964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guy: do not allow anybody to touch this car and its engine until you learn a bit more here.

Ask about rebuilds and shops in your area in a seperate thread, learn, research and do a bit of work first.

Please. We are not rebuilding a small block Chevy here, for that matter we are not rebuilding another in-line straight six from Bravaria...please don't make two mistakes in a row with that beautiful car.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM
KaiB
Banned

Also, why on earth do you want a lightweight flywheel?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:32 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, why on earth do you want a lightweight flywheel?

Hi KaiB. My mechanic said it would be a cost wash and this is what I have heard about the "upgrade" to an RS flywheel:

"Allow the engine to rev quicker. It takes less time for the engine to reach the more usable power band and the "Varioram"

Please feel free to counterpoint (loud etc). The parts aren't ordered yet...

Thanks again
Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
Hi KaiB. My mechanic said it would be a cost wash and this is what I have heard about the "upgrade" to an RS flywheel:

"Allow the engine to rev quicker. It takes less time for the engine to reach the more usable power band and the "Varioram"

Thanks again
If you've got the cash to splash, do it, if you haven't, don't.

P.S Unless the previous "diligent" owner slipped a late 993 engine into your car, you haven't got Varioram to reach more quickly . . . . .

Now about the mechanic who's making these recommendations, do tell us more . . . . .
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

964s don't have Varioram iirc.. that was introduced on the 993's
Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

With that reply from your mechanic, I would really slow down. Varioram didn't come to the 911 until the 1996-1998 993 model. Really start listening to the people here - we are all trying to help you, but you aren't listening...SLOW DOWN, RESEARCH, TALK TO MORE THAN 1 SHOP, ETC.

You keep saying your wrench is well known locally...what is locally and who is it?

Yes the lighweight flywheel will rev faster, but it comes with additional noise and other characteristics that you may or may not want. It is good for a track car, but if you are just using it for a weekender I wouldn't go with a lightweight flywheel. SEARCH ON THIS AND READ A LITTLE.

-Skip
Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Why am I defending leaks??? Because I've turned my own wrenches for more than 30 years and never seen a motor that didn't leak somewhere. Leaking is part of the deal. Perhaps next you are going to tell me that the SR-71 didn't leak.
I'm not sure what stuff you've been "wrenching" on, but I've seen plenty from a bunch of ford v8s, to three benz v8s, to 2 bmw inline 6s, to several japanese 4 bangers etc.

An SR-71 leaks fuel, not oil, and does so by design to deal with incredible heat at the speed altitude that it flies.

An automobile engine should not leak.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
KaiB
Banned

Guy - ditto the above.

After reading you, we all see your heart is in the right place - yer doing the right thing by that car and it should be the car of your dreams (as our cars can indeed be). You do NOT want a LWF.

I'm also beginning to wonder if this mech should be the one doing your engine.

Please slow down.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Hi Cobalt and thanks for your reply. The car has already had the following done:

New tires
New Brake pads
New Rotors
New Clutch
The car is beautiful so, I am going to do the following:

Rebuild:
new main bearings
rod bearings
intermediate shaft bearings
#8 main bearing
crankcase main oil galley plug
new rod bolts
new pistons and cylinders
new flywheel bolts
intermediate shaft sprockets as needed
cam and idler sprockets
timing chains
chain ramps
chain tensioners
on pre 1980 engines we update the idler sprocket arms to the wide ones with bronze bushings
intake and exhaust valve guides
exhaust valves
valve springs
rocker shafts
valve adjusters
complete gasket and seal kit
cam housing oil spray tubes plugs
cam oil lines
oil return tubes
oil pump lock tabs
oil pressure switch
rubber oil line to cooler
oil vent hose
heater hoses
sparkplugs
new fuel injectors
all belts
crankcase locknuts
valve cover locknuts
chain cover locknuts
exhaust nuts at exhaust ports
Threebond 1194 crankcase sealant
remove the crankcase main oil galley plug
install crankcase main oil galley plug
polish the crank
recondition the rods
pinfit the new connecting rod bushings
replace all 12 valve guides
hone valve guide bores and valve stems (new valve stems as needed)
do a precision 3 angle valve job
machine head gasket sealing surface flat
regrind the cams and rockers to RS spec
remove cam housing oil spray tubes
install cam housing oil spray tubes
install new oil spray tube plugs
Balance
New Lightweight flywheel

This is the list off of Paul Weir's site and this is what is being done to the car by my mechanic.

Eventually, I would like to do a fabspeed exhaust...maybe late summer or fall.
Ok, Might be smarter to start a new thread.

Honestly if the car truly has only 79k miles on the odo most of these parts should not be necessary. You shouldn't need new pistons and cylinders and your not getting all of these parts plus the rebuild for anything close to $14k. If your going to go through this much trouble start thinking of upgrades for a few $$ more. But honestly I think you will find most of these parts should have 100k miles left in them or more. Many of these parts can easily be inspected, tested or cleaned for far less than replacement costs. Send your injectors out for cleaning if needed or bench test them.

Unfortunately, the engine is already apart so it is too late for a leak down and compression test. My 93 C2 has nearly 60k miles most of the last 28k have been hard track miles and my most recent leak down test still showed 1-2% in all 6 cylinders.

For future reference anything can happen to cause an oil leak unexpectedly in an engine that is air/oil cooled. A can of degreaser and an hour or so of cleaning along with these tests should have been suggested by your mechanic long before anything else was done. Without these tests what gave him the feeling the engine was in need of this work?

Now that you are in the thick of it he has you over a barrel but I would insist on finding out what he felt was so apparent that a complete engine disasembly was required? I would be curious to hear his response because to be honest he probably won't be able to come up with one that makes sense to anyone here. There are only a few things that can go wrong with these engines that would require such drastic measures and most all of them would not require the amount of work you are listing.

I would take a step back and a deep breath and i think you might find the right questions can save you a lot of money and you will end up with a car that drives and runs as nice as it looks.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Thanks again
Varioram was not until 1996 and is a nice upgrade but way too costly at his point. I am 100% for the LWF I have it on my C2 and it makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Varioram
My bad. I copied and pasted an applicable quote regarding lightweight flywheel benifits (for a 993). I just copied a bit too much of it: Varioram...Varioram didn't come out of my mechanics mouth.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 PM
KaiB
Banned

I am 100% for the LWF I have it on my C2 and it makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive.

And yer a hot shoe with a lot of air cooled experience.

Guy, as I read him, is not (and that's fine). He has a looker, a beautiful car and seems to be a fellow who might not benefit from a LWF - and might really dislike the attendant hassles/noise.

Of course I have one and consider it necessary...for a driver in a modded car, not a fat assed cabrio (which I happen to love, not that I'd buy one).
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Anthony, is a chip change a recommended/required part of the LWF upgrade?
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

THIS HAS TO BE A HOAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With 2,777 views and 141 posts in just over 24 hours, you don't think this "Guy" is just jerking your chains?

With statements like:
Relying on his mechanic ("He's a pro and locally well known"), but he's confusing Varioram with our 964's;
Why shouldn't I install a lightweight flywheel;
Oil leaks everywhere;
Top end jobs vs. complete rebuild;
etc., etc.,
he's hit almost every common topic on the 964 Forum.

This Guy has to be going down the list of popular old posts and toying with you, laughing at your every response.

WAKE UP!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Uhhhh,

GuyMonnin....................... Guy Moaning

GET IT YET?????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY