Sponsored by:

Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cuse92
It is definitely a 964. I spent an entire day poking around it about a month ago when I was at PS filming for a German car show.
Well, its coming up in the next issue of Total 911. Will have it in my mailbox soon Then we know for sure.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:42 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Great news! I should have know better given the level of detail PS puts into these cars... Plus the front wheels were a clear give away too. Still, very impressed that they go to the trouble of adding torsion bar car jack points! Details.

You mentioned an upcoming film? Can't wait.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,334 Posts

I don't see how this is not a 964 based long nose conversion. There are far too many obvious 964 touches.

Interior is 964 from upper and lower dash, center console with airbag setup, complete ventilation system, controls and layout, carpet . Gauges, switches, front and rear window molding, rear deck lid hinges with spacers needed to backdate to older style lid, 964 engine including fuse panel and I believe the bolt patterns on the 964 for the locking mechanisms are different as well just to name a few.

Why would anyone go through all the energy to convert these to 964 style for a backdate?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:48 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
I don't see how this is not a 964 based long nose conversion. There are far too many obvious 964 touches.

Interior is 964 from upper and lower dash, center console with airbag setup, complete ventilation system, controls and layout, carpet . Gauges, switches, front and rear window molding, rear deck lid hinges with spacers needed to backdate to older style lid, 964 engine including fuse panel and I believe the bolt patterns on the 964 for the locking mechanisms are different as well just to name a few.

Why would anyone go through all the energy to convert these to 964 style for a backdate?
Unless I'm missing something you are talking about the wrong car

There is only one external pic on here of the PS car and you cant tell any of the above from that
Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
Unless I'm missing something you are talking about the wrong car

There is only one external pic on here of the PS car and you cant tell any of the above from that
I see what you are saying. When I first read the quote it was attached to the DP white over red car posted quotes by Henrik964 post number 386. I was assuming that was what he was talking about.

If he is talking about the white with green stripes than I see your point. If that was a 964 it took some extensive undercarriage changes to make it look authentic.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I see what you are saying. When I first read the quote it was attached to the DP white over red car posted quotes by Henrik964 post number 386. I was assuming that was what he was talking about.

If he is talking about the white with green stripes than I see your point. If that was a 964 it took some extensive undercarriage changes to make it look authentic.
im referring to the white PS autoart with monaco plates. that is the one i think look really good. DP:s look like a 964 with some kit on.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great news! I should have know better given the level of detail PS puts into these cars... Plus the front wheels were a clear give away too. Still, very impressed that they go to the trouble of adding torsion bar car jack points! Details.

You mentioned an upcoming film? Can't wait.
Yes, it is for a German car show (I believe for VOX). We spent an entire weekend shooting for a 7-10 minute segment. They said I could post it here after it aired in Germany, which I'll do as soon as they send me the segment. I've attached a few pictures from the fliming that were posted before by someone else - one picture is over the frunk of the Monaco car, and you can see it in the background in another.

My car was used for moving shots and they interviewed me as I drove it around rural England, and when my amazing (cough...) acting skills weren't required I had lots of time to look at it and compare to mine. Although I love my car and it is exactly what I personally wanted, objectively the Monaco car is overall a significantly higher quality car than mine, the detail and craftmanship on it is simply amazing. The guy who owns it spared no expense. I think you'll see some of it in the video.
Attached Images    
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henrik964
Well, its coming up in the next issue of Total 911. Will have it in my mailbox soon Then we know for sure.
Can't wait to see the details!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Can a front bumper be made that has the looks of a longhood but keeps the 964's original shorthood? I'm not 100% convinced but here's a nice effort.

(example from Zeke @ Pelican Parts of a torsion bar car.)

Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks better than I would have thought
Old 07-07-2014, 04:22 PM
agent00eleven
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Singers are my all time favourite 964 conversion...unfortunately the prices do reflect the quality of their work.
Anyone know what exhaust Singer uses?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

http://www.burnsstainless.com/prcustombends.aspx

Recently, the Singer Vehicle Design retained Burns Stainless to design, and fabricate the exhaust headers and muffler system for the exquisite Porsche 911 Reimagined by Singer.

The exhaust header was designed and optimized for the Cosworth-developed flat-6 engine utilizing the Burns X-Design program. The prototype header was built on a mule car provided by Singer. Once the design was approved following dynamometer and road testing, production fixtures were built and production commenced. Burns was also retained by Singer to design, prototype and produce a custom exhaust muffler that would properly fit the car and provide the characteristic 911 sound. “Great skill, great service, great people,” says Rob Dickinson, Creative Director at Singer Vehicle Design, “I can't recommend Burns Stainless more highly, they have risen to every challenge we have presented them with enthusiasm, patience, good humour and exquisite solutions.”

Old 07-07-2014, 05:31 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
http://www.burnsstainless.com/prcustombends.aspx

Recently, the Singer Vehicle Design retained Burns Stainless to design, and fabricate the exhaust headers and muffler system for the exquisite Porsche 911 Reimagined by Singer.

The exhaust header was designed and optimized for the Cosworth-developed flat-6 engine utilizing the Burns X-Design program. The prototype header was built on a mule car provided by Singer. Once the design was approved following dynamometer and road testing, production fixtures were built and production commenced. Burns was also retained by Singer to design, prototype and produce a custom exhaust muffler that would properly fit the car and provide the characteristic 911 sound. “Great skill, great service, great people,” says Rob Dickinson, Creative Director at Singer Vehicle Design, “I can't recommend Burns Stainless more highly, they have risen to every challenge we have presented them with enthusiasm, patience, good humour and exquisite solutions.”

Does that mean we can just order the exhaust from them directly??
Any idea of the cost?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rothsport will do a nice center exhaust based on gt3 muffler. It is around 4 grand with headers and heat. I would jump on one if it was closer to 3 grand - Think Jeff will do a group buy;-)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Rothsport will do a nice center exhaust based on gt3 muffler. It is around 4 grand with headers and heat. I would jump on one if it was closer to 3 grand - Think Jeff will do a group buy;-)
Is that what Kai has on his 964 race car? Or similar, but with heat.
http://rennsportsystems.com/consulting/claudias-engine/

Quick Reply: Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas