Oil drips - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil drips - advice?

Hi all;

My garage queen 964 has begun to mark her territory lately.

The photo is not my engine, but I've borrowed it from another thread for illustration purposes - the drips are forming where the red circles are.

It's been quite a warm couple of weeks in Australia, with the mercury trending to 40 degrees Celsius of late.

The valves were adjusted and valve cover gaskets replaced about 18 months ago.

Is it likely to be the upper valve covers?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I would first clean the bottom of the engine thoroughly, then take it for a spirited drive. As soon as you get home, jack up the car and look at the engine for wet or shiny spots. Those are the source of your leak. Some common sources include the oil pressure sender, power steering hoses and valve covers that have been over tightened.

The spots you have circled are natural low points so they may or may not be where the leak is. The leak could be on the top of the engine and its dripping down. The only way to tell is to do what I described above.

Let us know what you find.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not valve covers if the drips are there. Maybe timing chain covers, but you need to clean it, drive, and see were the fresh oil is coming down.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I second Makmov's opinion. I had oil pooling at those 2 areas as well for a few years. I just changed the timing chain housing gaskets and the chain tensioner gaskets and the drips are gone.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
Probably not valve covers if the drips are there. Maybe timing chain covers, but you need to clean it, drive, and see were the fresh oil is coming down.
Good point about the chain covers. Forgot about those.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For want of taking another photo... I thought, if you don't mind, I might partly hi jack this thread....
My car has fairly recently started dripping few small drops of oil from the left hand red circle in the photo above. It forms at the base of the bolt and then drips very slowly.
I've cleaned everywhere up around it, so I know it isn't running down from anywhere, it just comes from that bolt area.

It's not so bad I can't live with, but has anyone had this or found a solution, other than taking it all apart?!?

Cheers.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by james_marshall
For want of taking another photo... I thought, if you don't mind, I might partly hi jack this thread....
My car has fairly recently started dripping few small drops of oil from the left hand red circle in the photo above. It forms at the base of the bolt and then drips very slowly.
I've cleaned everywhere up around it, so I know it isn't running down from anywhere, it just comes from that bolt area.

It's not so bad I can't live with, but has anyone had this or found a solution, other than taking it all apart?!?

Cheers.
Be prepared to turn some wrenches or live with the drips. No other way to get it sealed except to do it right. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all up for turning wrenches.... But which ones is the question...! Is there a specific reseal that can be done there... Or is it an engine out deal? If so... I'll use some paper towels!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by james_marshall
I'm all up for turning wrenches.... But which ones is the question...! Is there a specific reseal that can be done there... Or is it an engine out deal? If so... I'll use some paper towels!
If it is the chain cases:

Remove the rear bumper
Remove Primary Muffler
Remove Heat Exchanger Crossover Pipe
Remove the rear heat shield
Remove A/C compressor and bracket

Here are a few pictures from when I did the job. I took advantage and went crazy replacing 22 year old parts and oil hoses. I sealed the top of the engine as well (oil pressure housing). None of the work is difficult, just involved. I'd suggest replacing the crankshaft seal (the puller is $20) at the very minimum while you're in there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...al-thread.html

Quick Reply: Oil drips - advice?