Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi I'm new, first Porsche and I love it (few updates)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 PM
ad-01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She is a beauty
Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM
braol
Advanced

Originally Posted by paveltchour
Plans for the car... hmm... I haven't really thought about it that far. I've owned a few completely modified cars before and found them to be annoying by the end of it. Even right now, that exhaust on the 964 is driving me crazy (I'd like to change it back to stock).

There are some mods that I really like on the car already: bilstein coilovers (not sure if that's entirely true, I never checked yet), intake, cup 2 wheels.

I think I'll clean the car up first, fix the taillights, clean up the exterior, fix the audio, change the exhaust to something not as loud and doesn't stick out of the bumper as much. Make it a bit lower, put nicer wheels on it.

So I guess I plan to do clean, tasteful mods that will make the car better (at least in my mind).
I say drive it for a while to really hash it out berefore doing anything: Some examples of things that you might discover after owning the car for a few months:

Brake pad thickness?

Replace all brake/PS/Trans fluids.

Trunk carpet have missing snaps, tears in the fabric?...does the trunk smell like gas after hard right-hand cornering (fuel filler update).

Any drips in the driveway??

When was the last time the valves were adjusted?!

Belts...especially that distributor belt...

Any oil seepage from the oil lines running to the right front oil cooler? Does the oil cooler fan work properly?

How's the A/C??? Any exhaust smell when the heater is on???

I don't like to scare new owners but I have found that making sure all the basics are up to snuff and having a little cash cushion saved-up makes Porsche ownership and long-distance driving a wonderful experience!!!

I echo your sentiment about modifications. I'm all about tasteful mods and shy towards mostly stock. Everyone has their own individual tastes but many of the mods everyone does makes the car louder (your exhaust complaint) and too stiff AND cost way too much precious cash for the value. I have always been of the opinion that Porsche built the 964's correct right from the factory. My neighbor has a 993 that can smoke my 964 on a race track with a loud exhaust, low racing suspension, poly bushings everywhere, solid engine mounts....but sometimes I catch him complaining about the harsh squeaky ride!

When given a choice I'll take a tight and reliable car over a boy-racermobile. If I wanted to be loud and low I would have bought a Subaru with a bunch of Japanese alphabet stickers pasted all over it. If I wanted to go uber-fast I would have bought a 930 Turbo; but I bought a 964 C2 and I'm as happy as a clam..................now about that G-Pipe, K&N Filter, and front strut brace.................
Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 PM
paveltchour
Advanced

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by sml
can we lose the window tint?
Nope. I like it.

Originally Posted by Pochi.X
Oh my, you're gonna make me cry.

Now to achieve my dream of owning one, gotta work hard to earn the money to buy and maintain one! (I am 23 years old kiddo!)
Just keep working hard and making smart decisions. I'm not much older than you.

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Great job fixing the frown. Beautiful car! Stll not a big fan of the smoke tail lights, but I think the window tint is fine.

Not sure which sway bar that is - does it have a part number listed anywhere? Nice to have an adjustable front sway! Is the rear sway stock? Looks like it's set to the middle setting. I often read that those with the 5-way adjustables use the loosest setting to dial out the inherent understeer of the stock setup. Your results may vary, but probably best to find out how the car behaves at the limit on the track.

I used to have the Eibach's on my 964. I think that the shock/spring combo should be good for street performance use; and adequate for DE use - as long as the condition of the shocks are good.
Thanks. The tail lights have to go... Still trying to figure out the best place to buy. The sway bar doesn't seem to have any part numbers on it, but I won't touch the setup for now.

I took her through twisties today and at the limit she seems to want to understeer rather than rotate. HOWEVER, the front tires seem to be getting old (cracking etc), so that's also on the immediate to-do list.

I had Eibach's on some cars before, and they are definitely comfortable on the street, and decent on the track, so I'm fairly happy.

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new, first Porsche and I love it (few updates)