Sponsored by:

RSR suspension installed. Too lower

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RSR suspension installed. Too low

I've finally installed RSR Suspensions. What a PITA!

Result is a bumpy ride on rough road, NYC roads alike. and very very smooth ride on good roads. So far, my impression is positive.

but the ride height is too low to my liking.

Shocks are Bilstein, and the springs are Eibach 8" 300lbs F, 400lbs R. with helper springs.

my question is how much ride height adjustment I have with these kind of setup. They are not coilovers, so the strut height isn't adjustable. I'd like to raise the rear (or overall) about 1/2", it looks slammed now

Please see pictures below. Obviously, rear wheel is with massive negative camber, toe is all messed up. very messed up alignment at the moment. Will address this soon.

Stock
Name:  O7rxGwA.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  414.8 KB

With rsr suspension.
Name:  OU33Vu7.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  221.8 KB
Name:  XLfJRPx.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  162.7 KB

The suspensions

Attachment 1364348
Name:  W2acRCD.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  132.8 KB
Name:  ZM4lU0I.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  112.4 KB

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 09-24-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, they are coilovers.

to check how much adjustment you have remaining until you reach the limit, just look at your photos and see how much thread is remaining for when you adjust the adjustable spring platform.

looks like no issue to hit your target.

although i must be missing something? if you are handy enough to install the coilovers, then why ask this basic question?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

SML,

The coilovers I installed on other cars in the past had adjustable strut length. Not just shorter springs. But this setup doesn't. the threads on the RSR strut body is only for spring preloads I believe.

as is now, the springs have zero preload.

Please correct my confusion about coilvers vs strut/spring combo... I always thought all coilovers setup have height adjustable struts.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

from what I can see in the photos, the coilovers look 'standard' to me.

are you saying that you cannot adjust the large collar and locking collar? if not, why not?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

I think what FlyinTomato means, is that the shocks aren't adjustable for length, like some high-end coilovers are (eg JIC Cross)...which would allow you to set ride height independently of spring preload.

But I figure you have nothing to lose...wind up the spring platforms to get more height, and see if that might make the ride quality noticeably worse.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Babalouie
I think what FlyinTomato means, is that the shocks aren't adjustable for length, like some high-end coilovers are (eg JIC Cross)...which would allow you to set ride height independently of spring preload.
Yea .. I know I know .. he said they were non-adjustable from the start ... but why?

They look the same as my JIC Cross ... obviously I had the locking collar loosened off whilst I was tinkering.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...all-diy-2.html

Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

They look adjustable to me too. Ride height on my KWs is adjusted simply by winding the collars.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

I have to admit that I didnt try to adjust the coilovers before putting them on. I simply measured the length to make sure both sides are the same. And making sure there was zero preload on the springs.

They were from a Rsa. Previous owner did a direct swap. Okay. Problem is me being lazy.

Reading the link from sml, I think these shocks are indeed adjustable. They just seem different than what I had in the past.

I cant confirm until I see the car again Saturday. just hope they arent terribly hard to adjust while on the car.

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 08-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
just hope they arent terribly hard to adjust while on the car.
you will be fine .. not too bad at all.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

How much droop is in them when you jack up the car?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

@sml, will definitely report back again on Saturday with propgress on this. Thanks for all the tips.

@Vandit, I don't have that data, But I can tell you the springs spin freely, but without any room to move vertically. probably not enough info to determine anything.

one thing I fail to do was to write down all the measurement. learnt from the past, and this time again, rushing a job usually result a second, or third visit.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

When you jack up either end of the car, how much does the suspension extend before the tires leave the ground? This is "droop".

If your droop is non-existent, then you can't run the car any higher, it's impossible.

If there's still droop, then you can raise it. If the adjustment collars don't raise it enough (to your liking), and you still have droop, then you could swap out to a taller spring.

What you don't want to do is run the car so high that the suspension is fully extended when the car is sitting static on the ground (i.e. zero droop) cause the suspension needs some downward travel to work properly, especially on the street.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From your pictures, it seems as if they are already maxed out in terms of height. Unless there are some more threads that are hidden.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
From your pictures, it seems as if they are already maxed out in terms of height. Unless there are some more threads that are hidden.
I dont understand your comment.

There are clearly threads above the locking collars in this photo for the two coilovers on the right.

the one of the left is upside down and we cannot see.

Name:  W2acRCD.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  132.8 KB
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks like about a 1/2 inch of thread left to go lower on the fronts but he wants to go up so there are plenty of threads. Clean out the threads with some degreaser, get a couple of spanner wrenches to break the collars free and you're good to go.

On the rears, it looks like they took out the helper springs to get it lower or maybe avoid rubbing somewhere. Add the helpers back and you can adjust accordingly.

Wait are those like one coil helpers on the rear? Cut perhaps? Never seen any that short but with all that thread left, something looks off.

Last edited by Vegas993; 08-12-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: RSR suspension installed. Too lower