Sponsored by:

crying here... not a good phone call

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by mb911
...if you truly have to rebuild the engine then you may want to do this your self or if you like I could help you. We could work something out. I do have space here for the engine including an engine stand . I have a bunch of connections in the part business and you could learn about the engine as well. A top end is fairly straight forward the worst part is timing the cams which just takes careful thought and checking to set. other that pretty straight forward. I dont see why you would spend more then $2k in the whole process....
That's the Rennlist spirit! I love this place.
I too would love to live closer to Ben!

PS: I'd gladly spend a day helping someone pull/install an engine in my area...or suspension install, etc.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben, it's an extremely generous offer. One I'm certainly going to think VERY hard about.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to continue this thread it would be interesting to have a better description of the shrapnel discovered and how the test was performed and what precautions they took to compensate for a cold engine as well as where the leak is occurring (i.e. valves or rings). The shop should be able to show you first hand what they seen and if you report back your observations (i.e. a photo would be of great benefit) I'm sure this would generate more opinions. I can't imagine 3-4 seconds of running on starter fluid could cause any siginificant damage (i.e. but then, I don't have any experience with starter fluid and these engines, only the diesel which has much higher CR's and generates more heat on combustion) even if there was a backfire. The fact that it ran afterwards is encouraging.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geoff, only just read this thread - so, so sorry to hear - I know that horrible sinking feeling!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM
hawk911
Race Car

shrapnel.... when I asked if he could see it, he said no... what he saw was markings/scars across the top of the piston. So. let's go with the assumption there's nothing loose in the motor.

He also said the leak seems to be on the exhaust side of the stroke, not the intake.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to break out Occam's Razor once more...

I'm suspecting cold winters and ethanol-laden fuel could have turned your fuel into jelly in the fuel lines and it may just be a matter of ensuring that your fuel lines are clear and pumping out fresh gas.

As mentioned before, the leak-down test on a cold, long-standing motor may not signify anything as the seals could have dried up and you're not getting proper readings.

I just fired up my BMW 1200GS for the first time this season and it sounded like it was only firing on one cylinder and I thought for sure something was seriously wrong, but then I realized I stored her with hardly any fuel in the tank (no-no #1 as water condensation invariably occurs inside the tank). So I filled the tank with FRESH gas, Techron injector cleaner, and just bit the bullet and let the engine run, revving her ever so slightly. Sure enough, that awful banging went away and before long she was purring like the kitten she always was!

Through the years, I've found that Occam's Razor is just about the best tool to have in your toolbox! I hope this is the case for you.

Oh, and Hawk, you sure have a lot of friends pulling for you on this forum...this has been just about the fastest trending thread I've seen...
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand you're a bit of a photog and I thought getting a scope photo would give you an opportunity to use the macro setting. "shrapnel.... when I asked if he could see it, he said no... what he saw was markings/scars across the top of the piston." It would bother me that he wouldn't show me what he saw. I hate to generalize, even if it's on the positive side, but I found engine builders and machinists to be the most accomodating group of people, as long as you don't waste too much of their time. My response to not turn over the engine was based on the term shrapnel, leading me to think loose objects, but if it's just scaring then I would be less concerned but still cautious. Sometimes you can cause more damage runing an engine without knowing exactly what is wrong. "He also said the leak seems to be on the exhaust side of the stroke, not the intake." This is also encouraging in that the leak is localized to the exhaust valve (i.e. likely cause by the shrapnel that passed by the exhaust valve / seat and may still be in the exhaust system for analysis) and not the cylinders/pistons so adding oil to the cylinders should not produce any different leak down results.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I talked to the shop, and told him I really want to get the engine running. He claims the length of time sitting really has no bearing on my leakdown numbers, in his experience anyway.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
I talked to the shop, and told him I really want to get the engine running. He claims the length of time sitting really has no bearing on my leakdown numbers, in his experience anyway.
Then I'd start to question his experience. My BS meter is going off now. How much is the bill so far?

If it were me, I'd get my car back and start diagnosing things. Don't change out any parts unless you know they're bad. You need 3 things to make any engine run. Fuel, spark, and compression. We know that you have compression in 4 out of 5 cylinders that they checked and I'd bet #6 is fine too.

Last edited by BigMikeATL; 05-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:11 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Just like Big Mike says BS mete is going off like crazy. For years I have toyed with the idea of opening my own shop as I am very familer with the 65-89 911s up until this current car (my 964) I had not worked on any. I find them fairly well thought out and much eaiser then I thought they would be to work on. All the things you are relaying are tell tales of either inexperience or someone looking to take advantage of the situation which is that you have a non running car with limited independent porsche related shops in the area. I would suggest giving them one shot to get it running which it will run on 3 cylinders and carry 3 if one bank was dead which we can identify as not but possibly a bad cylinder even still when I blew up my turbo engine 5 years ago it ran on all 6 but barly and I had broken every ring land in the beast.

Feel free if you want to call me and vent . This is clear to me that something is not right here . I wish I would have been able to meet up with you prior to you bringing it there.

Sorry I had a bit of a rant but this is just too fishy and bugs me.
two6two 3six4 7four2six is my cell if you want.

Mraz may also be an option for another shop if you dont feel comfortable anywhere else.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't see anywhere in your summary post where you checked the fuel pressure at the rail.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not going to have a significant effect on it.

However, should run even with one dead hole.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he rebuilds the motor it will still have the same problem it has now .
What ever is keeping the motor from running is outside the motor .
Marks on the top of a piston can't keep a motor from running .
The starter fluid test tells me you have spark but no fuel .
Figure out why it has no fuel and get the motor running .
Once you get it running drive it around and see what the health of the motor is after you give it the "Italian tune up"
Old 05-25-2012, 02:43 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I did not check pressure with a guage, but did open the nut on the left side and got gas.

Ben, the last time I was at Mraz, the overfilled my oil...
Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Makmov
It's not going to have a significant effect on it.

However, should run even with one dead hole.
so one says the time it sat does matter, one says it doesn't...

Like I said.. they have been told to get it started, and running. then we'll talk about rebuild if the leakdown is the same.

Quick Reply: crying here... not a good phone call