Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:51 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hepkat63
I want to do the same thing - build a custom loom. How do I go about it ? Can you pM some details please?
regards
steve
Hi Steve, it's quite an involved and time consuming process to plan, build and test. This is why they cost several 1000s to have made. I would not recommend this as a first candidate if you're new to putting together looms of any description. Please forgive me if this is not the case for you.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:23 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by hepkat63
...Yes, wiring looms are sexy. I want to do the same thing - build a custom loom. How do I go about it ? Can you pM some details please?
regards
steve
Just ran across this article series:
Knowledge Boost: Tackling Your Wiring Nightmare – Part 1
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/...htmare-part-1/
Knowledge Boost: Tackling Your Wiring Nightmare – Part 2
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/10/...htmare-part-2/

Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
Hi Steve, it's quite an involved and time consuming process to plan, build and test. This is why they cost several 1000s to have made. I would not recommend this as a first candidate if you're new to putting together looms of any description. Please forgive me if this is not the case for you.
Done plenty of wiring looms - yep, it's a big job I know. One in particular I did was a 1959 ford sunliner coupe from lhd to rhd... took weeks of sitting on the floor of the car rejoining wires. Felt like I was married to my test light
So, by all means, please PM me any thing you have !

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Just ran across this article series:
Knowledge Boost: Tackling Your Wiring Nightmare – Part 1
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/...htmare-part-1/
Knowledge Boost: Tackling Your Wiring Nightmare – Part 2
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/10/...htmare-part-2/

cool - thanks !
Old 10-18-2015, 04:23 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have made a a couple of car looms over the years, including a custom unit when I had my Westfield, but this was just the chassis loom as opposed to the engine management loom (another MBE system); bought the thinnest wiring I could that still retained the British wiring standard, and used waterproof connectors, heatshrink throughout and really took my time to design it and lay it out with some future-proofing in mind. When I came to making it, it took weeks; I remember it was during the summer months, so I was getting up before the rest of the family and getting a few hours each day in the garage before work (5.30-7.30), nice uninterrupted time.

When it came to making a loom for my project on the Turbo (linked below) I didn't even contemplate making it myself; been there/done that. This time I wanted a really "pukka" loom that was of the same quality as the rest of the project...all depends on what you want to spend; if you want MIL spec connectors, or even some of the more common Deutcsh connectors, you'll likely to need very expensive crimping, insertion and removal tooling. Motorsport looms tend to use all single colour wiring, Raychem, usually white, which means you really need to be on your mettle to make sure there aren't mistakes...but it's super light and thin. Raychem heatshrink and connector boots are sodding expensive, but mean that the connectors are sealed to a military standard, and the loom is very flexible without crimping wires or rucking the sleeve....and on it goes.

The engine loom I had made for the EFI conversion was >£2.5k and even that is a LOT cheaper than some of the more mainstream UK motorsport loom manufacturers like Lake. But it's an order of magnitude better than anything I could've assembled, despite being an electronics engineer in a previous life.

ETA - seeing a picture of a soldering iron above....that would make a pro automotive loom builder shudder...a complete no-no, soldered joints are subject to vibration and failing on a car.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:23 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Yep, I selected shielded Raychem white for the CPS, CAM phase and Knock sensors and black for everything else. It's expensive stuff but I found some end-of-reel lengths on ebay that where long enough for most of what I wanted. The loom diameter is tiny compared to the original. A single metal round Deutcsh connector is used to attach the engine loom to the vehicle loom. The key is all in the planning. That and testing at every stage. You'll need to ensure the selected cable rating (you'll need a variety) is sufficient (but not OTT) for it's length and application. It took several weeks to complete.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:39 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

A few pics of the tail feathers

Old 10-19-2015, 05:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Great minds think alike. My car has just gone for its respray and solid colour sills were the final decision I made over the weekend. Great to see it working on a similar configuration I.e. Ducktail and Fuchs.
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Holy cow that looks good!!!!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:29 PM
greaser5
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ducktail is that? Looks great.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:39 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want your duck tail! Can't wait to start my duck tail project.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Hi Rob, Great work, can't wait to see this in the flesh, really is an inspiration to us UK skinny garage owners!

Can I ask a couple of Q's, Ive read through but can't seem to find the detail I need.

Did you use the Porsche part to replace the 'oil filter to engine oil pipe'? it's in the photo on page 8. I wondered if you had this made up for you as I've never seen a black and braided version advertised?

I'm also going for the A-class PS mod, what were the braided lines and fittings you used?

Cheers

Nate
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ I think Rob mentioned using Pirtek - they come to you http://www.pirtek.co.uk/

I also used them ... they should be able to do the braided hoses for Elec PS too with aeroquip ali fittings
Old 10-21-2015, 04:24 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NateSaJack
Hi Rob, Great work, can't wait to see this in the flesh, really is an inspiration to us UK skinny garage owners!

Can I ask a couple of Q's, Ive read through but can't seem to find the detail I need.

Did you use the Porsche part to replace the 'oil filter to engine oil pipe'? it's in the photo on page 8. I wondered if you had this made up for you as I've never seen a black and braided version advertised?

I'm also going for the A-class PS mod, what were the braided lines and fittings you used?

Cheers

Nate
Hi Nate, the hose you refer to was the *only* hose on the enire car that was not replaced. In was in great condition so left it as-is.

The long oil cooler hoses I had refurbished by Spectrum Hose in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

I make up all my own hoses (except those requiring crimping) and source all my hose and fittings from Think Automotive. I love that place :-) great guys. You can turn up with a bag of random parts, dump it on the desk, explain what you're trying to do and they dig out all the parts you'll need. Infinitely better than attempting via some web shop somewhere. I always end up taking extra incase I need them and they're fine with me returning the surplus (except hose obviously)

I really wish I'd done a proper job of writing up the PAS mod as I get on average 2 queries on it a week.
I should have marketed a kit :-)

I'll try and put together a parts list. I think tdiquattro may have done this actually when he did his.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars looking fantastic!!! Nice work as always!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:27 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

I really wish I'd done a proper job of writing up the PAS mod as I get on average 2 queries on it a week.
I should have marketed a kit :-)
Ha yes you should!

Cheers Rob, I've got all winter to sort as many leaks as I can, exhaust and get the PS mod finished. Looking forward to a trip to Think Auto, sounds like my kind of place!

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb