Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Old 08-23-2015, 01:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by MTR
When I bought my car the outer most plastic cover for the trunk release lever was broken and being held on with the incorrect bolts. I looked up the parts in the Porsche catalog and purchased the new cover piece (part #31) and two of the proper bolts (part #30). I tried installing it and quickly realized that there isn't anything for the bolts to thread into. I could get a nut on the lower bolt to tighten it up, but the catalog doesn't show any nuts to secure this piece. Also, I can't get a nut on the top bolt so it's loose.

So how am I supposed to secure this piece? What am I doing wrong?

There should be two threaded inserts part of part number 33 that the bolts screw into. I don't think you can buy them separately.

There is a slim possibility i have some floating around. I will check
Old 08-23-2015, 02:58 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MTR
When I bought my car the outer most plastic cover for the trunk release lever was broken and being held on with the incorrect bolts. I looked up the parts in the Porsche catalog and purchased the new cover piece (part #31) and two of the proper bolts (part #30). I tried installing it and quickly realized that there isn't anything for the bolts to thread into. I could get a nut on the lower bolt to tighten it up, but the catalog doesn't show any nuts to secure this piece. Also, I can't get a nut on the top bolt so it's loose.

So how am I supposed to secure this piece? What am I doing wrong?

The design of this part has changed from early (expanding insert) to later (threaded insert). The early (31 and 33) parts are not available through the dealer anymore. I tried to make the old 33 and the new 31 work together but slotting a receiving nut was impossible due to my fat fingers. I ended up buying the updated 33 part and reusing the old 31 with trimmed expanding tabs and enlarged bolt hole to make it fit over the carpet piece. The carpet piece changed as well from early to late 964 because the new 31 part doesn't line up with the old plastic under carpet moulding.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 08-23-2015, 03:16 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Anthony and Andrew. I knew something wasn't right. Anthony please let me know if you find the threaded parts so I can give that a shot. If not I guess I'll have to buy the new middle section.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
There should be two threaded inserts part of part number 33 that the bolts screw into. I don't think you can buy them separately.

There is a slim possibility i have some floating around. I will check
i need a replacement piece 33 also - early if you have it!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Never fails once I offer to do something or sell parts or inquiries come in and life gets in the way. Unfortunately I won't have time until next week to search. Didn't want you to think i forgot.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:05 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Thanks!! Gunna give this a try to see if these lights will stop coming on.

Will def be changing the fluid soon!
Been a few weeks since I've topped off the brake fluid....lights haven't come back. Thanks again guys!!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:29 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how

do you get the primary muffler strap bolts off? i can't fit a wrench or any sockets over the bolt because there is too little clearance in between the bolt and strap. the other side is fixed as it's a t-bolt. seems like a bad design unless my bolts happened to be replaced at some point.

Last edited by xcoldricex; 08-29-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Those are not the original bolts. The originals have 6mm allen heads. If that were mine, I would buy a cheap 13mm socket and thin the sides down so that you can remove the bolts. Then replace the bolts with originals. They are M8 x 80mm.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:37 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Got the drips....I mean my car does. LOL. Anyway, oil is dripping towards the front of the motor, maybe even in front of the motor. Can't tell until I get the car up in the air. Iany thoughts....motor or trans or diff??? Is there a way to tell the difference between motor oil and gear oil??
Old 09-04-2015, 02:48 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Got the drips....I mean my car does. LOL. Anyway, oil is dripping towards the front of the motor, maybe even in front of the motor. Can't tell until I get the car up in the air. Iany thoughts....motor or trans or diff??? Is there a way to tell the difference between motor oil and gear oil??
Gear oil will have a stinky odor. Motor oil generally has little odor. Some folks hate the smell of gear oil, I happen to enjoy it. If the oil is stinky, it's likely gear oil.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:10 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What is this big plastic tank in the rear wheel arch?

Well I thought I knew my car. But, turns out I have never fully taken off the left rear wheel arch shield - and now I have (to do some rust prevention), I find that there is a foot long black cylindrical plastic tank up there, with lines heading off who knows where attached to it.

How strange. What is it? And do I need it?

Not part of the a/c I don't think. Not a reservoir for any of the engine fluids I don't think. Something to do with central locking? Some rare Porsche secret prototype part that is worth millions?

Thanks in advance..
Old 09-05-2015, 04:45 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tis the carbon canister for the fuel fumes venting from the tank, alows the vented fumes to be burned via the intake rather than venting into the atmosphere.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Mr Quattro..OK, I have heard of that at least, always thought it was in the engine bay somewhere though.

Presumably it is safe to temporarily disconnect and remove to get access to the darker recesses of the arch..

(Thanks also for your 993 coil thread..I am also in the middle of that mod too )
Old 09-05-2015, 07:02 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Happy to help

I didn't disconnect mine, just removed the big clamp and dangled it from the pipes. My clamp was rusted to nothing and I had to cut through it. Dont bother with a replacement, it is worth just fitting a large stainless jubilee clip instead.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default The silly little question thread ...

Cv boots.

I'm going to change all inner and outer boots front and rear on my C4 soon.

Are the boots all the same inner and outer? Are the boots different front to rear? Is one brand of boot better than another?

Further. The boots are cheap of bought on their own. What size are the clamps on the fronts and rears should I choose to buy bulk. (I'll be doing three other cars after my own I think)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...