Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi I'm new, first Porsche and I love it (few updates)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
paveltchour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi I'm new, first Porsche and I love it (few updates)

Hi all,

Porsche has always been my dream car for a number of reasons, I absolutely love the way it looks, I love what it brand stands for and I love the performance of the car. I visited the Porsche museum in Stuttgart about a year ago and was pretty much sold on the idea of owning a Porsche one day.

One day a friend of mine (at that time a porsche owner) told me something that stuck with me over the past year. He said, the difference between sitting in traffic in any regular car and a porsche is that when you're stuck in inside a porsche, you don't mind it. (I'm yet to experience traffic)

Fast forward a few months. We relocated our company to San Francisco Bay Area from Toronto, Canada and I needed to buy a car. Looked at a few '06 year models, but with recent house renovations had to reduce my budget. Ended up finding a '91 Carrera 4 on craigslist, high miles, but the engine has no leaks and pulls very strong. Here she is:

Name:  4yHbP.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  212.7 KB

Name:  EDTA7.jpg
Size:  199.4 KB

Name:  zwBCc.jpg
Size:  233.8 KB

It's now been almost a week of ownership and I'm really happy with the purchase. There are a few things that I'm still getting used to such as the ABS pump buzzing away randomly. The brake feel is not like I'm used to, it doesn't bite into the rotors but stops very well if I just push harder. Some other issues I still need to research and work out.

- Passenger window switch broke - which is apparently a common problem (new one is in the mail)
- The weather stripping on the drivers side door is getting worn
- I absolutely hate the aftermarket deck the previous owner put in, hoping to buy the Porsche Classic one day.
- Car needs new speakers and an amp, listening to the current setup is just painful.
- Rear taillights - I hated the tint when I bought it, but now it's growing on me. The issue is that they are coming apart (apparently a common issue also?), I'm thinking of just fixing them myself or at least try to.
- Little plastic bracket around the passenger fog lamp is cracked

Otherwise, she's a great car, planted through the corners, puts a smile on my face every time and I can't stop looking at her.

Thank you for up-keeping such a great forum, I learned a lot after lurking only for a few days.

Last edited by paveltchour; 05-29-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Congrats and welcome to 964 ownership! What are your plans for the car? Will you keep it stock or do mods?

Regarding the brake feel, you may want to try a different style of brake pads. Some have more initial grip than others. I had a set that I never liked the feel. I'm currently using Pagid Street Blues.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Please don't panic if she marks her spot. Welcome to rennlist.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Welcome paveltchour! Great intro post. You definitely sound like you have the "love" for these cars. Your journey has started!

Great color, but I'm a little bias.

Are the tails painted or vinyl wrapped? My tails are wrapped vinyl. I also wrapped my front, secondary lights...really looks sinister on Slate Grey. The lights disappear into the silhouette...very nice and subtle.

Sorry to add to the project list, but you've got to straighten out your front bumper, it's an easy fix: http://porsche964.com/?page_id=293
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 PM
paveltchour
Advanced

Plans for the car... hmm... I haven't really thought about it that far. I've owned a few completely modified cars before and found them to be annoying by the end of it. Even right now, that exhaust on the 964 is driving me crazy (I'd like to change it back to stock).

There are some mods that I really like on the car already: bilstein coilovers (not sure if that's entirely true, I never checked yet), intake, cup 2 wheels.

I think I'll clean the car up first, fix the taillights, clean up the exterior, fix the audio, change the exhaust to something not as loud and doesn't stick out of the bumper as much. Make it a bit lower, put nicer wheels on it.

Oh yeah, bushings in the front. On the highway, the car feels like it floats around, not sure if it's normal but I think some poly bushings will fix that problem entirely.

So I guess I plan to do clean, tasteful mods that will make the car better (at least in my mind).

911Jetta: Thanks for the heads up. The lights are clearly painted. I never realized you can vinyl wrap them! Also, great link, will do that on the weekend
Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Jr250
Advanced

Looks like a very nice car. Congrats. I'm just 2 months ahead of you in terms of porsche ownership although only a couple weeks ahead of actually getting to drive it...

Perhaps I'm different, but after some 5 drives and 400k's, I have yet to even turn the radio on in my car. (I was told it works...I suppose I should check), but I don't expect to tire of the amazing noise from the 3.6 L behind me.
That's just me...
Have fun!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Brandon-FL
Advanced

Welcome and there is no better way to get to know your car than driving it every chance you can. Your list of "projects" sounds pretty familiar and you will find that you can learn alot in taking care of some of the small projects (wiring, mechanicals, cosmetics).

Nice color and know that the smile on your face isn't going to wear off for a while.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:52 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice! Great colour, perfect stance......you might want to consider loosing the dark tint on your rear lights as imho they make the rear of the car feel a bit 'detached' from the front.

Just my opinion though....many happy (s)miles!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
parsonii
Racer

nice color .... i really really like it and i would have taken your car any day over an 06.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
paveltchour
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice.

Originally Posted by evoderby
Very nice! Great colour, perfect stance......you might want to consider loosing the dark tint on your rear lights as imho they make the rear of the car feel a bit 'detached' from the front.

Just my opinion though....many happy (s)miles!
I tend to agree with this. I love the contrast with the orange lights in the front, so I think I'll pick up a new set of lights for the back first and then if I want to tint them later I'll do it with vinyl (for easy removal if necessary).
Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

That is a nice looking 964!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

The car's stance looks great! Really aggressive, great looking, car.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr250
Looks like a very nice car. Congrats. I'm just 2 months ahead of you in terms of porsche ownership although only a couple weeks ahead of actually getting to drive it...

Perhaps I'm different, but after some 5 drives and 400k's, I have yet to even turn the radio on in my car. (I was told it works...I suppose I should check), but I don't expect to tire of the amazing noise from the 3.6 L behind me.
That's just me...
Have fun!
Oh no it's definitely not just you, the mrs knows that all conversations must come to an abrupt holt when the sunroof and both windows open as a tunnel appears

g-pipe and cat by pass - I'm childish
Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Congrats & welcome.

Couple of thoughts on your upgrades:

1. Brakes - change the hoses to braided stainless steel first, and flush out the old fluid. If the bite still isn't up to what you want, change the pads. The brakes on the 964 are great in OEM form.

2. The Porsche Classic radio is very Euro-centric. I checked with the Porsche AG people, and apparently it's not recommended for use in Asia where I am.

If you're an audiophile, and have to change your amp and speakers, try this as your start point. Expensive, but well worth it, IMO:

Great review:
http://caraudiomag.com/articles/pioneer-dex-p99rs

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new, first Porsche and I love it (few updates)