Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
http://rothsport-racing.com/Products...ide-Valve.html

A slide valve "throttle body".

Rather than the induction flap operating on the vertical axis, the slide valve operates on a horizontal axis.

Daddy wants!!!
Good golly, those sure are perty.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I beleive an experienced tuner can map a car on the road, ( if weather permits, on track or road)

Frank , did Bob disconnect the front drive shaft on your car ..!?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
cptnzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad to see Betty is back, hoping you make a full recovery for Spa.

Even though a lot of technical aspects are beyond me I've really enjoyed reading the thread and look forward to the Spa vids and seeing that engine in the metal at a future London meet.

Enjoy!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
?

Wet weather, snow C4 performance is superfluous for my application. Other aspects of the C4 work for me. Power delivery, available traction, stability. Remember that road tests found the C4 in many instances quicker 0-60, specifically off the line. To me the C4 feels sure footed, rarely unsettled under braking, cornering and acceleration out of tight corners. With the HP I'm now delivering I'm confident the C4 platform will work wonders.

The important element I can take away is that power means nothing without application. Dyno plots are not real world analysis. It's clear that whilst a C4 has a higher transmission loss (est 28% loss) and weight (est + 100kg) it makes up for it in traction based on the aforementioned 0-60. Which in my book is one hell of an achievement.

Now that is not to say I am an expert by any stretch - my view is my own and based on past C2s that I have driven/ spent time with.

All this to say that the advantages/ disadvantages to both variants go far and away beyond weather.

Can't disagre with your logic or decision making, Frank. The most fun I ever had in a non-RS 964 was in this Carrera 4; it was an absolute blast to floorboard the throttle mid-corner and feel the front wheel torque drag the car from understeer to oversteer at a truly insane speed. Mind you, the 500hp turbo we fitted in the back probably helped!

Your car is going to be fantastic, be sure to enjoy every moment of driving it that you can.
Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

etc
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
?

Wet weather, snow C4 performance is superfluous for my application. Other aspects of the C4 work for me. Power delivery, available traction, stability. Remember that road tests found the C4 in many instances quicker 0-60, specifically off the line. To me the C4 feels sure footed, rarely unsettled under braking, cornering and acceleration out of tight corners. With the HP I'm now delivering I'm confident the C4 platform will work wonders.

The important element I can take away is that power means nothing without application. Dyno plots are not real world analysis. It's clear that whilst a C4 has a higher transmission loss (est 28% loss) and weight (est + 100kg) it makes up for it in traction based on the aforementioned 0-60. Which in my book is one hell of an achievement.

Now that is not to say I am an expert by any stretch - my view is my own and based on past C2s that I have driven/ spent time with.

All this to say that the advantages/ disadvantages to both variants go far and away beyond weather.

That is not to say my needs/ views on the C4 may change. I do however feel that EvoGT2 uprights are a natural point of evolution especially for C4 track cars - that is where I feel a weakness in the platform.
Frank, congrats it sounds epic and can't wait to see what the numbers turn out to be when the flat slides are on...

To give you an idea of how much more you got out of your rebuild, my 3.8 did 306.9bhp at 6600rpm (and 264.1 lb ft at 4750rpm). So you've got way more hp than mine, even before you get it finished.

Agree with you completely on your analysis, too. C2 and C4 are very different animals each with their own positives and negatives. BB is going to be a road and track beast...

Cannot wait to see (and hear - get a video up soon!) her in the metal. Have fun at Spa!

Ben
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Frank,

How's your wrist?

What made you rethink your plans from the more traditional (Weber looking) PMO's to the slide valves, was it pure performance, looks, reliability or all three?

It doesn't look like a money saving exercise

Cheers,
Paul
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Yup was mapped on road and 4WD dyno.

Originally Posted by cptnzero
So glad to see Betty is back, hoping you make a full recovery for Spa.

Even though a lot of technical aspects are beyond me I've really enjoyed reading the thread and look forward to the Spa vids and seeing that engine in the metal at a future London meet.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the kind words - glad it's been interesting.

