The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:17 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Get on it too much!?!?!!!!

No. You can't drive it too hard on the street if you aren't driving like an idiot, aka Paul walkers buddy, and apropos for today, James Dean....

You can over Rev it if you tend to miss shifts. And you probably don't want to be hitting the redline prior to the oil and motor heating up to spec. Outside that, it was made to drive. Revving it high is good for it. WOT is good for it. Maintaining it and changing fluids, etc, also good for it. When you drive hard, things wear, but the wearable things are all mean to be replaced. So you are good. I drive the **** out of mine all the time. All Year. We all should.

Go cars, not show cars...
Well said Goughary, I second your statement!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,287 Posts

No. You can't drive it too hard on the street if you aren't driving like an idiot, aka Paul walkers buddy, and apropos for today, James Dean....

You can over Rev it if you tend to miss shifts. And you probably don't want to be hitting the redline prior to the oil and motor heating up to spec. Outside that, it was made to drive. Revving it high is good for it. WOT is good for it. Maintaining it and changing fluids, etc, also good for it. When you drive hard, things wear, but the wearable things are all mean to be replaced. So you are good. I drive the **** out of mine all the time. All Year. We all should.

No doubt unless your trying to save gas on a long drive always a gear down and no less than 4k rpms on up 95% of the time. The twistier the road usually not below 5k. Drive it like you stole it, these cars love to be wound out. I think I use 5th gear 2% of the time. Most of the problems the 993's have with the carbon buildup and check engine light is from driving them like an old lady. These cars will do the same thing but the OBD1 does not sense it.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:45 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_V
It is the brake fluid overflow. I just did the TSB to remove it this weekend whenIj bled the brakes.
Yes. Confirmed. Now, what is this TSB you speak of...? I really see no need for the overflow tube. Never had one on any other car I've owned, never needed one. I'm not a slob when servicing brakes/fluid lol.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Yes. Confirmed. Now, what is this TSB you speak of...? I really see no need for the overflow tube. Never had one on any other car I've owned, never needed one. I'm not a slob when servicing brakes/fluid lol.
If you have a C4 with the electro hydraulic brake system you don't want to eliminate this. If the system looses pressure all the fluid in the pressure canister will be forced back into the reservoir. If this happens the reservoir will not be able to hold the extra fluid under pressure and force the fluid out the tube. Last thing you want is that fluid spilling under the battery or ABS pump. It will destroy the frunk area.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
If you have a C4 with the electro hydraulic brake system you don't want to eliminate this. If the system looses pressure all the fluid in the pressure canister will be forced back into the reservoir. If this happens the reservoir will not be able to hold the extra fluid under pressure and force the fluid out the tube. Last thing you want is that fluid spilling under the battery or ABS pump. It will destroy the frunk area.
Thankfully, I have a C2
Old 10-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
That's a good point.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:46 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
See post 6 of this helpful DIY on brake bleeding

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...procedure.html
Old 10-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear. I try to make sure I don't beat on the car, so I always let the oil cooler open before getting on it.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg_V
See post 6 of this helpful DIY on brake bleeding

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...procedure.html
Thanks!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:57 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default strut bar

hello, will a 993 strut bar fit on a 964? thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 01:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luckyJ
hello, will a 993 strut bar fit on a 964? thanks
Yep
Old 10-06-2015, 12:24 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

phew that's good to hear
Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, my dumb question is for the TIP drivers out there. How many of you drive the TIP 'manually' and how hard do you rev it if you do?
Old 10-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is something I've delayed for a while. Now with cooler temps I've tried to use the heat and just remembered I get some light fumes with the heat on only. Its not overpowering but it is noticeable. Once dial turned to cold it goes away, so I assume my flapper box is working, but I havent heard that clack/ting from the box when shutting the door in a while. What else can it be? One of my heater exchanger hoses has a slight poke in it so that I can see the white layer underneath, but that layer seems fully intact.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:48 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Another A/C related question....A/C has worked great all summer and the fan has been left on (position 1 or 2) all summer. I finally tried to put the fan to position 0 but I'm still getting air blwoing into the cabin (similar speed to position 1)...same behavior regardless of where the temp is set. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...