Sponsored by:

rear spoiler update with questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by simonstorey
I'm thinking of doing this mod to my control unit.
Is there any reason I couldn't use a linear 50K potentiometer wired
to act like a variable resistor. That way I could adjust deploy speed on the fly.
The pot could mount to the outside of the control box.
Anyone done this?
This is a good idea. Did you ever try it?

As an aside, I'm interested in how the resistor gets changed...in your case you mentioned you changed it and now the spoiler goes up at 62.5 mph. Is there anyway for you to show us lay people that know nothing about electronics how that change is made?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts
Default spoiler control - switch activated only*

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
I have a question; is there a way of modifying the earlier version to make the spoiler go up or down when you turn the main spoiler control switch?

Mine only goes up or down when stationary, it seems? Not when moving, is there a change to the controller that means I can actually control the spoiler myself with the round switch at any speed?

Thanks in advance
Yes. Up to 76 MPH, when it automatically raises... below that, full adjust-ability:

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
For those of you who prefer the clean look of the 964's silhouette and occasionally find it annoying that the engine cover spoiler is constantly going up and down in traffic, there is a very simple modification that will give you complete control via the spoiler dial on the center console. (*via a default in the system, the spoiler automatically deploys at ~75 mph)

This very simple idea came from garrett376 (and is from an old post). Instead of the spoiler automatically raising at ~50 mph and retracting at ~7 mph, simply remove the contact from two wires in the spoiler module and you are set. (the module location is different depending on model year).

I did this mod about two years ago and thought I would share it with the group since it has performed flawlessly in that time and since there are so many new members on this forum (since the original post in 2005).

Most people probably haven't thought about this mod at all and will think it's worthless, but in my experience it's been great. Cooling hasn't been affected at all, nor has the stability of the car (remember it automatically raises at 75). If you routinely drive in traffic and your spoiler needlessly raises and lowers as a consequence, this fixes that.

I did encounter one problem though, if the spoiler deploys, you have to remember to manually lower it. At first I got out of my car a couple times and realized I had forgotten to lower it. I also made sure to tell my mechanic so I didn't think there was a problem with the module during his test drives...

Two wires disconnected + some electrical tape = 911 silhouette at less than 75 mph! Thanks garrett376!

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ferrerid=19642
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ated-only.html
Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM
simonstorey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
This is a good idea. Did you ever try it?

As an aside, I'm interested in how the resistor gets changed...in your case you mentioned you changed it and now the spoiler goes up at 62.5 mph. Is there anyway for you to show us lay people that know nothing about electronics how that change is made?
In the end I didn't bother with adjustability but it's easy to add later if I want to.
Here is the thread I used to figure everything out. Go to post #52.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post10038949

In my case I pulled the existing 39k resistor and replaced with 27k to give 62.5mph.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
This is the later type of spoiler control unit, and as far as I know are the tresholds set in the microcontroller and cannot be changed.
Cheers,
Tore
I was afraid of that, but thanks for the response Tore.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply, after a quick browse this answers my question, as I have an earlier control module I can only lower the spoiler before 50 not after, and I have to hold the switch whilst driving, arrgh. I am gonna try the pots in place of the resistors and set the operation higher.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I'll recheck the fuse to be sure.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 12:59 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

fitted pots to mine today, up at 75 now, down at 25, perfect!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 PM
simonstorey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. Maybe one day I'll do the same. For now I'm happy with up at 62 and down at 10.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fitted pots to mine today, up at 75 now, down at 25, perfect!

Where did you get the pots from? Do you have a link and also was it an easy task?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Living where the summers are very hot, I would prefer to raise it @ 60mph to aid cooling......
Old 02-15-2016, 01:24 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Originally Posted by g60pops
Where did you get the pots from? Do you have a link and also was it an easy task?
I am in the uk, so Maplins, 250k and 25k linear, I put a resistor in series with each to set the minimum value as I didn't know what a short would do to the controller.

so - 250k pot with 30k resistor, and 25k pot with 20k resistor.

Any component supplier should do, RS, (Radio shack if they were still going!)
Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

I am in the uk, so Maplins, 250k and 25k linear, I put a resistor in series with each to set the minimum value as I didn't know what a short would do to the controller.

so - 250k pot with 30k resistor, and 25k pot with 20k resistor.

Any component supplier should do, RS, (Radio shack if they were still going!)
I'll get some from maplins.
Easy enough for a novice to solder I take it?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:47 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

yep, just heat up the legs of the old resistors and gently pull them out, then heat one leg of the new fixed resistors and push them through the pads away from the edge. then trim one end leg of each pot so it it thin enough to go through the pcb hole and cut off the other end leg. the centre pot leg (the wiper) bends out at 90deg to solder onto the fixed resistor for each one. The thin leg is heated up and pushed into the pcb where the old resistor leg went.

Should be a piece of cake! i just positioned them to give some support/strength.

Then put a meter accross each one and set the values as in the tables in this post.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Derek911
Racer

(91 c2 box located under glove box) I tried this resistor mod today, changing the 39k for 27k. I got up to 70 and the spoiler didn't rise. Changed it to a 33k and still no rise up to 70, but manual control works. I figured oh well, I can live with the manual control. Then I got around 80 and to my surprise the spoiler was up. Back down around 25mph. I would like it to go up around 70, so I'll try something else. Maybe the adjustable pots.
At the moment I can raise and lower manually, but once I hit 80 and it goes up automatically, I can't lower it manually. I goes does automatically around 25, and then I regain manual control. The main goal of stopping the spoiler yo-yo around town was accomplished, I can live with 80 and 25, but I'll try some other combos to see if I can get it where I want it.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I have a standard decklid with the standard spoiler fixed in place (no motor or gears), which I've yet to use (I have a ducktail as well). Are you sensing any change in handling with the spoiler not going up until 80 mph?

Quick Reply: rear spoiler update with questions