Sponsored by:

Another suspension refurb

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another suspension refurb

After changing the front suspension,replacing all bushes etc I have finally got round to making a start on the back,

Getting the rear shocks off all pretty straightforward although not a lot of room to get your hands in to the top of the strut on the passenger side to get the three nuts off, unbolted the bracket with 2 or 3 electrical connectors and disconnected a couple of them helps squeeze your hand in.

I had set the car on jack stands had to raise it a bit higher to drop the passenger side as it is a tighter squeeze to drop out.

so once both were dropped out I set about buiding up the new Bilstein HD`s now I have read numerous threads about the bump stops, I fitted them as per the instructions that came with the shocks,

So got the springs fitted to the new shocks no problem , I did notice a slight difference in the threads on the two rear shocks not sure why ?

so shocks ready to fit, however its while your in there syndrome so the ARB has come off to get pwoder coated and new powerflex bushes,(are they 21mm 90 C2?) for a I also intend to refurb the trailing arm bushes and have a nice set of 4 pot calipers to pop on the back

Last edited by GazC2; 02-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

I intend to remove the rear trailing arms this weekend, could someone clarify , do I need to take the drive shafts off the gearbox or do you get away with removing the nut on the Hub ?

any help appreciated as always

cheers

Gaz
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

So no guidance for removing the trailing arm
Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Feel like I`m talking to myself in this thread anyway has anyone any alternatives to the powerflex bushes for the rear trailing arm which are £180 a pair ?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That will be a nice upgrade! How did you finally get the rear trailing arms out- special tool?

Dunno about the rear bushes; I think perhaps Elephant Racing also do a set? Are you planning on doing any refreshing of the spring plate bushing?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just seen this thread......you don't need to take drive shafts off fella!!

Good luck... Your doing well so far,have a beer on me!!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ring powerflex direct ask for james and tell him mark windscreen said there's a downturn and you need a bit of trade discount....

Second thoughts don't mention my name......
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Cheers Fuch didn`t get round to the trailing arms this weekend got the rear arb cleaned up and will get dropped off at the powder coaters this week, the plan is for this Saturday with the brother in law to get both sides stripped out with a few beers before during and after no doubt
Old 02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

What are the springs you are using with the Bilsteins?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

The springs are from design 911

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt65_4...ering-Springs/

I was looking for lowering springs but not too harsh and these seem like a decent compromise, I had the fronts fitted for about 6 weeks before I took it off the road for the winter and was very happy with the stance and feel, replaced all the bushes on the front end with poly bushes.

car has done 150k so just looking to refresh the suspension

Last edited by GazC2; 02-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

I just did the same last summer...Same Bilsteins but with Eiback springs...still not sure it I got it right - but it's enormaously better than what was there stock....Let us know how it feels once you get it done. My issue may be with a spring rate mismatch with the bilsteins/eibach, but tough to nail down since I changed so much at once. when it gets warm again, i'll get back to it and start tweeking things to figure it out. I also did the bushings, and that made also a HUGE difference. Tightened everything up really well.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

It is early days like yourself to have a definitive view on all the changes as any change can only feel positive over which I am pretty sure was original suspension all round, I was concerned the Bilsteins were going to be a bit harsh on the crap Scottish roads in conjunction with lower stiff springs, strangely design 911 could not give me the spring ratings of the ones I have fitted but I had read a couple of decent reports which was why I went for them. (budget constraints also a factor as they sell them on ebay for £150 including vat rather than the price on their website)

Probably not a surprise but the car feels better with every change, had the geometry set on the front by the OPC as the car was being used on a display for the launch of the 991 and again felt a marked improvement, will need done again when the back is complete.

then no doubt further fettling will be ongoing, looking to be back on the road for April hopefully
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gaz Are you not changing the top mounts ? front and rear
Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

No is the simple answer purely down to the cost, the mounts all looked in decent condition however with 22 years and 150k they should really be changed, but something for the long list to do at a later date which will be easy enough since all bolts have been off etc, I suppose you can also add drop links and ball joints to the list or could be realistic to admit my drivings not good enough to notice
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Good to hear the upgrades went well.

My car has the stock 96k mi suspension and the rear rides especially harsh over expansion joints. I can't wait till my budget allows for a suspension makeover.

Quick Reply: Another suspension refurb