964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Old 03-21-2019, 04:10 PM
TCallahan
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster here on rennlis. Im in NJ but had a good friend who lives in FL year round looked at that red 1994 mentioned above when it was listed on autotrader and the car was really beat up and had lots of body work.

He isn't exactly a 911 guy but he knows cars very well (big time muscle car collector) and he told me not to waste my time. 24 hours later it was sold to a collector/dealer in NY or NJ if I remember correctly.

Decided it is too hard to find the 964 i want and now searching for a 997 Turbo. Just trying to help anyone from into a problem since the forums have been so helpful to me over the past few months. maybe the new seller has fixed the car but a detailed inspection would be a must.

Thanks, Tom
Old 03-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TCallahan
Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster here on rennlis. Im in NJ but had a good friend who lives in FL year round looked at that red 1994 mentioned above when it was listed on autotrader and the car was really beat up and had lots of body work.

He isn't exactly a 911 guy but he knows cars very well (big time muscle car collector) and he told me not to waste my time. 24 hours later it was sold to a collector/dealer in NY or NJ if I remember correctly.

Decided it is too hard to find the 964 i want and now searching for a 997 Turbo. Just trying to help anyone from into a problem since the forums have been so helpful to me over the past few months. maybe the new seller has fixed the car but a detailed inspection would be a must.

Thanks, Tom
Good man. And welcome!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

964's offered for sale these days definitely fall in the camp of 'if it looks too good to be true, it certainly is'... shrinking pool of these cars, and ever rising interest on the part of P-car fans, old and new.

Nice 964's are still available, mostly in vert, and to a lesser degree, c4 coupe form, but even c4's are being snapped up quickly by hobbyists as well as the singer-conversion crowd, if not singer itself for the tubs.

Key thing is to find a car that has been fairly and honestly represented, properly and knowledgeably rehabbed, and most likely owned for some time, as opposed to recently bought and quickly flipped.

And given the values, hobbyists are right to look at the alternative sports cars and even other-gen 911's that could be bought with the 70-80k that is needed to have a nice, and sorted 964.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
964's offered for sale these days definitely fall in the camp of 'if it looks too good to be true, it certainly is'... shrinking pool of these cars, and ever rising interest on the part of P-car fans, old and new.

Nice 964's are still available, mostly in vert, and to a lesser degree, c4 coupe form, but even c4's are being snapped up quickly by hobbyists as well as the singer-conversion crowd, if not singer itself for the tubs.

Key thing is to find a car that has been fairly and honestly represented, properly and knowledgeably rehabbed, and most likely owned for some time, as opposed to recently bought and quickly flipped.

And given the values, hobbyists are right to look at the alternative sports cars and even other-gen 911's that could be bought with the 70-80k that is needed to have a nice, and sorted 964.
Pretty much spot on.....

I do think there might still be some Targa deals out there assuming you’re ok with the looks. Other than the need to rehab the top (assuming it’s not already done) they really don’t detract from the overall experience and if anything they improve it on the nicer days!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib

you just summed up the current 964 market perfectly. Great post.
I will add that I think in a few years people are going to be kicking themselves for overlooking what a great value the convertibles are right now. The coupe craze doesn’t seem to be slowing down but a convertible can still be had for a fraction of the price and is still a fantastic car especially in warmer climates as Marine noted above in reference to Targas.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:59 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

I sold my black 48k mile mint 1991 coupe for $83k ... probably shouldn't have because it will be worth 100k in the not too distant future. That figure was shared with me by a very respectable air cooled seller in Pennsylvania that most on this forum know of ...
Old 03-22-2019, 05:39 PM
klaasvs31
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
Each are 85k asking price.... red is the same one as already posted and bottom is a ‘90 Slate Gray no sunroof ROW C4 with ~20k miles (32k km). Clean cars. GL to the buyers.

