Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for new detailing tools for new 718?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 08:13 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Suggestions for new detailing tools for new 718?

I do not want to go crazy but I may treat myself to some new detailing tools.
I'd like some advice if you have some good ones to share.

1. Do you have a reasonable soap/foam cannon that you prefer?
2. Do you have a drying towel that works really well?
3. Do you use a blower to help dry your car? Any one you prefer?
Old 09-20-2024, 09:22 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 569 Posts

Many ways to skin this cat and there's a separate detailing forum in the Performance section of Rennlist. The real answer depends on how compulsive you are and how much you want to spend in both time and dollars.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I track my car so I don't expect to maintain perfection (it's 7 years old) but it still looks almost new to the casual observer with front PPF, a ceramic coating that gets refreshed occasionally. It would not win a concours event and I'm not the type to spend six hours detailing with Q tips every week but it still looks great.

I use two a bucket wash with a matching soap for the ceramic and generic microfiber towels from Autozone to dry. Gyeon and CarPro products are great IMO. A good wheel brush and wheel cleaning products help also.

Last edited by ldamelio; 09-20-2024 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:43 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Many ways to skin this cat and there's a separate detailing forum in the Performance section of Rennlist. The real answer depends on how compulsive you are and how much you want to spend in both time and dollars.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I track my car so I don't expect to maintain perfection (it's 7 years old) but it still looks almost new to the casual observer with front PPF, a ceramic coating that gets refreshed occasionally. It would not win a concours event and I'm not the type to spend six hours detailing with Q tips every week but it still looks great.

I use two a bucket wash with a matching soap for the ceramic and generic microfiber towels from Autozone to dry. Gyeon and CarPro products are great IMO. A good wheel brush and wheel cleaning products help also.
Thank you.

Im mostly just looking for a car dryer blower and a really good car drying towel to order online.

I was not able to find the detailing forum.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:47 AM
aclicky
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

i like and use rag company / autofiber drying towels
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 09:49 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Kram71
I was not able to find the detailing forum.
https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/
Kram71 (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 09:49 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by aclicky
i like and use rag company / autofiber drying towels
Thank you. I will look in to them today. Muddy construction road outside my house is not a great thing for a new 718 lol.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:50 AM
Kram71
Racer

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2024, 04:39 AM
MeasureTwice
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Griots products. Their Extra Large PFM Edgeless Drying Towel does a great job at streakless drying. Drape it across the surface and drag towards you.
Van914 (09-22-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 06:18 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by MeasureTwice
I use Griots products. Their Extra Large PFM Edgeless Drying Towel does a great job at streakless drying. Drape it across the surface and drag towards you.
Thanks. I will look in to that towel. Found a small blower to try as well.
Old 09-21-2024, 07:06 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Detailing is a slippery slope.

I don't use a foam cannon anymore because I wash early in the morning and don't want to use a pressure washer (due to noise, also one more thing to setup), but when I did, I liked the MTM foam cannon. I used the old version but they have a newer version. Griots Boss is great too from what I hear.
For a drying towel, agree that Griots PFM is amazing. But I try and use a drying towel as little as possible. Typically will start with drying majority of water, then finish up with a very soft microfiber and drying aid.
For a dryer, I use an Ego Blower. I have the 765, but you can get other models that work well and are less expensive. Great because it is cordless. I will likely be buying a Big Boi dryer this winter. MetroVac makes a great product too but the metal casing concerns me with it hitting the car, even with the longer hose. Just don't want to run that risk, especially if I use it in my driveway and it starts rolling. Big Boi is a plastic case. Reason I'm thinking to move to having a Big Boi dryer too is because it can navigate into tighter areas. I also have a concern of pressing the battery disconnect button on the Ego and it dropping a heavy battery on my car. The blowers are loud like a pressure washer but typically if I start washing at 6-7am, I'll be finished an hour later so can dry then and it is a bit more acceptable to do a quick dry in the driveway, then drive down the street to clean off the brakes, then come back, park in my garage, close garage door and then dry off remainder of car and it won't disturb anyone.
Kram71 (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 09:54 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Detailing is a slippery slope.

I don't use a foam cannon anymore because I wash early in the morning and don't want to use a pressure washer (due to noise, also one more thing to setup), but when I did, I liked the MTM foam cannon. I used the old version but they have a newer version. Griots Boss is great too from what I hear.
For a drying towel, agree that Griots PFM is amazing. But I try and use a drying towel as little as possible. Typically will start with drying majority of water, then finish up with a very soft microfiber and drying aid.
For a dryer, I use an Ego Blower. I have the 765, but you can get other models that work well and are less expensive. Great because it is cordless. I will likely be buying a Big Boi dryer this winter. MetroVac makes a great product too but the metal casing concerns me with it hitting the car, even with the longer hose. Just don't want to run that risk, especially if I use it in my driveway and it starts rolling. Big Boi is a plastic case. Reason I'm thinking to move to having a Big Boi dryer too is because it can navigate into tighter areas. I also have a concern of pressing the battery disconnect button on the Ego and it dropping a heavy battery on my car. The blowers are loud like a pressure washer but typically if I start washing at 6-7am, I'll be finished an hour later so can dry then and it is a bit more acceptable to do a quick dry in the driveway, then drive down the street to clean off the brakes, then come back, park in my garage, close garage door and then dry off remainder of car and it won't disturb anyone.
I have resisted buying a foam cannon because my pressure washer is a pain to set up and clean up after using. I found a small hand held Ryobi blower. I will look in to the Griots drying towel today. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2024, 12:36 PM
jskup1
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Bigboi Blowr pro +
Old 09-21-2024, 04:11 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Q1. Do you have a reasonable soap/foam cannon that you prefer?
A1. Fasmov for $14.39 on Amazon. Cheap, works perfectly and I've had it now for over four years and it still works and looks like it did on day one.

Q2. Do you have a drying towel that works really well?
A2. Costco yellow microfiber towels. Can't understand why anyone would pay more.

Q3. Do you use a blower to help dry your car? Any one you prefer?
A3. Yes, 110 Volt Leaf Blower.

FWIW, we have extremely hard water here. So much so that any in-line filter has a ridiculously short (and thus expensive) maintenance interval. I use distilled water (~$1/gallon @ Target) in a yard Garden Sprayer for the final rinse. This consumes about 1 to 2 gallons.

Old 09-21-2024, 04:16 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Q1. Do you have a reasonable soap/foam cannon that you prefer?
A1. Fasmov for $14.39 on Amazon. Cheap, works perfectly and I've had it now for over four years and it still works and looks like it did on day one.

Q2. Do you have a drying towel that works really well?
A2. Costco yellow microfiber towels. Can't understand why anyone would pay more.

Q3. Do you use a blower to help dry your car? Any one you prefer?
A3. Yes, 110 Volt Leaf Blower.

FWIW, we have extremely hard water here. So much so that any in-line filter has a ridiculously short (and thus expensive) maintenance interval. I use distilled water (~$1/gallon @ Target) in a yard Garden Sprayer for the final rinse. This consumes about 1 to 2 gallons.
Thank you.

I may pass on the Foam Cannons because its a pain to use my Pressure Washer.

I agree with you about the Kirkland Yellow Microfibers. I use them. I will continue with them but I'd like a drying towel as well.

I dp have a inexpensive electric leaf blower. Maybe a $150 cordless blower is not needed. Something for me to consider if I'm spending $50 for darn drying towel lol.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:20 AM
Van914
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Ryobi Mini Blower is Great!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for new detailing tools for new 718?