Sponsored by:

The OLD Power Steering/ATF Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 PM
deykamp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The OLD Power Steering/ATF Question

I have read all the posts on how to read the ATF level, what to use for the Power Steering fluid, what to fluid use for the Tiptronic, how much to add 3.5 L to 6L, etc.

My owners manual states ATF Dexron for the Power Steering and ATF Dexron II D for the Automatic Transmission.

For the Power Steering Fluid, the Dealer says to use Pentosin CF11 and the steering rack rebuilder says to use ATF Dexron.

I was thinking of using Valvoline Mercon for the Automatic Transmission Fluid and and Power Steering Fluid. The Power Steering Fluid was black and the Automatic Transmission was done by the dealer at 45K, but they were not sure what they used.

ANY, suggestions...
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dexron and dexron . Flush all the old fluid if you are not sure what the old fluid is , start fresh with the right stuff . Dexron is cheap cheap , no reason not to use lots of it .
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 flush it well.

Mine was black at 35k miles. No issues with Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF.

good thread
Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Factory recommends Pentosin, even on 964s (theres even a TSB regarding it IIRC), why not just use that?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
deykamp
Intermediate

I believe all the Pentosin lubricants are synthetic.
Please correct me on this and the following discussion if I'm incorrect.
I'm all in favor of synthetic lubricants (I use a synthetic motor oil).

1) (Power Steering) The steering rack rebuilder told me to use Dexron. Now, I would assume ZF has upgraded the seal kit to accommodate the newer fluids, but that would cost money.

2) (Power Steering) Adrian Streather's Enthusiasts Companion states "Do not use synthetic hydraulic fluids in this system. The gaskets and seals are not designed to handle such fluids". Now, the book was written in 2003, maybe that statement is not 100% correct.

3) (Power Steering) I want to use synthetic because of the supposed advantages to heat/breakdown, but I don't want any seal issues.

4) (Automatic Transmission) The updated fluid level (1994) states the fluid level should be between 15 mm above the full mark and 3 mm below @ 80C, and still states use ATF-Dexron IID, not sure when the TSB to switch to synthetics occurred.

5) (Automatic Transmission) Valvoline/Mercon VI is a synthetic automatic transmission fluid and I do not see a glaring problem with using this in the transmission.

6) (Power Steering) I'm making sure it is flushed and replacing the reservoir to make sure there is no power steering pump metal/contamination. I believe Pentosin CHF 202 is "blendable" with non-synthetic fluids, and would not be real "keen" on flushing the system with + $25.00 fluid (+ 3 quarts) fluid.

Any comments suggestions welcome.

Dale
Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/3...0696geolab.pdf
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

chf11s is $30ish a liter .
dexron redline synthetic $10ish per quart .
Old 06-08-2020, 03:31 AM
Reis
1st Gear

Can any body tell me why the power steering reservoir says to use mineral fluid only?

Quick Reply: The OLD Power Steering/ATF Question