Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m 964C4 project car - 9m64RS Lightweight the likely outcome?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 9m 964C4 project car - 9m64RS Lightweight the likely outcome?

What can I say? I saw this 964C4 for sale and was completely lured in by the factory sunroof delete. Looks like a fairly honest car, the usual oil leaks, worn clutch, dropped engine mounts and a few minor electrical gremlins but it is all there, it runs fine and from what I can see bodywise it's only had a new right front wing in it's lifetime.
I'm not sure where the project will take me yet but I'm sure you can all guess that it will include some form of performance and handling packages, but let's see if Santa can find me a 6 speed gearbox for starters. No doubt you will all have plenty of suggestions!
Attached Images         
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
...I'm not sure where the project will take me yet but I'm sure you can all guess that it will include some form of performance and handling packages, but let's see if Santa can find me a 6 speed gearbox for starters. No doubt you will all have plenty of suggestions!
First of all thanks for starting a 964 project, was getting tired of seeing 993 Speedsters...

Suggestions:
- 4.0 9M motor
- carbon brakes (castoff, gen 1 PCCB)
- adjustable power split (via dash ****)
- height adjustable suspension
- carbon fenders and lids. Duck tail.
- HID lights
- lightweight focus everywhere, but not stripped. (N/GT with some carpet, crank windows)
- rennline lower dash, with all switches moved to a dashboard block off plate (link)
- rain gutter delete
- exhaust with "capped" third outlet.
- clean engine appearance - replace power steering with electric GT3, relocate to frunk, move oil tank to frunk (shift that weight), backdate heat.
- lightweight battery (less than 10 lbs).
- no radio/speakers

Last edited by 911Jetta; 12-17-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM
VR6-er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love ruffled seats, If you're selling, I'll take the interior. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!

(Have fun with it)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What happened to the Orange Speedster? Looking forward to see more posts there.

Lightweight 964, big engine, right stance, does not need much more, does it? Will love to see what you come out with, your taste and imagination will surely yield a keeper.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by VR6-er
Ah ha! I'm another one of those sad people who likes sports seats, ruffled leather and the biscuit colour, it's a pretty rare combination from what I can tell? My everyday car is a red Audi S4 Avant and that has a charcoal & carbon interior with silver (beige grey) seats and I always feel better for it feeling light and airy, hence why I was even more attracted to the combination. Unfortunately that means that I won't be in a rush to part with the interior just yet, but if/when I do I will definitely give you first refusal, OK?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:33 PM
orp73
Racer

Best of luck Colin, love the D90's , just wish they did them in 17'

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VR6-er
Yeah, me too Colin! I have ruffled comfort seats and would love a set of ruffled sport seats in Cashmere!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Is this going to be a reasonable 9M build? No strip down and repaint/replate every nook, cranny, nut and bolt?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed. Hope alls well Colin. Look forward to the updates. Is this a customer or personal build? What's the car's usage going to be?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rally-meister!!!! Keep the 4wd, strip it and cage it, slap some repro Compagnolo wheels on there, and make it the terror of europe.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Augustomf
What happened to the Orange Speedster? Looking forward to see more posts there.
The orange 9m93 Speedster S should be fully painted by the end of the week, panels are being flatted off now.

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Lightweight 964, big engine, right stance, does not need much more, does it? Will love to see what you come out with, your taste and imagination will surely yield a keeper.
One of the reasons for buying the car was to use as a test bed for a new 9m 964/993 performance engine package which is planned for final development early in 2014. The suspension might receive a set of KW V3 or possibly a Clubsport package with RS top mounts, but again we might use it to try to try out some new ideas that we have in that department as well. As for looks, I think a set of 17" Cup 1's and teardrops will do for starters.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vandit
Is this going to be a reasonable 9M build? No strip down and repaint/replate every nook, cranny, nut and bolt?
Not at the moment, the idea is to first go through the car and get everything reliable and working whist making a few subtle changes whilst contemplating the complete package.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:03 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Subscribed. Hope alls well Colin. Look forward to the updates. Is this a customer or personal build? What's the car's usage going to be?
It's my own car (at the moment) so I'm thinking of daily driver with track day potential. To be honest, although I've got my 993RS in the shop I've been watching you boys with your 964's and decided that I might be able to join in with some of the fun on track. Obviously it also won't do the business any harm to have a rolling test-bed for the 9m 964 performance conversions and be able to demonstrate the performance on track to potential new customers. Proof of the pudding, so to speak.

The other reason I bought it is down to my mate Adrian Palmer who was the register sec of the 964RS section of the Porsche Club. He left his car with me for a year or two when he moved house and I loved driving it, so here is my chance to re-live that experience. Of course, it also helped that his RS had a 380hp 9m ITB engine in the back...
Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

nice one colin something to watch progress in 2014

Quick Reply: 9m 964C4 project car - 9m64RS Lightweight the likely outcome?