Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Recommendation

Gents can anyone tell me the correct fluid to use for the power steering ?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Here's where you can get it.....http://www.lufteknic.com (no affiliation).
Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Per the owners manual (89 C4) use Dexron ATF.

Below is a Rennlist DIY on flushing/refilling the PS resevoir:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...ing-fluid.html

The DIY user used Dexron III ATF. Since you dont know whats in there or how old it is this may be a suggested DIY before you add/mix more exotic fluids in there.

Good Luck
Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
pantera43
Pro

Thanks Jonnygo1, actually I purchased my transmission fluid from them. I'm reinstalling my engine this weekend so time is of the essense. I was hoping there would be something available local to me from one of the parts stores. In the manual they recommend ATF Dextron but don't specifically state which one 2 or 3.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
pantera43
Pro

Thanks Stephen for the info and link. Geez flush out the system. I already thought I had a lot to do with the engine install.

Dan
Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pantera43
Thanks, actually I purchased my transmission fluid from them. I'm reinstalling my engine this weekend so time is of the essense. I was hoping there would be something available local to me from one of the parts stores. In the manual they recommend ATF Dextron but don't specifically state which one 2 or 3.
From http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/steering/ FAQ section:

Fluids
For the 924s, 928, 944, 968 use a quality brand name Dexron type II or III (you do not need synthetic types, there is no advantage using systhetics).
For the C2, C4 and 993 you can use Dexron up to March of 1996. From March 1996 onward Porsche started using Pentosin CHF 11 S (green).
Also, in the DIY link I posted previously the user had used Dexron III. My PS pump has a minor leak so I have been topping up with Dexron III with no issues.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Ok...since this seems to be the most recent thread on PS fluid... Adrian's book warns against any synthetic fluid to be used in the system. There is no Dexron II/III any longer(that is regulated according to Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON )...all replaced with the 'new' Dexron VI.

"All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006."

"Fluids claiming Dexron III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, and D/M however since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated in any way."

Is there a mineral based Dexron VI??? Is a semi-syn ok? Or is there a name brand Dexron III "compatible" (that word has to be used since the licensing expired) which would still be safe to use?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
james944
Instructor

I thought all the newer versions of Dexron were backwards compatible (the wikipedia article seconds this).

I flushed my PS system last year with Dexron-VI (Castrol) and haven't had any problems. If that was a bad idea, could someone let me know?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Originally Posted by james944
I thought all the newer versions of Dexron were backwards compatible (the wikipedia article seconds this).

I flushed my PS system last year with Dexron-VI (Castrol) and haven't had any problems. If that was a bad idea, could someone let me know?
I bought (likely) the same Castrol(semi-syn?), but read in Adrian's book that using synthetic would be rather a bad choice... Just not sure about the semi-syn. ...which is why I dredged this thread up.(The pre-2007 threads are a time when Dexron III was still licensed/available)

If you've had no issues (leaks) over the last year, then I suspect all is fine with using the semi-syn. But anyone with confirmation?

15 years and no record of a fluid flush on my C2. Fluid level is fine...no leaks to speak of. I am usually of the mind of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' ...but a 15 year old fluid should be changed out, yes?

Totally off topic... I just saw a white Maserati Ghibli pass by the house!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I just saw a white Maserati Ghibli pass by the house!
You be livin' in style!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
You be livin' in style!
Me...depends on your idea of style The wedding I attended this past weekend in Houston, with one of the uncles (of my friend) who owns a RR Phantom...that's living in style!

The Ghibli, while not one of the 'hottest' of cars around here, is certainly one of the more rare with only ~1300 ever being produced.

But going back to the topic. What gives with semi-syn Dexron VI? Or is there a full mineral VI since the III classification is now unregulated?

Last edited by HardTarget; 06-08-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Pentosin, when I changed my steering rack.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My steering had a sticking point when turning left or right at about the 45 degree point. Someone suggested that I change the fluid. I flushed out the old fluid (don't know what it was) and replaced it with Dexron III. I solved the problem and I've had no issues since.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

So, the Prestone power steering fluid I used from WalMart is ok? Not ok?

(This may be the only item that my '98 Corolla and '93 C2 have in common...)
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Ok... I don't mean to sound like a broken record here. Dexron II/III are no longer licensed; and anything claiming to be currently (from 2007 on) wiill have 'compatible' on the label, but is unregulated. So it may or may not be good...so my assumption is. Dexron VI replaced those fluids, but I believe only comes semi-syn or full syn; which, according to Adrian's book:

"Do not use synthetic hydraulic fluids in this system. The gaskets and seal are not designed to handle such fluid."

james944 used the Castrol VI, which is a semi-syn, and has seen no issues...ok...that's great. Is there confirmation that a blended fluid is fine for the seals in the system? That's all I am trying to figure out.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Recommendation