Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Lightweight C2

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:45 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Plenty of wiring to remove, Porsche look to have used one loom for all derivatives, I have a Targa and removed...

Power hood wiring from the cab, sunroof wiring from the coup, all cruise wiring (loads), aircon wiring, stereo wiring, OEM alarm and wiring, headlight washer wiring, and main pump, etc.
Replacing the coils with 993 is will save a bit (of weight) too.
A smaller battery can be run with all the known battery drain items sorted, eg - linked out the window control relay, removed the glove box light switch, removed the OEM alarm, removed all unused dash lamps, converted interior lights to LED, replace door switches with VAG items (dual contact).

Keep up the great work - more weights please!!
Old 09-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

made some ramps today so I can easily drive on off my corner weight scales

was a bit shocked with the first weigh in, 1187kg with 1/4 tank of fuel, pushed the car off, re-zero and weighed again, it was the same weight

then I had a eureka moment and popped the hood to find this lot in there

still trying to work out when and why I put 10kgs of kitty litter under the spare wheel

now this is more like it, 1162kg with 1/4 tank of fuel and I've not even hit the big stuff yet

Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

ok that's better!

Kitty litter - odd for US, normal for UK.
I'm 1220kg and I'm nowhere near your level of dedication/madness .. but I do have LW GT3 seats.

Oh and pictures of the ugly duckling very important to look back on later!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:19 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting... Do you think sub 1k is possible?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

How does the car actually look and work right now? You have to replace some of the parts with something else, don't you?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Originally Posted by jstyer
Interesting... Do you think sub 1k is possible?
Yes, should be no problem getting below 1000kg, under 900kg could be a bit tough but not impossible.

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
How does the car actually look and work right now? You have to replace some of the parts with something else, don't you?
It looks dreadful, I promise to take some photos when I get my new wheels fitted. It works very well despite doing nothing yet to the suspension or brakes. The acceleration and braking are night and day compared to when it was stock weight. Comfort is slightly lacking.

Huge amount of weight to remove still and very little to put back. Only parts I have removed that I miss so I'll need to add weight back in for is some form of heating. I will try a heated windscreen with heated seats first, if not enough warmth then I have a plan B and C thought out.

While stripping the wiring loom back I found a few more loose unwanted stowaway parts from when I moved the car back to the UK from Italy

New up to date baseline weight is 1161.5kg with 1/4 tank of fuel
Old 09-30-2015, 02:08 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW - I am at 1160kg and very proud... but I have a Carbon decklid and an aluminum RS hood... pretty impressive - I think I need to reread the whole thread to copy some good ideas in weight losing.

I can fully underline the argument that the car feels absolutely "NEW" with the less weight compared to the basis...

What exhaust are you driving? I found there some 25 KG, 30 hp and lots of torque ;-)

Looking forward to the final weight...

Greets Tim
Old 09-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Hi Tim, you should be proud of 1160kg as most people give up trying way before getting down to that number

My exhaust is nothing special, I have the cup pipe to delete the rear muffler and may fit a cat delete pipe over the winter as it is easy low hanging fruit

There is no magic golden bullet to losing weight on cars but lots of golden bb/ait gun pellets to be had but you need look all over for them

Originally Posted by timtim
WOW - I am at 1160kg and very proud... but I have a Carbon decklid and an aluminum RS hood... pretty impressive - I think I need to reread the whole thread to copy some good ideas in weight losing.

I can fully underline the argument that the car feels absolutely "NEW" with the less weight compared to the basis...

What exhaust are you driving? I found there some 25 KG, 30 hp and lots of torque ;-)

Looking forward to the final weight...

Greets Tim
Old 09-30-2015, 03:22 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm at 1190 kg with a 33 kg Heigo roll cage and 10 L fuel.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:15 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Thomas,

I just have the half cage from Heigo - these should be 15KG's at least...

Greetz Tim (big reds, Recaro PP XL, still electrical windows, but that it...)
Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Fatandre
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever write me where you got the calipers?
Are they some kind of light weight?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:16 AM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Fatandre, the calipers you are referring to are not for my car but some HiWind found, ask him he should be able to tell you.

Originally Posted by Fatandre
Did you ever write me where you got the calipers?
Are they some kind of light weight?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love this thread captain, you've inspired me to go further regarding weight loss! Is 1200kg possible without resorting to carbon panels? I'm at 1240 with the spare, tool kit and compressor and a half cage. The other half will never sign off on loosing the heating and just having a heated screen and seats so that's out. I have got some 993 rs uprights which will hopefully save a bit. Then I was thinking about some wheels to replace the cup 1's as they're not the lightest. Really got the bug to get under 1200 but would like to keep the spare for a little crash protection. Any advice on the most cost effective way of achieving this greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Jim.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Originally Posted by porsche mania
Love this thread captain, you've inspired me to go further regarding weight loss! Is 1200kg possible without resorting to carbon panels? I'm at 1240 with the spare, tool kit and compressor and a half cage. The other half will never sign off on loosing the heating and just having a heated screen and seats so that's out. I have got some 993 rs uprights which will hopefully save a bit. Then I was thinking about some wheels to replace the cup 1's as they're not the lightest. Really got the bug to get under 1200 but would like to keep the spare for a little crash protection. Any advice on the most cost effective way of achieving this greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Jim.
thanks Jim,

What can I say I'm a car weight weenie, its a disease with no cure and highly infectious, sorry!

I think 1200kg should be possible without sacrificing safety or luxury and without going to carbon panels.

Can you list what you have done to get down to 1240kg I can then suggest a few ideas to get to your lower weight and I'm sure it will inspire someone else to not stop.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:22 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you list what you have done to get down to 1240kg I can then suggest a few ideas to get to your lower weight and I'm sure it will inspire someone else to not stop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, so far I've deleted the sunroof, everything regarding air con including cutting the compressor mount down, removed heater blower in the back, rs carpet set and door cards, all rear sound deadening removed, manual windows and pole position seats. Central locking removed, electrics for mirrors removed, no Sun visors, fabspeed pre silencer only, The loom was stripped of anything unnecessary when I did the carpet set. All unused switches removed and plugged. As for weight put back in that is just a heigo half cage and a battery cut off. I'm waiting for a set of moton clubsport shocks which I'm sure will be lighter than the bilsteins I have at the moment. I'll be fitting rs aluminium uprights at the same time which are definitely lighter.
The obvious things I can think of to do is a lightweight battery, 993tt discs (which I have to do to fit the uprights) but perhaps with alloy hats and some lighter wheels, maybe oz alleggerita?
On they're own I don't think this will get me anywhere near, perhaps another 20kg's. As I said I would like to run with the spare in for the crash protection which is a shame as they're not light! As I've said, any help greatly appreciated! I'll bet your car goes like stink as even with just 130kg out of mine it has made a serious difference. Best mod I've done bar none. If I'd done the weight loss first instead of at the same time as the rebuild I wouldn't have bothered chasing any extra horse power!

Quick Reply: Project Lightweight C2