Sponsored by:

rear spoiler update with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 AM
reelman19
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More spoiler talk
1993 911; Spoiler locked in up position; no power, nothing; console switch does nothing; micro switches look OK (how can you tell?); when the console switch is turned do not hear anything like a relay opening or closing; greased the gear, WD 40 on electrical connections; is there a way to physically lower the spoiler?
Ant ideas? I may try the DIY solution on Bowman's blog; but first I have to get the spoiler down.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by reelman19
More spoiler talk
1993 911; Spoiler locked in up position; no power, nothing; console switch does nothing; micro switches look OK (how can you tell?); when the console switch is turned do not hear anything like a relay opening or closing; greased the gear, WD 40 on electrical connections; is there a way to physically lower the spoiler?
Ant ideas? I may try the DIY solution on Bowman's blog; but first I have to get the spoiler down.
Simple answer is to disconnect the drive cable at the motor and then wind it down manually.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Check fuse as well..although my motor bound up when drive gear locked it due to bearing rust out and fuse did not blow
Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 PM
reelman19
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler

Thank you; any other advice as to how to resolve problem; is there any way to test the motor, micro switches or connection under dash on passenger side
Old 01-28-2016, 01:45 PM
simonstorey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of doing this mod to my control unit.
Is there any reason I couldn't use a linear 50K potentiometer wired
to act like a variable resistor. That way I could adjust deploy speed on the fly.
The pot could mount to the outside of the control box.
Anyone done this?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:01 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Actually, I used a pot on a wire to get the various data points for the graph - it worked well.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:03 PM
simonstorey
Instructor

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Actually, I used a pot on a wire to get the various data points for the graph - it worked well.
Cool. Would 50K work?
I figure the mid point at 25K is about perfect.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:11 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

That should work. I used a signal generator on a test bench with the module to make the graph, so not installed in the car. So in theory a pot in a car should work - calibrate the dial for mph's and you're good to go.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM
simonstorey
Instructor

Perfect. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:42 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Same part # but circuit completely different

Well, finally got around to the mojorizing mod, ie changing the resistor to modify speeds at which spoiler rises & drops. Pulled off the module case and discovered the circuit is completely different from the one pictured in that mod (see post 52 in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...estions-4.html).

Mine is pictured below. Am I screwed? ie has the design completely changed so PLC programming is required instead of a simple resistor change? This is a '96 993 but the module is part # 964.618.212.00

Hoping mojorizing can chime in on this...
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2016, 03:01 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 256 Posts

This is the later type of spoiler control unit, and as far as I know are the tresholds set in the microcontroller and cannot be changed.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-10-2016, 04:21 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a question; is there a way of modifying the earlier version to make the spoiler go up or down when you turn the main spoiler control switch?

Mine only goes up or down when stationary, it seems? Not when moving, is there a change to the controller that means I can actually control the spoiler myself with the round switch at any speed?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I tried many times to get the one mojo made for me to work. I finally gave up. I wished it had come pre-programmed. Or that there had been clearer instructions for us "non-programmers"...cuz it really had been such a promising thing...and my spoiler still does its dance way too much. I just want something like down under 10 and up over 85. Easy breasy.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm still fighting my spoiler issues too. But whittling down the possible problems.

I haven't heard from any other 1989 owners on their cars spoilers.
I'm still missing the relay for my set up and I'm on the hunt for one.

My guess at this point (haven't verified with a volt meter yet as I'm out of town) is that the controller is working, sensing the speed and tries to lift the spoiler but cannot.

I get the warning light on start up and then again when I get up to speed. And again when my speed drops down.

So it appears that the controller is warning me that it tried to lift and lower the spoiler but could not.

The mechanics of the spoiler work fine, I man manually lift and lower it and the motor works fine as I can hot wire it to lift and lower.

I don't know what the state of the micro switches are for max open and closed states. I'll measure those when I get home. Lots of good info on what to expect, voltage wise, from the micro switches here.

Question, Has anyone thought of using an Arduino to control this sucker? Very programmable. I've got a spare unit that I'm thinking of toying with.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 PM
simonstorey
Instructor

KLOKWERK - I had that problem when the fuse for the spoiler was blown. It's easy to check. If not the fuse then perhaps the micro switches are non-op or need calibration.

I just replaced the 39K resistor on the spoiler control module a few days ago. Spoiler now goes up at 62.5mph. So much better than the stock settings!!

Quick Reply: rear spoiler update with questions