Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on a 3.8 RS inspired 964 - development journal

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:59 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic thread hi wind & that shifter mod is the nuts & I can well believe the diffrence it makes as even a Brand new Porsche shifter rod has play in it as I've got one to put on mine & going to mod the old shifter over winter......I just need to find a f1 spanner man!!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:39 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

cheers Fuch - glad to hear it!
... not sure where naphill is (?! bucks? Milton Keynes has more than a few F1 fundis ) but you just need a neat runof the mill welder and reasonably simple to find hardware ... and RL ofcourse There's relatively very little play in the rod - mine was dented so replaced ... but the plastic and rubber mounts replaced with helm and universal joints make the key difference - you won't regret. I paid $250 for all the work and parts as I sourced the joints and bought the nifty ones - they're not so expensive if you get them at source ... then just some careful measuring and fitting as you do one piece at a time and keep the whole thing level from front attachment to shifter to gearbox.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naphill buck's...& yes close to lots of Motorsport stuff! I've have saved your pics as soon as I clicked on this thread to show my man in the trade not as posh as f1 but classic/historic stuff so he's a bit handy : )......Hi wind mod mk 2 in the making soon...thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 03:50 PM
HiWind
Race Car

LoL - if you look at the museum I linked where Steve works, you'll see that his F1 cars are all older than our 964s
Old 12-05-2013, 05:00 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Good stuff M!

I changed the title for you BTW.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 AM
HiWind
Race Car

that was fast - thanks John!

Seats are coming along nicely
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 AM
HiWind
Race Car

here is a shot of the engine after its first clean on purchase about a year ago ...
and a shot now with the ceramic coated ($150) headers (black inside, silver polished outside) and new SS mufflers - I'm very pleased overall.

I made the change due to noise regs at the local track - dropped from 110 to 95 db - which considering that the db scale is geometric, is a big change. To ensure we made it - testing next week but to my ear it sounds like enough - my shop also added the extra small boxes as that worked well on a 3.8 SC racecar. The perforated pipe in the custom (big) transverse box is also wrapped in stainless heat shield internally to prevent sagging of that pipe which often causes breakage over time. That box cost about $200.

Sound - well gladly I have some good gopro footage of it before - was more burbly and deeper but rough and very loud .. too now which is still loud enough but cleaner, higher pitched higher up and tighter sounding - will do a side by side to compare. Also dyno booked for 2 weeks time to check impact and tune for new intake AFM etc.. but net-net it's about 6 kg lighter, definitely cooler, clearly shinier (for now) and likely no more black flags (noise) - might be a few hp down or it may just have smoothed the curve out a bit - still plenty fast/strong so seat dyno can't tell - will be interesting to see post the results.
Attached Images  

Last edited by HiWind; 12-07-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM
HiWind
Race Car

and here are the first pics of the re-sprayed front bumper with the RS ducts puttied/pasted in.
Looks nice and clean - still need to do a little flattening on the inside of the ducts though
Happy with the vent meshing too - same technique as Babalouie's - and then to get the ducting in

will get some pics from the front later ie without the shadows
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Been waiting to do this for ever ... came out better than I expected and really ties the blue touches together
from wheels to Carrera script to seats & belts (and later pedals and one day ...scripts on guages)
No going back now!
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

The seats look amazing and really tie everything together.
I love how you are developing and using the car.
964s are so fun!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Udo ... I'm in good company
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Just changed out the ISV - Both the replacement and the original worked fine off a 12v
Applied sparingly ... Then I replaced the stock air intake cover with a cut away one...
Great result ... Bit of a burble back to the exhaust note at idle and there definately feels
Like an improvement to the breathing ... Didn't expect much but first drive says

Still stalls on sharp decel ie if clutch goes in from 3.5k or so ... But not as easily.
Still would rather it didn't happen - might just be the case until the famous Wong LWFW solution in place.
Will be doing some tuning of the fuel mgmt now that I have the intake and exhaust sorted
And see if that can sortie it. Also might try a gold (correct: Golf) ISV which I have - tuner reckons he has lots of success with them.
Will report back next week.

Last edited by HiWind; 12-18-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM
HiWind
Race Car

off to the dyno tomorrow .. going to tune the idle with isv rewired and temp guage re cold starts.

also gonna test stock v cut airbox and octane boost vs 95 ron
- any other ideas? Post here and I'll give it a try.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 AM
HiWind
Race Car

so finally I have a car that idles perfectly, starts up reasonably easily (3'rd - 5th fire) and doesn't drop below 600 rpm when clutch goes in from high revs ie no more lwfw stall.
Key thing I learnt - dyno numbers are not strictly accurate/comparable/absolute.

How? Well I got the TPS (VAG one installed a few months back) moved from the motronic dme to the dickator fuel mgmt - one blue wire to move
and then the tuner remapped the fuel mgmt using the TPS instead of the MAP. The TPS is preferable for NA cars per the dicktator manual and on top of that we got a few more ponies to join the feral stampede.

Butt dyno not so convinced - but it was a swelterer today at 30deg C in the shade. Dyno'ing is not a fun thing to do - hard on the car, especially in the heat and requires vigilence and patience. Happy to pay for that!

Anyways see pics below - net-net we got more horses than last time comparing the maps back to back - nice to be able to shift from one map to the other if need be; just need to replug in the vacuum hose and upload the map to ecu - but with the TPS idle I'm super happy - will be interested to see the impact on fuel consumption but will definitely save my starter about 60% of its current work.

Pinging started around 15 on the timing so couldn't got below that - interested in where others bottomed out.
Looking forward to see how the car starts from cold in the am .. and see how much oil I lost.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a 3.8 RS inspired 964 - development journal