Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
r15suk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover

Hi,

Can anyone in the UK recommend a good car cover? I will be leaving mine out all the year round (3 motorbikes in the garage!) so will need to protect against sun, sap, bird droppings, frost etc.

There are many suppliers all saying theirs are the best but i have no idea which to choose.

Cheers
Simon
Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Most of the good covers use pretty much the same material as far as I can tell. I bought one from Classic Additions - tell them you are a member of Porsche Club and you should get 10% discount, so c.£99 for cover and wire lock thingy. If you have the time to wait, I would suggest you get one of their model-specific covers, rather than the one-size-fits-most that I got. If you don't like Classic Additions then look at www.vertar.com.

Just remember: people say its unwise to put a cover on a dirty car (dirt gets into fabric and if the wind moves the fabric it acts like sandpaper). I don't know how true this is, or how much dirt makes it dangerous, but I am too scared to find out. So the car needs a light clean before putting the cover on if it's dirty. Which means I only use the cover over winter - I haven't got time to clean it before putting it away!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is true as even if dirt did not get into the fabric to have a dirty dusty car and then get any sort of material and constantly rub it back and fourth over the paint work will result in the car paint work have scratches in the paint lacquer finish. Maybe a Mop and polish can remove these marks depends on how long the cover has been on ,how much wind, etc .

Some people put a indoor cloth cover on a car or heavy blanket then put the weather proof car cover on top but I am not sure if this ,method has been tried and tested for marks etc but can see the idea behind this as the inner cover would be shielded from the wind by the exterior cover hence it would move less ?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are features you should want:

* Soft lining to avoid scratches.
* Waterproof but breathable to let moisture to evaporate and let air circulate.
* Elasticated ends &/or straps so it doesn't blow off.

I second the motion re quick wash before covering.

I believe Design911 and Porscheshop do 964 covers. If you really want to blow cash Speaclisedcarcovers do hand, tailor made covers to your specification and requirements. Or check ebay...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Originally Posted by wagonface
Most of the good covers use pretty much the same material as far as I can tell. I bought one from Classic Additions - tell them you are a member of Porsche Club and you should get 10% discount, so c.£99 for cover and wire lock thingy. If you have the time to wait, I would suggest you get one of their model-specific covers, rather than the one-size-fits-most that I got. If you don't like Classic Additions then look at www.vertar.com.

Just remember: people say its unwise to put a cover on a dirty car (dirt gets into fabric and if the wind moves the fabric it acts like sandpaper). I don't know how true this is, or how much dirt makes it dangerous, but I am too scared to find out. So the car needs a light clean before putting the cover on if it's dirty. Which means I only use the cover over winter - I haven't got time to clean it before putting it away!
Thanks for the info. I actually have a Classic additions cover for one of my motorbikes and am pleased with it so may well check them out again. 10% discount helps :-)
Yeah i always wipe of my bike tank before covering, so same will apply to the car. Its just going to take longer though.

Originally Posted by CBR786
this is true as even if dirt did not get into the fabric to have a dirty dusty car and then get any sort of material and constantly rub it back and fourth over the paint work will result in the car paint work have scratches in the paint lacquer finish. Maybe a Mop and polish can remove these marks depends on how long the cover has been on ,how much wind, etc .

Some people put a indoor cloth cover on a car or heavy blanket then put the weather proof car cover on top but I am not sure if this ,method has been tried and tested for marks etc but can see the idea behind this as the inner cover would be shielded from the wind by the exterior cover hence it would move less ?

Not sure if an indoor cover on first may stop any breathability of the top cover.

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
There are features you should want:

* Soft lining to avoid scratches.
* Waterproof but breathable to let moisture to evaporate and let air circulate.
* Elasticated ends &/or straps so it doesn't blow off.

I second the motion re quick wash before covering.

I believe Design911 and Porscheshop do 964 covers. If you really want to blow cash Speaclisedcarcovers do hand, tailor made covers to your specification and requirements. Or check ebay...
I'll look at those two places, thanks.

Cheers
Simon
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
polar964
Racer

Moltex out door car cover form Hamilton classics, five layer protection. Fleece lined breathable fabric. www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk
As already said. Cover needs to be put onto a clean car otherwise you may as well cover the car in a kitchen scourer!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was pleased with these guys: http://www.prestigecarcovers.com/
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Originally Posted by polar964
Moltex out door car cover form Hamilton classics, five layer protection. Fleece lined breathable fabric. www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk
As already said. Cover needs to be put onto a clean car otherwise you may as well cover the car in a kitchen scourer!
Going with these guys. I happen to drive past them every day on the way to work as it happens!

Cheers
Simon

Quick Reply: Car Cover