Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Lightweight C2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not weight saving but for my intended use an essential added extra that I hope I never have to use

Looked at quite a few fire suppression system manufacturers and in the end went for a gas based system for lightness and cleanliness (no mess to clean up after)

FEV http://www.f-e-v.co.uk/ is a British company with an enviable reputation supplying a number of F1, LMP1, and WRC teams.

On FEV's advice I've gone for a 2 bottle fire suppression system, one bottle is a fully plumbed in system and the other bottle is a handheld system.

Bottle one is an electric unpressurised 1.8kg FIA fully plumbed in (4 engine bay nozzles, 2 cabin nozzles and 2 spare nozzles) system as used by WTCC and BTCC race teams
http://www.f-e-v.co.uk/product/fesg1800r-fia/

Bottle two is a 2kg hand held, usually used as a back up system on WRC cars
http://www.f-e-v.co.uk/product/fesg2000rhh-rally/
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 PM
stimpy32
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
a repeat post I know but thought it best to keep all my build stuff to this thread

Laser/water jet cut plate and turned boss will be a welded assy in Grade 5 Titanium, will need to fit a helicoil to stop the thread seizing as ti and steel threads don't mix well

using a high strength/precision motorsport M14 X 1.5 rose joint

not going with the ERP turn buckle quick style adjustment as lightweight for my application out ranks speed of adjustment.

total weight is 0.6kg compared to the 1.44kg Porsche bushed spring plate but I'm sure this will go up a small amount as I check the strength, stiffness and stresses

Could be made a lot lighter by setting the car up with an adjustable spring plate, dialing in the required toe and camber settings. Then taking the dimensions for each side and make a one peice spring plate with press in uni-ball. This is how WRC teams do it but well out of my budget.

if anyone is interested in a pair in titanium or steel let me know and I may get more than one pair for myself made
As per others subject to costs i'm in too. Oh, and hopefully see you around Oxford some time .
Old 06-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Offered a set of corner weight scales at a too good a price to refuse

Not had a chance to try them out for real but had a quick play with them anyway

Weighing my 964 should be a lot easier than a 6 month old puppy
Old 06-06-2015, 06:18 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good man - And you've moved just up the road now, very considerate of you!!

Be interesting to see where the weight is on your car is with all the parts removed.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Anytime Alex, I'm not going anywhere, got too many projects to do

I'm going to do another weigh in without fuel and would be very interested in measuring the centre of gravity height of a stock C2

Originally Posted by ALEX P
Good man - And you've moved just up the road now, very considerate of you!!

Be interesting to see where the weight is on your car is with all the parts removed.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:45 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you propose to do that?

Take multiple measurements at different inclinations and solve for CG height? That's the only way I can think of off the top of my head...
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, nice find.. when can I pop down to set up 27?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong thread!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Great looking dog!

Offered a set of corner weight scales at a too good a price to refuse

Not had a chance to try them out for real but had a quick play with them anyway

Weighing my 964 should be a lot easier than a 6 month old puppy
Old 06-10-2015, 04:00 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anytime Alex, I'm not going anywhere, got too many projects to do

I'm going to do another weigh in without fuel and would be very interested in measuring the centre of gravity height of a stock C2
Alex, let me know when you're going as I'll tag along too
Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 07-29-2015, 01:28 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Girls want to know what Ted weighed?

You're more than welcome to weigh my stock C2 although I am out and about for next few weeks but car is only down the road from you.

Good idea re fire extinguisher, saw a modern car totally burned up on side of M40 couple of weeks ago - fortunately driver, his son & dog were all standing on side of road with no injuries.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Apologies for lack of progress, life is getting in the way

As most people following this thread will have guessed, this build is not my first lightweight rodeo. While my build moves along at a glacier pace thought I'd share my previous lightweight car projects history in easy to view '1/43rd Vision'

Started in short pants, 1990 March Alfa Romeo Indy 500 race cars which competed and lost miserably to the sister March Porsche 90P Indy car and pretty much every other car in the race

First job out of short pants was on the McLaren F1 road car and race car projects, below is a green road car and 1995 field of Le Mans 24hr GT1 race cars, we were giant killers back then and smashed Porsche by winning outright at our first attempt

1996 McLaren F1 GT1 Le Mans 24hr race cars, Porsche woke up and gave us a good kicking

Lower bunch of cars are 1997 long tail McLaren GT1 Le Mans 24hrs race cars, we did a big weight saving and aero performance drive which allowed us to kick Porsche and Mercedes in the nuts to win GT1 class

Middle two cars are undeveloped 97 long tail GT1,s but these ran in the 1998 Le Mans 24hrs race, our turn to be kicked in the nuts by Porsche and Toyota but the top car retain some honour by winning the 1998 British GT Championship

Then I decided to seek my fortune in F1. the following cars have let me experience many extreme highs and lows that come from working for 18yrs in F1, such as qualifying in every position from pole to last and even starting from the pit lane, finishing races in every position from winner to last, DNQ (did not qualify), DNS (did not start), DNF (did not finish), disqualified and even a 2 race ban for cheating, finishing championships from Constructors World Champion and every Drivers Championship position from 2nd all the way down to 10th, loweat of the low was losing a championship a few corners from the finish line of the last race

Benetton years

BAR Honda years

Honda years, the red and white liveried cars are Honda supported Super Aguri cars which used the previous years Honda chassis

Ferrari years, the top 2 grey liveried cars are Sauber's, they used the Ferrari power unit and gearbox, missing are the 2014 Marussia cars and 2015 cars for all 3 teams

I've missed out a few cars such as a F1 Bonneville salt flat land speed record setting car and very special F1 prototype but the above brings my 'lightweight project' history pretty much up to date.

Last edited by Captain Ahab Jr.; 08-04-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:14 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a very special collection captain, thanks for sharing but it does deserve a more detailed presentation over Hook's finest.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

bought on Ebay 2yrs ago, finally got around to giving it a quick clean and 3hrs of cooling fin straightening

well I hope its lightweight as it feels quite heavy, anyone know how much a stock 964 cooler weighs?

Also have a set of 17" 8.5" and 9.5" Fiske Mach V wheels in the post which should save me over 15kg. I'm hoping I can feel that much less unsprung weightm will post up my findings once they are fitted and had a drive.

Must start up my weight countdown again

Quick Reply: Project Lightweight C2