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Can't disagre with your logic or decision making, Frank. The most fun I ever had in a non-RS 964 was in this Carrera 4; it was an absolute blast to floorboard the throttle mid-corner and feel the front wheel torque drag the car from understeer to oversteer at a truly insane speed. Mind you, the 500hp turbo we fitted in the back probably helped!

Your car is going to be fantastic, be sure to enjoy every moment of driving it that you can.

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
etc
Cheers mate, look forward to meeting you at a L964O meet. Hope you're all happily settled in Epsom.

Originally Posted by cuse92
Frank, congrats it sounds epic and can't wait to see what the numbers turn out to be when the flat slides are on...

To give you an idea of how much more you got out of your rebuild, my 3.8 did 306.9bhp at 6600rpm (and 264.1 lb ft at 4750rpm). So you've got way more hp than mine, even before you get it finished.

Agree with you completely on your analysis, too. C2 and C4 are very different animals each with their own positives and negatives. BB is going to be a road and track beast...

Cannot wait to see (and hear - get a video up soon!) her in the metal. Have fun at Spa!

Ben
Cheers mate. Look forward to catching up. It seems we're producing the same torque but at different revs - 264.2lb @6,600.

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
What made you rethink your plans from the more traditional (Weber looking) PMO's to the slide valves, was it pure performance, looks, reliability or all three?
Hi Paul, flat-slides were always the plan - they just weren't ready in time. Nick kindly chucked on PMOs to get me to SPA....
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Frank , if you can in future , a close ratio gearbox would be a great improvement , you would keep it in the the power band but more important you would be loading at the right time so more grip and better handling ...
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Frank ,
I be interested to know if your car is mapped on throttle position or RPM

Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Unlike the 993, with the 964 you cannot just disconnect the front drive shaft. Search 'C4 C2 conversion' for the various threads on this.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Frank ,
I be interested to know if your car is mapped on throttle position or RPM

Thanks
Most likely it will be "Hybrid Alpha-N", which is TPS vs RPM for load and ignition tables with MAP, AT & ET compensation.

(Translation is available on request)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

I would Like to hear your opinion Collin,
the 964 RS, red car, the 4L in 911 magazine you build was tune on Alpha -N...?
Mine is ....
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would Like to hear your opinion Collin,
the 964 RS, red car, the 4L in 911 magazine you build was tune on Alpha -N...?
Mine is ....
Yes, you are correct, we always use Alpha-N for ITB engines, mainly with BAP, ET(CHT) & AT correction tables. Technically it would be better to use a MAP correction table rather than BAP (Manifold / Barometric) but invariably the design of the engine is such that you use large overlap and long duration camshafts to gain top end performance to make the most of the ITBs and as a result have to deal with low and/or unstable MAP at idle. There are fixes for this, usually by using a common plenum vacuum manifold with carefully selected pipe length and diameter from the ITB manifold (under the throttle body), however in practise the additional effort (read cost) is seldom seen as "valuable" by the customer so is not adopted.

Relating this to Frank's engine (and so keeping nicely on topic!), with the relatively flat torque curve is appears that the cam selection by Nick was reasonably conservative, therefore it might pay to measure the engines MAP characteristics once the slide throttles are fitted, then consider the inclusion of a vacuum plenum into the plan if it seems feasible.

Of course, the other option is to run oversize vacuum pipes to a plenum then install the 964 or 993 idle speed valve with a little K&N filter on the end, the Motec system has two PWM (pulse width modulated) outputs which can be used effectively to control the operation of the valve. Indeed, having the ISV working properly is one of the primary advantages to running Motec on any 964 engine as a steady idle with super lightweight flywheels then becomes a breeze.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister

Relating this to Frank's engine (and so keeping nicely on topic!), with the relatively flat torque curve is appears that the cam selection by Nick was reasonably conservative, therefore it might pay to measure the engines MAP characteristics once the slide throttles are fitted, then consider the inclusion of a vacuum plenum into the plan if it seems feasible.
Bingo - a carbon fibre plenum is in the works as part of the ITB setup.

Quick Reply: Black Betty - Part 3 Engine rebuild