Sponsored by:

Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
Nice find John! A RSR longhood Speedster is an amazing sight!
- - - - - - - - -

RL member Shannon123 posted this really interesting "Singer-like" creation on another thread.
Lots of detail shots of the process!
http://911sporttouring.com/index.html
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

I love the technical look of a track interior. This dash bar looks amazing.

A special nod to the C4 Lightweight!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

More simple interior ideas.

who needs a clock? ..block-off plate

who needs hood struts?

Interesting cut-off switch location

Bye, bye power windows.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Actually, I don't need carpeting either...

I especially don't need carpeting in the frunk!!!! (nice tool bag)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

^I really like this idea, but I'm not sure what I'd do w/ the console area, particularly around the handbrake.

I know someone on the 993 forums was doing a console delete, but the last time I saw, he was also trying to figure out the approach around the handbrake.

^this is awesome! Bringing the mint into the car.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

I've never seen this body kit before. Very interesting...

Still a serious longhood conversion (longer hood, repositioned lights - above the bumper, etc.), BUT...
the bumper sections are taller and maybe deeper than the original. Normally in a retro conversion, I wouldn't be happy with this deeper bumper profile, but this might be the way around having to modify the sil sections. Keeping the sil makes it a bit of a mutt, but the deeper '70's longhood bumper sections somewhat match the '90's side sil panels. Somewhat.

The rear bumper looks sweet... wonder how a 64 would look with just the rear bumer (and a duck of course)?

Well it's interesting and the first time I've seen it.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Super pics - thanks for the ideas!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pictures and ideas too I've seen some great inspiration here. Great news that someone makes retro instruments, Ive emailed the makers today.

If it helps anyone Ive spent the past five years researching how best to do this and I'm currently running a thread about backdating my 964 C4 to a Gulf Blue 73 3.0RS, picture attached complete with its long hood...apologies if this is poor forum etiquette, I'm new to this....
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomato
If it helps anyone Ive spent the past five years researching how best to do this and I'm currently running a thread about backdating my 964 C4 to a Gulf Blue 73 3.0RS, picture attached complete with its long hood...apologies if this is poor forum etiquette, I'm new to this....
Poor etiquette? Not at all, please feel free to add any pictures or your experience to this thread. We're not that formal around here (but we do believe in being polite though).

I'm sure all the regulars (like me) around here have been watching your thread with great interest. This thread is more of a dumping ground for lots of interesting lightweight and retro ideas.

On that note, I read about your airline ordeal, yes American does suck! Kudos to Fabspeed for getting you the muffler so quickly. This community rallys together when special cars are being built.

Update us on the cost of the dials when you hear back from AP.
Best,
Udo
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
mozsan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

Still a serious longhood conversion (longer hood, repositioned lights - above the bumper, etc.), BUT...
the bumper sections are taller and maybe deeper than the original. Normally in a retro conversion, I wouldn't be happy with this deeper bumper profile, but this might be the way around having to modify the sil sections. Keeping the sil makes it a bit of a mutt, but the deeper '70's longhood bumper sections somewhat match the '90's side sil panels. Somewhat.

The rear bumper looks sweet... wonder how a 64 would look with just the rear bumer (and a duck of course)?

Did you know whose kit/conversion it is?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

I like this! If they painted the lower half of the rockers black it would look so much leaner and better. I feel that when people color match the lower rockers it makes it looks too fat.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM
metalracer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if I were making those bumpers I would have split the difference between the top portion of the bumper and the lower apron, instead of putting all the extra height in just the top. Maybe it wouldn't look so out of proportion?? Conversely, Paul Stephen's design just adds a lot of lip to the bottom. Any of these is still a compromise of what it should be and I think it's obviously wrong to even the untrained eye. If someone is going to the extent and spending the money and "it must be a 964" as the basis, then take the extra step(s) get it right. Just my opinion...

Yes, you can strip the aluminum window frames, polish and anodize just like the real longhood cars. You would also need to backdate the front and rear windows so they would use the earlier aluminum trims, which you can also still buy in bright alum (actually cheaper than the SC/Carrera blacks).
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carmen563
The problem with the 964 back dates I see are -

1. blackout window trims (can the black OEM pieces be chrome plated?)

A correct Longhood backdate would have chrome trim, that looks so nice.
But, I don't have a problem with black trim, actually it looks a little R Gruppe to me...

I think if I were making those bumpers I would have split the difference between the top portion of the bumper and the lower apron, instead of putting all the extra height in just the top. Maybe it wouldn't look so out of proportion?? Conversely, Paul Stephen's design just adds a lot of lip to the bottom. Any of these is still a compromise of what it should be and I think it's obviously wrong to even the untrained eye. If someone is going to the extent and spending the money and "it must be a 964" as the basis, then take the extra step(s) get it right. Just my opinion...
Agreed. ...just a little less on the top part and maybe a little more on the bottom part (with some vents cut-in to minimize the visual height?).
A quick photoChop with less bumper, and more on bottom

If you are going to keep the sils on the side, getting this proportion just right is key. (both bumper pics have been narrowed)

Last edited by 911Jetta; 02-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SCHWELLER-ECK...8#ht_986wt_953

EDIT: Correct pic attached.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

(no AP affil. just interested in how much this badarse 64 weights)

Lots of eye candy in this thread but the important question is... how much does a stripped RS rep weigh (without a lot of crazy carbon parts)?

AP claims this 64 weights in at 1220 Kg - 2,684 lbs.! (@ 285 hp)

Aluminum hood, Bilstein PSS 10 suspension, RS gearbox, Big Reds 322 mm., thin glass, Matter cell welded, Orig 18-inch Speedline, Michein PS 2.

2,684 and the car has AC and power steering (but no airbags).

Quick Reply: Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas