Alternator advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Alternator advice needed

Hi guys,

I am half way through my alternator repair. I picked up a remanufactured alternator from Autozone for $130 ($90 core charge).

However, there is a slight difference in the shaft where you press fit on the fan.

The original alternator has a step in the shaft that acts as the stop for pressing on the fan. The Autozone unit I have does not have the step in the shaft. See photos below. Other than that it a good match.

Anybody else run into this and just press fit the fan to the right point and then stop? Any issues with this.

I am also thinking to return the Autozone unit and just get my original alternator rebuilt.
Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Someone else on here, username Nathan I believe, used an Autozone alternator and complained about the shaft being too small and not having a good fit on the bearing, thus, the fan was hitting the housing.

He ended up going with another alternator. Not sure about specifics.

I just had my alternator (possibly an OEM Bosch unit, not sure if it had ever been replaced) rebuilt by a local shop. I picked up 1v on the charge at idle (was 13.2ish, now at 14.4v).

I noticed that unlike the original fan bearing, the new fan bearing (from Porsche, made is Slovakia), did not have a tight pressed fit. Have you tried putting the bearing on there? It may not have the tight press fit necessary to achieve what you want (i.e. Press only to a point on the shaft).
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe that bushing is removeable and will have to be reused on the new alternator.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

How to remove that bushing?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I think rebuilding is the way to go, thought I would try and save some time with the Autozone route
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, that's not a stepped shaft, but a spacer that slides over the straight shaft.

It should slide off the shaft.

I went through this when I changed out my alt.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I hereby declare in front of the rennlist membership that I am an idiot. Do you know how you remove the "step" in the shaft? With your fingers!!! It slides right off. Its just a spacer sleeve. Its amazing the artificial barriers your brain puts up.

I will take some shaft measurements tomorrow and can most likely use my autozone alternater

Thanks Mojorizing
Old 03-11-2012, 03:39 AM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ricardo, don't beat yourself up. You likely just saved a bunch of us making the same mistake. Me at the top of the list...

Good luck fittiing the new alternator bud!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:20 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swore off of AutoZone 20 years ago after 3 "lifetime guarantee" A/C compressor replacements in 3 months. When I have ventured back in for just a quart of oil or something similarly risk free, I'm reminded of why I swore off of them, and I've never regretted it.

Try freezing the entire old unit, then heating the sleeve and wrenching it off with vice grips. Helps if you can get something to use as a fulcrum between the grips and the housing to lever it off. Worked for me.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. I also confirmed my "Autozone" alternator shaft diameter matches the original one in my car, 17mm, 0.669" on both with my calipers. The sleeve on the main shaft slides off by hand and it put it on the new one. I also had to transfer the black plastic guard around the wires from my original alternator to my new one. I added these comments to the great Alternator removal DIY thread which is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...y-removal.html
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I hereby declare in front of the rennlist membership that I am an idiot. Do you know how you remove the "step" in the shaft? With your fingers!!! It slides right off. Its just a spacer sleeve. Its amazing the artificial barriers your brain puts up.
I probably would have posted the same question when I changed my alternator...fortunately the guy working at Carquest kept reminding me to take the spacer when I traded-in my old alt.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I just returned my Autozone alternator, the threads on the end of the main shaft were messed up. Can you believe another Rennlister caught this in the DIY alternator thread I posted? Thank goodness I didn't get too deep into the re-install before figuring this out.

I just dropped off my original Bosch alternator at a local rebuilder. I should have it back in a few days good as new knowing its the perfect fit.

Last edited by RicardoD; 03-12-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of Rennlister
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Can you believe another reenlisted caught this in the DIY alternator thread I posted?
Wow , that other reenlisted must be so smart , clear thinking , sharp eyed , good looking and etc etc etc .
You should buy that guy a beer or two !
Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Wow , that other reenlisted must be so smart , clear thinking , sharp eyed , good looking and etc etc etc .
You should buy that guy a beer or two !
Um....modest too?

Marc

j/k Indy - good catch.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Reenlisted?? WTF, that's the autocorrect on my Mac! Anyway that guy does deserve a beer! Saved my butt big time.

Quick Reply: Alternator advice needed