. It's a late '89 build and never had a gasket and so seems just the top end would sort everything nicely. Not looking for huge HP just good drivability and a great but still neighbour friendly noise!

Adjustable suspension would be stunning :-) I'd love to be able to alter the compression & rebound to suit the purpose - even if the benefit is just plain fun. I love seeing those remote reservoirs behind the seats on some of the earlier singer builds. Must do that!

The BBS wheels look fabulous as well, thanks for the pictures. How cool are they?!

Okay, so now it's engine, suspension and BBS wheels (in gold)...

Also, as luck would have it the CoA came from Porsche this morning and the interior is marked as 'custom'. I suspected something different as full black dash / steering wheel with burgundy everything else was never a standard option. Great to have that.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

Congratulations on finding such a beautiful car, in a rare combo too!

Four years ago I bought my 964 Carrera 2 to backdate, inspired by PS and Singer, to take me back to the 911's of my youth. I decided to live with my car for a while since it was so beautiful and had only covered 70k miles from new.

Here she is 4 years later:

You've guessed, it would have been a shame to spoil my 964, so you're halfway converted I concentrated all my efforts on the engine, suspension and braking system and I've loved every minute.

Back in the day I've owned a 204bhp SC and a Carrera 3.2. Of course they both had their merits but I can honestly say for me the SC was the nicer car, but I consider the 964 a purer shape and a better car in every other way.

Stick with it, for a while at least.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 05-17-2014, 06:01 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Backdating is a fad. Can't beat a true to form original. In my mind it's no different than a 959 body kit on a 964, even a F40 kit on a Fiero.

That's a great car you have there.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:43 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Great advice at the end there!

Meeting would be great, out of town June 1st but the next one would be perfect (and my fractured left leg should have healed by then too so the clutch will be easier...)

Engine needs a rebuild as its leaking oil badly. It's a late '89 build and never had a gasket and so seems just the top end would sort everything nicely. Not looking for huge HP just good drivability and a great but still neighbour friendly noise!

Adjustable suspension would be stunning :-) I'd love to be able to alter the compression & rebound to suit the purpose - even if the benefit is just plain fun. I love seeing those remote reservoirs behind the seats on some of the earlier singer builds. Must do that!

The BBS wheels look fabulous as well, thanks for the pictures. How cool are they?!

Okay, so now it's engine, suspension and BBS wheels (in gold)...

Also, as luck would have it the CoA came from Porsche this morning and the interior is marked as 'custom'. I suspected something different as full black dash / steering wheel with burgundy everything else was never a standard option. Great to have that.

Thanks.
How bad is the oil leak? Mine is a 90 car and leaks a bit but I just top up the oil every couple of mths. Leak down tests on engine showed it was in rude health and pulls like a train. So you may not need to have it rebuilt. A reseal is also an option at around 2-3k
Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
How bad is the oil leak? Mine is a 90 car and leaks a bit but I just top up the oil every couple of mths. Leak down tests on engine showed it was in rude health and pulls like a train. So you may not need to have it rebuilt. A reseal is also an option at around 2-3k
This is very sound advise.

Quick Reply: 964 IB backdate