Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
PM sent
Beat you to it...

Originally Posted by boxsey911
...but I thought we'd already agreed between us all, over beers in Belgium, that we'd give you £17K for yours
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Your car is a stunner and I hope you get to keep it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
...but I thought we'd already agreed between us all, over beers in Belgium, that we'd give you £17K for yours
Oh really......no recollection of agreeing to that!!!!!

Originally Posted by Cosmos99
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Your car is a stunner and I hope you get to keep it.
Don't worry....he's keeping Betty!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Save you car Frank, I'd miss you on here, your car is a cracker and I hope it's only a small glitch but think of the passion not the money and you could go in lots of directions now with the tuning.I think with your video making skills you'll soon be flush again. Good luck I hope it's not terminal only head studs. Gaz
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Frank -just saw this mate. Fingers crossed its a minor issue that GT One can resolve for you. Try to hang onto it too. I think you will look back in a few years and be happy you did.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Porsche964FP: Have you stethoscoped it yet? Possibly cam chain tensioner starting to wear.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank, so sorry to here this after all the hard work & money you have put in to your 64....

The reason I went the 993/ecu option is I had the engine before I got the car and it had 42,000 Miles on it so thought it was worth buying and then 3 yrs later it was in the car I have now & the origanal engine in the car needed a full rebuild...cams/& lots more prob.....

You could prob do this for £ 5/6,000 ish if you can find a good lump to transplant.

Try your best to keep it and don't sell if you poss can as like me you have invested far to much money in it to let it go now...

I think I've done 10/12 k so far not including the car on engine/ interior/ suspension/ brakes/ trims/ & all sorts and still going to get my perfect 964.

If money's tight what about putting it away for a bit and buying a cheap car to run about in while you save up???

I'm sure lot of scenarios have gone round in your head at the mo but it's a 964 and theres a lot more crap 964's out there than good cars like yours so do try to keep it and good luck with it...

Just think if you had 996 it would defo be a scrapper!!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

That sounds like a really loose valve.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for those who say, "We can't tell anything with the available information." Get your valves adjusted and look for broken studs at that time.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any news yet then Frank?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmos99
Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Save you car Frank, I'd miss you on here, your car is a cracker and I hope it's only a small glitch but think of the passion not the money and you could go in lots of directions now with the tuning.I think with your video making skills you'll soon be flush again. Good luck I hope it's not terminal only head studs. Gaz
Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Frank -just saw this mate. Fingers crossed its a minor issue that GT One can resolve for you. Try to hang onto it too. I think you will look back in a few years and be happy you did.
Thanks for the kind words gents.

Originally Posted by jody stowitts
Porsche964FP: Have you stethoscoped it yet? Possibly cam chain tensioner starting to wear.
Good point.

Originally Posted by fuch
Frank, so sorry to here this after all the hard work & money you have put in to your 64....

The reason I went the 993/ecu option is I had the engine before I got the car and it had 42,000 Miles on it so thought it was worth buying and then 3 yrs later it was in the car I have now & the origanal engine in the car needed a full rebuild...cams/& lots more prob.....

You could prob do this for £ 5/6,000 ish if you can find a good lump to transplant.

Try your best to keep it and don't sell if you poss can as like me you have invested far to much money in it to let it go now...

I think I've done 10/12 k so far not including the car on engine/ interior/ suspension/ brakes/ trims/ & all sorts and still going to get my perfect 964.

If money's tight what about putting it away for a bit and buying a cheap car to run about in while you save up???

I'm sure lot of scenarios have gone round in your head at the mo but it's a 964 and theres a lot more crap 964's out there than good cars like yours so do try to keep it and good luck with it...

Just think if you had 996 it would defo be a scrapper!!
Thanks mate. Everything your saying rings true, I agree. Just tough if the worst is confirmed.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
That sounds like a really loose valve.
Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
+1 for those who say, "We can't tell anything with the available information." Get your valves adjusted and look for broken studs at that time.
Your right that's the first step.

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
Any news yet then Frank?
Hi Andy, no not yet. GTOne were pretty busy when I dropped the car off - with Easter weekend and all it'll probs be at the end of next week that I get the results. So nervous.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Shaun Leahy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

POTENTIAL NEW TYPE OF ANALYSIS
Some good ideas but I tried a different route: you gave evidence and I tried to use it.

I counted the ticking and to see how it relates to the engine speed. My calcualtions indicate possibly a valve issue but you try this out:

1. Was the engine warm or cold, specifically what was it idling at then i.e idling at 750 rpm or 1200 rpm etc.

2. Rough click count is approx 30-35 clicks in 5 seconds, or approx 360-420 clicks per minute whilst the engine is idling. Possibly 1/3 or 1/2 engine speed.
However my count was brief and prone to errors.... I suggest you re-run : important you check the video clip runs at real time speed in order to prove your count of clicks per minute is accurate or do it next to the engine with an observer whilst watching a second hand etc. Then you have a more accurate click count relative to engine crank rpm.

3. I think you said it increases as the engine speed increases.... I know the bottom end is supposed to be bullet proof, but would a bearing sound like that in terms of both noise and of consistency, especially if it is going at only 1/3 or 1/2 of the engine crank speed?

Re-do the calculation of clicks to engine speed to see what the ratio is, then find out what turns at that speed relative to the engine e.g. cams, valves, bearings, (not the distributor I think)?

Pete and Craig know air-cooled very well, but I hope this method is more analytical and contradicts them, unless the bearing only clicks once every 2 to 3 times the crank turns!

Determine the possible areas then listen to those areas (stethoscope was mentioned somewhere.to locate it more closely.
Just a valve I hope!

Last edited by Shaun Leahy; 04-05-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Frank, Do you run a Cup pipe / secondary muffler set up?
If yes make shure your secondary muffler is not split/cracked on the side (opposite of R Rear wheel side)... I had a very similar sound and thought something internal happened when I found my answer... not to give you any false hope but check just in case...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

It's a real shame to hear this Frank, keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's something less serious... You won't get rid though

Good luck mate
Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 AM
mrsimpson
Advanced

Fingers crossed for you mate...

Quick Reply: 'Clicking' engine sound - trouble.