Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:26 AM
baldy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 against using D911, the experiences I've had of them have been far from positive and their customer service / customer facing skills are shocking

They also seem to change their minds on how much stuff is going to cost after you've ordered it too, and then demand more money, so be wary of their catalogue / stock / prices as well

Apart from that, they're great......
Old 11-05-2014, 05:37 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by baldy
+1 against using D911, the experiences I've had of them have been far from positive and their customer service / customer facing skills are shocking

They also seem to change their minds on how much stuff is going to cost after you've ordered it too, and then demand more money, so be wary of their catalogue / stock / prices as well

Apart from that, they're great......
What he said, they're shocking. Not a fan of Porscheshop either. However I highly recommend, as do many, Type911/ Mathew.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:58 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've cancelled the D911 order and gone through my OPC for the fork and CRB. They too confirmed that the guide tube is on back order, however all being good a fellow UK member has come to the rescue with a used one

I want to get the motor back in before the weather gets proper cold
Old 11-05-2014, 07:01 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rephlex
Agreed. I buy from OPC Hatfield (parts guy Richard is great, takes an interest no matter how small or obscure the request) and conveniently its just down the road.

My only experience with Design911 was negative. I bought and paid for a number of items that were shown as being in stock. I had ordered from them specifically because other sources were out of stock. After a while they contacted to say they were out of stock on back-order but would be happy to hold onto my money and wait. I took a refund. I can see the necessity of using them is you live in the colonies, but not when you have legitimate choice locally.
Yup, had a less-than-stellar [/martinbrundlemode] experience with Design911 a few years ago as well; won't be going back.

Rob, I've got to be on very good terms with the parts guys at OPC Tonbridge; was on the blower again to Nick this morning. Happy to put a call in if you want - they generally post parts out to me as well, unless I happen to be driving past.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob, if it is not much trouble could you give me the distance of how proud the LWF clutch friction disc contact surface is from the gearbox bell housing mating face on the engine.

I want to use a concentric slave cylinder on mine, LWF and clutch and shorten the gearbox bell housing but need a sanity check of what space there is before I buy parts.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

>the LWF clutch friction disc contact surface

Just so that I understand you correctly, you're referring to the flywheel clutch face?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Jcx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rephlex
Agreed. I buy from OPC Hatfield (parts guy Richard is great, takes an interest no matter how small or obscure the request) and conveniently its just down the road.

My only experience with Design911 was negative. I can see the necessity of using them is you live in the colonies, but not when you have legitimate choice locally.
I am not so sure James. Hatfield post or courier parts to me FOC. Cost is not necessarily less just because I am 40 miles away.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:36 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

I appear to have lucked out with the RS guide tube. Yesterday, cptnzero pointed me at a new one that had just been listed on ebay UK, so I grabbed it right away Funny, as I'd already checked there the day before during my search for one. All being good, on Friday I'll have all the parts I need to finish the job. While the engine is out I think I'll give the valve gaps the once over.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Originally Posted by robt964
>the LWF clutch friction disc contact surface

Just so that I understand you correctly, you're referring to the flywheel clutch face?
yes, spot on, that's it, I should have just typed it like that
Old 11-06-2014, 05:04 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
yes, spot on, that's it, I should have just typed it like that
Approx 36mm.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Approx 36mm.
great, thanks and very helpful info.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good progress today Finally completed all the tunnel services!
You may recall I opted not to use the v-expensive Porsche clutch and fuel lines. This has delayed things a little but I'm now very happy with the result. The fuel lines now take a very different route. On a right-hand car the fuel lines would enter the engine bay on the left. Mine now enter on the right, switching sides towards the end of the tunnel.

The fuel lines sweep up and round in a similar route that the vacuum hose does on the left.

Here you can see the lines entering the engine bay. The return line runs left and out of shot.

This image shows how/where the lines swap tunnel sides.

Clutch line will be trimmed to length and terminated once the engine is aimed up to fit.

This re-routing was a bit of a ball-ache and very time consuming but I now have new lines that will never corrode or need replacing
The oil tank and hoses are up next...
Rob, whassapinin here?? I can't see your photos!!

What fuel lines did you go with in the end?

Are they (broken) links to a photobucket account or similar?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Hello matey, no its this flippin forum

Ever since the new forum photo management software was added, the photos have been bust in the first 12-13 pages of my thread. All the photos are in still in my rennlist photo albums but the links to them in those pages have been buggered up. It's not like I can go in there and clean up the links myself since the early pages are locked

I've tried placing messages on the help forum and emailing admins directly. Seems nobody wants to help as I've received no replies. Pretty annoying really...
Old 11-08-2014, 04:08 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Paging Marc shaw .... Marc shaw to help desk please!

(Who are the other mods round these parts anyway?)
Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

So I finally got the remainder of the parts I need to finish my RS LWF install.

Here you can see the difference between the old G50 clutch fork (left) and the new one (right). Glad I swapped them as the lever arms look longer with larger contact feet.

New clutch release bearing installed on the pressure plate.

The longer bearing guide.

Clutch assembled and ready to be mated up with the gearbox.

Lining up the clutch fork spindle wasn't as tricky as I thought it might be.

Even though I had a clutch alignment tool I still left the pressure plate bolts loose until the gearbox was properly attached. The pressure plate bolts were then torqued up through the starter hole.

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb