Sponsored by:

Hawk's Friday post- April 8

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk's Friday post- April 8

Well, it's my wife's birthday tomorrow, and we're going overnight to a B&B sans Porsche. The roof parts are here, but no time to work on it this week. I'll have it together over the next week or so. things should be quiet enough to get a few hrs of wrench time.

Not really much else. So what about your plans?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Must run, but want to be the first to say hi....

"HI!"

We're shoveling dirt out here in Bugtussle, but the hops are in the ground.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Regrettably - my massive order from Pelican has not arrived - so instead I'll be sorting out a troubling "clunk" from the front of a pal's smart car and then hitting the Spring motorcycle show.

Plus - I'll be lamenting the death of one channel in my Soundstream amp. Sigh.

Not a good P-car weekend at all.

RK
Old 04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

No Porsche time this weekend. My GF and I are driving down to Newport, RI for the weekend. Her daughter is a freshman in college there and she has two dance shows. One Sat afternoon and the other on Sunday. We will do the mansion tour on Saturday. I've been wanting to do that for a while. For those that don't know Newport history, there was a building boom in the 1890's where wealthy families (Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, etc) built "summer cottages" to escape the NYC heat. Then a one-ups-manship started happening. The cottages became large mansions. Several still survive and are open for to the public.

Am looking forward to it and of course the dance shows.....

Sample "cottage"
Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

no Pcar stuff. I have been out mowing grass all morning and cutting my 6' tall azaleas down a couple of feet so they can thicken back up. Its going to be in the 90's all weekend so may take a ride over towards Daytona and check out the spring break hotties on the beach
Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a great time down in Newport with my wife and Son. I used to live in Nashua years ago, and went once to The Breakers with my parents, but this time we really dug in.

My wife was cracking me up, claiming to all who would listen that we were from the Western clan of the Vanderbilts, the Peterbilts....

Amazing place.

For fun, if you like that world, read "The Gold Coast" by Nelson DeMille. He's snarky and funny, and its a novel about crime and life in the post Mansion era... very funny work.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy bday to the wife Hawk. I just put insurance on my car last night, went out for the first rip of the year. I am going to pay some much needed love and give her a bath this weekend.

Jeff
Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE! Pelican came through and a big boxload-o-stuff arrived just now! Sweet!

I'm still gonna be stuck under a Smart car - but at least I'll know I have "fun" work pending.

RK

PS. Happy b-day to the beautiful wifey there, Hawk!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
941MXVET
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week had so many Porsche activities! This weekend neither will probably come out of the garage...

Well we're headed over to northern Cali for a craft beer festival, takeing the Lexus IS350 for the drive. It just has more room for the three of us then the 964.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installing the replacement 18"AMG wheel on my wife's Merc C350 that I got off eBay from a seller named "the Wheelership". Great seller! Bought it in NJ on Wed afternoon and received it in San Antonio this afternoon. Of course shipping was 1/3 the cost of the wheel but I'm old enough to be continually amazed by today's technology. Saw shipment progress all along the way on the web on my phone.

I just bought the car in Dec and found that the tire that kept losing air was due to the failure of a weld on a 3" long craxk in thw wheel. Ni reaponsw from the dealee yet on making good on this wheel.

Normally this would be a "buyer beware ", but they had installed new tires at a Discount Tire and they're famous for carefully inspecting tires and wheels on every job and company policy is ro not install a tire on a damaged or repaired wheel. The car dealer had to know about this damaged wheel.

P.o.'d me that rhey would place my wife in danger of a wheel failure.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:36 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F1 qualifying this morning, Hope the wife doesn't beat me again in the F1 league we have going with some friends.

Mountain bike riding later today. (yeah i know i live in the flatest region of Europe outside Flanders)

Porsche work:
Taking the battery and some trim panels off to fit a direct 12awg power supply to the battery with fuse, and tidy everything up with heat shrink covers, so the Headunit has a nice clean power supply and earth. Waxoyl-ed under the battery as it has seen better days, and will do the inside of the doors while i have the door cards off, they look as good as my 5 year old car but i might as well protect them while i have it apart.

Quick Reply: Hawk's Friday post- April 8