Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
It says the PO spent $12k on it, although no pics of the receipts he mentions. Looks like they did the control arm bushings and suspension.

The price is pure lunacy.
I know of a similar car with similar miles although completely original for $116k a few years back. This car would require a full PPI for close to this money. I am concerned about the seats and why were new suspension parts needed at such low mileage. Something isn't adding up.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I know of a similar car with similar miles although completely original for $116k a few years back. This car would require a full PPI for close to this money. I am concerned about the seats and why were new suspension parts needed at such low mileage. Something isn't adding up.
Agreed. Perhaps front suspension was damaged ? By the looks of the front end undercarriage and massive amount of scrapes it would seem likely...
Old 02-15-2019, 02:15 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Nevermind...
Old 02-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

The compressor and the tool kit are shown in other pictures.

Obviously the wrong seats and they're probably out of a car with many more miles, why?

For that kind of money this car had better be perfect. As far as I can tell its not. I would love to see paint meter shots.

That's a lot of scraping (as Cobalt said) under the car for such a short amount of miles.

Is the market really this insane? It really makes me much less interested in these cars when they're priced such that you cant buy em and drive em anymore.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Back in 1997 when I lived for a short time in Santa Monica I went into this dealer's place a couple times to look at a few cars. I had my 94 Speedster in those days. After my second visit I decided I would never buy a car there based on what I saw. Now that was 20 years ago so I would hardly hold that against them now and they look like they have some nice cars. Their prices on the other hand are out of control. Who pays those numbers for run of the mill cars with decent miles? I am about to sell off one of my cars, an 88 guards red / linen coupe with 68k. I would be pleased with something in the $50's and its a really nice car with a fresh suspension, fresh valve adjustment, and totally gone through. There is a little dimple in the drivers door (thanks to my son AJ) but I'll have it PDR'd and it will be un-noticeable. Couple other minor nit picks but I am being critical. They have an 88 same color with a couple grand more on it for $65k... who the hack pays those prices?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-15/

Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:59 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Kind of sexy. Kind of not.

A hot mess......

I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:23 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Trader220
Back in 1997 when I lived for a short time in Santa Monica I went into this dealer's place a couple times to look at a few cars. I had my 94 Speedster in those days. After my second visit I decided I would never buy a car there based on what I saw. Now that was 20 years ago so I would hardly hold that against them now and they look like they have some nice cars. Their prices on the other hand are out of control. Who pays those numbers for run of the mill cars with decent miles? I am about to sell off one of my cars, an 88 guards red / linen coupe with 68k. I would be pleased with something in the $50's and its a really nice car with a fresh suspension, fresh valve adjustment, and totally gone through. There is a little dimple in the drivers door (thanks to my son AJ) but I'll have it PDR'd and it will be un-noticeable. Couple other minor nit picks but I am being critical. They have an 88 same color with a couple grand more on it for $65k... who the hack pays those prices?
idiots in LA LA Land...I kid, but not really.
They’ve been around long enough to hold cars until they get close to their asking price. And their prices are usually 10-15% above asking...which would put your ‘88 close to what you think it’s worth compared to the one they have.
But I do agree with the 964 in question being suspect...especially at that asking price 😳
Old 02-15-2019, 08:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

The BaT car IMO is a joke. It is a slapped together look. Stock engine poser car two pot rear brakes painted red???. Didn't take that much to build and a lot makes no sense. But looks pretty. Sorry I call it as I see it.

When the market started going crazy years ago I said it had all the earmarks of the 80's grey market and they said I was crazy. It has played out exactly the same. I helped import a lot of cars and in 84 they were all nice honest and great buys but 85 the market turned to "original paint including the painted exhaust" Many got suckered into buying cars that weren't as represented. Nothing against the seller but if you're going to sell a car like this for this money make sure it is original and I suspect some paint work but hard to say. I have many friends who sell lots of nice cars and they miss some things but it is easy enough to check options and for a car this low miles to need replacement seats and were replaced with base worn seats throws a huge red flag up in my book. But I'm not his target audience.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 PM
LAcarguy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto, 1994. I was into muscle cars, they had some Shelbys, roach coaches mostly and they all flew out the door. Zero point in buying there.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:38 AM
PO968
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh

Agreed. Perhaps front suspension was damaged ? By the looks of the front end undercarriage and massive amount of scrapes it would seem likely...
I'm surprised about the partially rusty screws / nuts on a CA car. I know this only on cars with this low mileage here in Germany which were driven in the winter salt.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

not for me. It’s not a thought through build with an end destination other than cosmetics.
Wide body and a bunch of bolt on bits but not really complete. And lots of details i see would need addressed.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

not for me. It’s not a thought through build with an end destination other than cosmetics.
Wide body and a bunch of bolt on bits but not really complete. And lots of details i see would need addressed.

some of the comments on BAT crack me up... guess bored ignorant keyboard jockeys treating the auctions as a spectator sport... doesn't take much more than a paint job and some martini stripes to impress
Old 02-16-2019, 10:55 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
some of the comments on BAT crack me up... guess bored ignorant keyboard jockeys treating the auctions as a spectator sport... doesn't take much more than a paint job and some martini stripes to impress
I particularly liked the comment about it being “90% a Singer” 😂
kids these days...
Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It’s definitely a cool looking car and I wouldn’t mind looking at it every day but it’s crazy that someone is going to spend $70k+ for this car. The photography is top notch and the BaT crowd is really hyping up this car. Apparently the seller has a great reputation but he stated that he built the car in two weeks. For the money this will sell for, you could find a really nice low mile original car. It’s interesting to see how the BaT comment section really influences bidders.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale