Sponsored by:

Ac problem on my porsche here in tx and detail pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac problem on my porsche here in tx and detail pics

The ac has been acting wierd. If the car is dead cold it will blow cold and get down in the 50 degree range coming out the vents. But about 20 mins after the ac is on the temp will slowly creep higher and higher. If I turn it off for about 10 mins and turn it back on it will work for about 20 mins and then do the same thing. Thats on the highway. I daily drive the car 100 miles round trip a day to work and its all highway. On the weekends just running around town though it blows kinda cold but as the motor warms up so does the ac. Ive checked the condensor fan and it works. Ive even re did a vacuum at work and it holds vacuum just fine and put freon back in it. It has 2.2 r134 in it. Any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Its starting to get pretty hot here in tx lol. Also had the car detailed and polished yesterday. Heres a pic

Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

First thought is if the charge is the correct amount, including oil.

Second thought is the freeze switch is kaput.

Great looking car.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SeanR
First thought is if the charge is the correct amount, including oil.

Second thought is the freeze switch is kaput.

Great looking car.
Thank you. Where is the freeze switch?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Great looking car! I'm in DFW too.

As for the A/C, maybe it's the drier going out.

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/ice/mrice5.html
See point 1a
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vandit
Great looking car! I'm in DFW too.

As for the A/C, maybe it's the drier going out.

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/ice/mrice5.html
See point 1a
Awesome. You got a 964 also vandit? I would like to meet up with someone who is familiar with these cars and drive and check mine out. You interested?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Having not changed or put in a new one in a 964, I can't say for certainty. It should be located in the evaporator, which will be close to the windshield, under a cowl cover where you find the windshield wiper mechanism.

I can say that a drier won't just 'go out' so you can rule that out of the equation. The drier should be changed each time the systems is exposed to air. This sounds more like a freezing up situation.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Yeah I was wondering if possibly the evaporator might be freezing up. I looked through the flaps on the firewall behind the radio and it looked dirty. I know it isnt leaking though cause the car always has the same amount of freon. Im gonna try and spray some soap and water in there and a airblower to hopefully clean it up some
Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark Preus
Awesome. You got a 964 also vandit? I would like to meet up with someone who is familiar with these cars and drive and check mine out. You interested?
Yup, a white C2.

I've been a P-car owner for all of 2 months now, so i'm not sure how "familiar" i'd consider myself, haha.

My A/C was also acting up recently and it turned out it needed a recharge and probably has a very slow leak somewhere (i.e. the system held pressure, but probably leaks slow enough that it may be more cost effective to recharge (R134) periodically than fix permanently.).
Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Yup, a white C2.

I've been a P-car owner for all of 2 months now, so i'm not sure how "familiar" i'd consider myself, haha.

My A/C was also acting up recently and it turned out it needed a recharge and probably has a very slow leak somewhere (i.e. the system held pressure, but probably leaks slow enough that it may be more cost effective to recharge (R134) periodically than fix permanently.).
Well atleast you could compare yours to mine lol. I would just like someone elses opinion on if my car is running up to its full potential. It feels a little lazy to me. And mine also according to the previous owner has cams and a few other goodys. You interested in meeting up some time?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

You got PM. Want to try Cars & Coffee this Saturday?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

You got PM. Want to try Cars & Coffee this Saturday?
Would love to but I gotta go to a family reunion this weekend
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 AM
Bertrand
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the AC blows hot, are the pipes that go from the A-pillar to the dash inside the car hot or cold? Is hot air blown out of the rear wheel-wells?

See diagram, there should be no hot air coming through pipes 16.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Is your AC condenser fan running? I'm wondering if its not. With the engine running and the AC set to max, check to see if the fan is running in the left front fender. Also, do you have access to a Scantool or Hammer? Are there any error codes on the CCU?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a fast note for the A/C if you think the eveap. coil is freezing up check the air flow when blowing cold and then after the heat comes. If the coil is freezing up there should be less air flow over the coil as there is less coil area to pass air. Found this out at work and turns out just to be a dirty coil. A bit of pm and all the dirt was gone and a/c was working great after that. Just one fast check. As for you guys up there north of Houston I have friends up in Duncanville and Desoto Next time I am going up to see them I will take the P car and get with you two. Your paint looks GREAT nice work
Old 05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Is your AC condenser fan running? I'm wondering if its not. With the engine running and the AC set to max, check to see if the fan is running in the left front fender. Also, do you have access to a Scantool or Hammer? Are there any error codes on the CCU?
Yes condenser fan is working great

Quick Reply: Ac problem on my porsche here in tx and detail pics