Sponsored by:

Cab Top Left Locking Motor Needs Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab Top Left Locking Motor Needs Repair

911 624 055 03 is the current p/n (mine is 911 624 055 01). Has anyone ever taken one of these apart and if so are they repairable? Anyone have a spare for sale?

New they are about $1000-$1400(!) and I see them at $400-$500 used...sigh
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes , most likely you have a broken tooth on the gear you can pull the gear and rotate it so that the broken tooth is not used and put it back on . it requires a lot of pounding to get it off. On mine several of the teeth were broken so I had to buy a new gear for $100 at vertex.
there is a good DIY on the 993 forum for it. the gear I got from vertex did not have a spot for a set screw(see picture) . But the gear and the cam to activate the switch is on so tight I don't think it matters.

Here is the DIY https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tch-motor.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-replace.html

Gear
http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...or%20Gear.aspx

Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 PM
hamah
Pro

Thanks John. I'll look into this.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM
hamah
Pro

Well it did turn out to be the gear and it had 2 broken teeth on oposite sides so I also got a replacement (also without the threaded hole to mount the cam) from Vertex.

In my case though the cam does need to be fastened to the gear with the screw so now I need to get a machine shop to drill and thread the hole for me.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Glad it worked out for you .. just paying it forward
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The top motors have given me grief since I got the car. It is not the gear, but how the micro switch works inside trhe motor. I have to try to source another cheap motor..No fun.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok- so I pulled the motor I thought was problematic, and opened up the motor. Got a missing tooth or two on one side. I'll pull the other side too.

edit: other side had a complete gear, so just one ordered. There was a free 3-day shipping coupon- code "3day"- that I used also.

Last edited by hawk911; 04-21-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM
hamah
Pro

If you are replacing the gear there are 2 versions, one with the threaded hole and one without (per John's pics above). I'm not sure which is newer but I suspect the one without the hole as mine had it and my motor p/n ended with "01". In my case the hole is definitely needed as the cam mounts to the gear using a screw threaded into this hole. Vertex did have both versions available at some point but only had the version without the hole when I placed my order. I then had to get the hole drilled and threaded by a machinist.

Here are the 2 versions.

The type where the cam mounts directly to the gear using a screw and the threaded hole. You can clearly see where the screw would go but it is missing from this pic.

The kind where the cam uses a set screw and circlip to hold it to the gear shaft. This does NOT need the threaded hole.

I see from this thread a mention of a recall kit that included both motors at far less cost than a single motor. Does anyone have any idea how to find out about this "recall kit". Any chance that if it had never been applied to the car it would still be available all these years later or would that have only been for a limited time?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by hawk911
ok- so I pulled the motor I thought was problematic, and opened up the motor. Got a missing tooth or two on one side. I'll pull the other side too.

edit: other side had a complete gear, so just one ordered. There was a free 3-day shipping coupon- code "3day"- that I used also.
If you are only missing a tooth or so on 1 side did you try to spin the gear 180 relative to the cam position? It's possible that that part of the worm wheel never contacts the worm during operation (although if, like me, you need the threaded hole you would still need to drill and tap a new one).
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there are 2 missing teeth, on opposite sides of the gear so I'll just replace and have the hole drilled and tapped. Going to replace the screws too, as the heads are slightly stripped
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
hamah
Pro

Well I'm not sure what happened but after waiting about a week in total for turn around on delivery of the gears, drilling/tapping the holes at a machinist, tweaking the alignment of the top (not to mention labour costs) the new gear from Vertex stripped!

This is too much hassle and expense to continue dicking around so I just dropped $1500 to order in 2 new motors (the 2nd one looked about ready to go as well) from Sonnen.

If there is any consolation it is that at least now I have a Porsche warranty behind the new parts and they came in at 1/2 the cost of ordering from the local Canadian dealer (not that I would have ever ordered from them to start with).

Expensive lesson learned (exactly what lesson I'm not sure of yet).
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear you had problems. But at least you can put the top down for your dogs now.

Quick Reply: Cab Top Left Locking Motor Needs Repair