The slate grey is a Japanese car and no way I believe this is a 32K KM car (20K miles).... Wheels are clearly aftermarket, as also stated by Cobalt, while they are saying in the video they are original Cup 1's..
Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
I will add that I think in a few years people are going to be kicking themselves for overlooking what a great value the convertibles are right now. The coupe craze doesn’t seem to be slowing down but a convertible can still be had for a fraction of the price and is still a fantastic car especially in warmer climates as Marine noted above in reference to Targas.
+1
Cabs are far and away the best buy atm. People get tunnel vision over the rat race and forget how fun it is to own a vert. Romping around with the top down on a sunny day is the best. Nothin but glorious noise and fresh air. Yeah coupes are the only ones fit for competition and handle a little better but are the majority of buyers really out there sliding these things around a track? (No)
Why not grab a cab and a hardtop (e.g. D Moris), slap it on and live the coupe life for a fraction of what you’d be into for the real deal? Bonus option to revert, maybe even seasonally. Do I think “damn wish I had a roof over my head” when I’m winding out 2nd gear on a summer day? Take a guess.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:41 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsix964
Yeah coupes are the only ones fit for competition and handle a little better
^ According to keyboard racers Stock coupe vs stock cab, you might find a tenth difference if you're Walter Rohrl due to the extra weight. Extensively prepared coupe vs cab on race rubber, sure the cab starts feeling squishy. Of course, add rollbars/cages and your back to pretty equal footing. Maybe advantage to the cab. Compare no roof at all and low center of gravity reinforcement panel weight, to coupe steel roof with no reinforcement weight.

Anyway, nothing wrong with an aesthetic preference. Not everyone's favorite dessert is the same.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Anyway, nothing wrong with an aesthetic preference. Not everyone's favorite dessert is the same.
Absolutely true! And if you’ve just gotta have a coupe, then by all means, go out and get it. I’m certainly not condemning anyone with that preference. But cabs carry an undeniable connotation of inferiority among the enthusiast community and that’s where I get a little lost and tend to agree with the guys above. A few years down the line when a C2 coupe is commanding an even more insane premium I think a lot of people are going to have a “hmm” moment over the ‘verts.
After all, they’ve all got the same engine.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my cab and the money and time I saved not searching for and buying a coup.
it was easy to find a real nice cab at an affordable price.
and I really only use it with the top down and cabs with the top dropped look great IMO

Last edited by Norse_man; 03-24-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Norse_man
Love my cab and the money and time I saved not searching for and buying a coup.
it was easy to find a real nice cab at an affordable price.
and I really only use it with the top down and cabs with the top dropped look great IMO
I haven’t really focused on cabs much but I am curious if most of the 964 cabs have had their tops replaced and or if the tops hold up well and are not in need of replacement? For me that’s always been the part that scares me but maybe its a non issue? It definitely would be a fun addition!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Trapperbay
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lasting power of the top depends on a few things. It wears more the more it goes up and down. More time in the down position causes more wear. Exposure to the elements.

Mine is original but I bought it from my dad and know it's been up 99.9% of the time and the car only has 29k mi. So the only thing time has really impacted is slight fading even though its been stored inside. I just recently treated it with the Porsche convertible top sealer and it did darken it up a bit.

I hope to be able to give you a better answer after this summer and I put some miles on it.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

If anyone insists on looking into a car at RMC, ask them to take the car to Champion to get a PPI. Good chance they will tell you it's too far and suggest their buddies in Miami. Insist they take it to Champion. They know damn well if they bring a POS up there they will get called on it, so you can save yourself a lot of time and money by making a Champion PPI a condition of buying the car. I've heard good things about Parkhaus as well, but they charge $600 just for a leak down test.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 PM
xgrudgex
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
If anyone insists on looking into a car at RMC, ask them to take the car to Champion to get a PPI. Good chance they will tell you it's too far and suggest their buddies in Miami. Insist they take it to Champion. They know damn well if they bring a POS up there they will get called on it, so you can save yourself a lot of time and money by making a Champion PPI a condition of buying the car. I've heard good things about Parkhaus as well, but they charge $600 just for a leak down test.
SECONDED!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale