Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m 964C4 project car - 9m64RS Lightweight the likely outcome?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 03:31 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to following this thread!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm still debating the final outcome for this project, so whilst I am deliberating wheel choices and engine, transmission & handling specifications we decided to prepare it for the MOT.

Priority number one is a quick engine service and re-seal of the leaking rocker covers, new rear drive shaft boot and a pair of new flanges for the heat exchanger and cat. The cam cover leaks is down to the usual corrosion and flaking of the factory paint; this can obviously be sorted by blasting & repainting but with the bodyshop flat out on projects we decided to use a little gasket sealant under the rubber seals instead. Valve clearances were adjusted, surprisingly tight on the exhaust and slack on the intake. The engine has had a top end rebuild sometime in its life, as can be seen by the sealant liberally applied to the ends of all the rocker shafts. Again this can be sorted properly when the engine is rebuilt.
The heat exchanger will be removed for a new flange, I think the old one has seen its best days by a couple of years or more. The inner rear drive shaft boot is an easy change, we simply removed the shaft to do the change on the bench.
Attached Images          
Old 01-06-2014, 03:03 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The boys kindly removed the left hand heat exchanger and welded on a new flange to effect a complete repair; note that we welded on a mild steel flange (as original) not stainless steel because stainless would distort heavily under localised welding. For now the original cat has been resigned to the spares shelf and we've decided to fit a cat bypass tube in front of the Cup pipe, although I suspect I will be fitting the rear silencer back on soon enough once I have annoyed the neighbours sufficiently with the increased noise level. Strangely the right hand side final silencer also required a weld repair to rectify the mounting flange which had partially broken away - a failure I have not seen before.

Whilst under the car, the fuel lines have been carefully rubbed down, painted and waxoyled to prevent heavier corrosion on the bend at the back edge of the floorpan. This is a common rust point for these pipes and I heartily recommend everyone to take similar preventative measures against corrosion before it takes hold and renders the fuel lines unsafe to use.

This lot should be sufficient to get the 964 happily through an MOT, so I'll be tinkering with the minor electrical issues next whist trying to find or build a C2 gearbox.....
Attached Images       
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
orp73
Racer

Colin, does Marc not have my old C2 box?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by orp73
Colin, does Marc not have my old C2 box?
No, unfortunately, that's why we are looking into options to either buy or build a 6 speed C2 box. Before I get stoned by all the C4 owners, I should mention that the intention with this car is to use it as a development tool for engines and suspension, hence we need to be able to run and tune the engines on our 2wd dyno.

Last job of the basics done today: for the time being we replaced the collapsed engine mounts with a pair of good used ones left over from a 9m64RS build project. Here are the trashed old ones that we removed.
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ looks jus like the ones that came out of my car.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm in. I think the factory term is 'Supple Leather' on those sport seats, don't think I've ever seen the combo before ....
Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to seeing this one develop Colin!

Am I the only person who does NOT like the "ruffled" leather seats??? Hideous in a 964. Belong in some Merc or Lexus tourer.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Am I the only person who does NOT like the "ruffled" leather seats??? Hideous in a 964. Belong in some Merc or Lexus tourer.
Nope me too!

Keep the good work coming Colin

Chris
Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feels much better while driving naked though
Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
I'm in. I think the factory term is 'Supple Leather' on those sport seats, don't think I've ever seen the combo before ....
It was option 980 - Seat cover Ruffled Leather.

I personally like it and it feels as though the leather is actually thicker than the standard seat leather, but that might just be me!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice to see that the seats command a definite love/hate relationship.

My next job is to dry out the damp from the interior and work out where the moisture is coming in to the car, leave it outside for a couple of days and it immediately steams up. I suspect that it is from damaged or missing foils behind the door panels so I will start there and replace the faulty driver's side door lock release microswitch whilst it's apart.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this one develop Colin! Am I the only person who does NOT like the "ruffled" leather seats??? Hideous in a 964. Belong in some Merc or Lexus tourer.
I agree. Should be found in a 70s Lincoln.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
orp73
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
I agree. Should be found in a 70s Lincoln.
except the 70's Lincoln would have it in burgundy velour
Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orp73
except the 70's Lincoln would have it in burgundy velour
With matching "****-pile" carpet

Chris

Quick Reply: 9m 964C4 project car - 9m64RS Lightweight the likely outcome?