Sponsored by:

no start...then I remembered my RL training

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts
Default no start...then I remembered my RL training

I had quite a few errands to run yesterday, so I ended up driving the 964 all over town. I was loving every minute of it...reveling in its size, performance, looks, and of course sounds. Actually I'm somewhat ashamed to say I'm probably obsessed with the car, but that's probably OK to admit on this forum...

My glorious day almost went bad when all of a sudden the car wouldn't start. It cranked and cranked and cranked. I waited a couple seconds and tried again. The engine turns over, but no start.

Now for the really bad news...if couldn't get the car started and be home in 20 minutes, I'd make my wife late for a dinner with her girlfriend. So the pressure was on! I almost called her to give her some warning about my car trouble. So with wifey pressure on my mind, ALL logical problem solving ability I might have went out the window.

I started up the phone and did a quick RL search...the first thread I read had a post from Rocket Rob (always a comforting voice when there's a problem)...check DME fuel relay. Of course!

Pulled a spare out of the tool kit and the car fired up right away. Home in time for wifey to head out the door on time.

After she left, I went back out to the garage to have one last look at the car...

Thanks RL for saving my ****!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done!!!

I'm so **** I have two spares (actually at Weiner's suggestion).
Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It happened to me earlier this year too. I was very happy with myself after it started with the spare one! The next thing I did was to order a new spare!!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I had quite a few errands to run yesterday, so I ended up driving the 964 all over town. I was loving every minute of it...reveling in its size, performance, looks, and of course sounds. Actually I'm somewhat ashamed to say I'm probably obsessed with the car, but that's probably OK to admit on this forum...

My glorious day almost went bad when all of a sudden the car wouldn't start. It cranked and cranked and cranked. I waited a couple seconds and tried again. The engine turns over, but no start.

Now for the really bad news...if couldn't get the car started and be home in 20 minutes, I'd make my wife late for a dinner with her girlfriend. So the pressure was on! I almost called her to give her some warning about my car trouble. So with wifey pressure on my mind, ALL logical problem solving ability I might have went out the window.

I started up the phone and did a quick RL search...the first thread I read had a post from Rocket Rob (always a comforting voice when there's a problem)...check DME fuel relay. Of course!

Pulled a spare out of the tool kit and the car fired up right away. Home in time for wifey to head out the door on time.

After she left, I went back out to the garage to have one last look at the car...

Thanks RL for saving my ****!
Jetta - Glad it was a simple fix.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great stuff I'm presuming it's recommended to buy a OEM 964 DME as opposed to an aftermarket one? I'm a bit apprehensive about buying a cheap one from eBay? Or am I being paranoid?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Part#? I need to get one to carry around.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Great stuff I'm presuming it's recommended to buy a OEM 964 DME as opposed to an aftermarket one? I'm a bit apprehensive about buying a cheap one from eBay? Or am I being paranoid?
Nope, not at all.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by KaiB
Nope, not at all.
Thanks for that. Another question what's the difference between OEM and Genuine? Because the two are priced differently £ 22 and £ 48 respectively. Apologies for the rookie question.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I'd get an original (even though the price has doubled over the last 3 years ) but which ever one you buy, put it straight in the fuse panel. That way you know it works and the one you've taken out can go in the glove box because you already know that one works.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Nice tip Steve But isn't Original Equipment Manufacturer genuine? What am I misunderstanding?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Nice tip Steve But isn't Original Equipment Manufacturer genuine? What am I misunderstanding?
Sorry, by genuine I mean bought from a Porsche dealer or from an on-line parts supplier that sources it from Porsche. Indeed OEM should mean that it's made by the manufacturer that makes it for Porsche but usually doesn't have the Porsche part number on it. e.g. Bosch make a lot of parts for Porsche. In the case of Design 911 you'll see that they sell both a genuine and OEM relay. The OEM is probably as good as the genuine one.

Unfortunately, sometimes parts are advertised as OEM but are made by a company that Porsche doesn't use i.e. not everyone tells the truth (especially on ebay).
Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
RW964
Racer

Boxsey911 this is a good idea I have a spare but have not checked it also I have put the jumpers together and have them as well ya never know .. One thing seeing my car on a flat bed but something else to do it at night in the rain or snow.. A pc of wire could save the day. Also going to fuse it just to be sure. Great info at this forum ...

"Personally, I'd get an original (even though the price has doubled over the last 3 years ) but which ever one you buy, put it straight in the fuse panel. That way you know it works and the one you've taken out can go in the glove box because you already know that one works. " Glad you gave me this idea B 911
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Cheers Steve.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Sorry, by genuine I mean bought from a Porsche dealer or from an on-line parts supplier that sources it from Porsche. Indeed OEM should mean that it's made by the manufacturer that makes it for Porsche but usually doesn't have the Porsche part number on it. e.g. Bosch make a lot of parts for Porsche. In the case of Design 911 you'll see that they sell both a genuine and OEM relay. The OEM is probably as good as the genuine one.

Unfortunately, sometimes parts are advertised as OEM but are made by a company that Porsche doesn't use i.e. not everyone tells the truth (especially on ebay).
Quite right - there is a difference between OE and OEM

Marc
Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

A spare DME Relay has saved me in the past!

Quick Reply: no start...then I remembered my RL training