Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tin worm removal !

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bargain! Just need the bodyshop to get the screen out in one piece now..
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the screen rubber has seen better days and the glass is fine then get them to cut the rubber and fit a new one. Saves any chance of breaking the screen
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

After reading Robbies thread on his yellow 964( A bit of rust on that one !) thought I better go and do a bit today.

stripped the aircon gubbins from the inner wing a couple of issues their the big nut on the pipe at the middle of the sill will not budge for love nor money might need to drop it out from the engine side, the front of the a/c rad is full of crud and needs cleaned out and the fan isnt in great nick and will need to test it to see if it`s working.

As I mentioned previously the car has had new wings one of the tell tale signs was how they left the inner panel with the underseal stripped to get the bolts out and rather than spray new underseal they have covered everything in waxoil. Picture is after I spent a while cleaning however evident on the picture of the wing.

I have just got the leading edge to clean up , my intention was to go over it with the wire wheel and then protect it with a coat of Bilt Hamber electrox

which is a heavy zinc primer http://www.bilthamber.com/paints-and-coatings/electrox
Attached Images    
Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Did you have fun getting the bolt undone that holds the wing on underneath the fuel filler lol
That always makes me swear.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

Great thread! Your rust doesnt look nowhre as bad as on mine. Made me realize I really had a lemon :-) although I knew it needed some work when I got it.

Mine was fine under the front and rear screen.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like a good project, done this myself 2 years ago.
Gotta love the rust war, its never ending.

To save the screen and rubber, sit inside and with a large flat screwy lip the rubber back over the metal aperture.
Push the driver on he edge of the rubber and you will force it to lip over.
Slow and easy, she will pop out nice. (if you was local id do it for you).
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

I sense a lack of commitment Russ Chesire to Perth 4.5 Hours leaving the screen till last will get the other wing of next, and your right Tom the bolt up the back is a tearjerker a tickle at a time and a couple of hours later its out.

Robbie I like your positivity "At least your screen was fine " car looks magic now all the pain worth it in the end
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Really getting into it now Gaz. Nice to see that the inner wings are in reasonably decent shape.

I have to admire you for diving in and doing this yourself. Almost every little thing I touch seems to end up with a broken bolt/stud, snapped fastening of some kind. The thing fights me all the way.

Next up is the removal of the exhaust secondary silencer. That is sure to end up in broken bits and a lot of swearing.

Keep up the good work.

Thomas
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Good stuff, keep up the effort you'll get there in the end....
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Thomas I have been very fortunate so far probably because a lot of it has been off before , use "rost off" a lot and give it a good soaking if they look suspect. Tried to change the anti-roll bar bushes on wifes ML at the weekend and sheared the first bolt through the wishbone heated it sprayed it hit it not bloody moving afternoon wasted and no further on.

Exhaust never easy you will know doubt need a dremel,chisel and grinder been there on my 3.2
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 AM
chfs911
Instructor

Gary you motivated me to swap my engine lid dampers. 5 minute job that takes 3 hours!

There is a new show on TV that may help with the tricky stuff.

Tool Academy. ;O)
Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Doing a good job Gaz, proud of you! Your right, by the time was all restore all our 964s, these models will be strong in the UK market. Having seen Russ's rear sill and Tom's resto, am sure can all relate to these problems.

Keep up the good work.

Norm
Old 11-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

What exhaust setup is that? OEM routing, but aftermarket, I've never seen anything like that.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GazC2
Thomas I have been very fortunate so far probably because a lot of it has been off before , use "rost off" a lot and give it a good soaking if they look suspect. Tried to change the anti-roll bar bushes on wifes ML at the weekend and sheared the first bolt through the wishbone heated it sprayed it hit it not bloody moving afternoon wasted and no further on.

Exhaust never easy you will know doubt need a dremel,chisel and grinder been there on my 3.2
That's not a 964 engine is it? That's far to clean where's all the oil&muck......
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Not much happening this weekend laid up with manflu

Charles,

glad to be an inspiration hope you had plenty plasters for your knuckles.

Norm,

thanks for that intend to take my time and do it right and if it ends up half as nice as some of the guys posting on here I will be delighted, your setting the bar high with yours looking fantastic.

Vandit,

that was my 89 3.2 targa when I fitted a cat bypass and twin outlet a couple of pics of my previous projects
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Tin worm removal !