track day Suspension for 964

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default track day Suspension for 964

Hi all:

I use my car on track days and was looking at different suspension options to upgrade from my current set up, which is a HR sport kit. The weakness today is body roll and softness and specially after 4 strong laps in the track they heat up too much.

A friend of mine has offered for a good price a set of CUP coilovers which drop the height by 40 mm on my European c2...this all looks good but has told me that in order to do that i should also install the 993 evo uprights otherwise it won´t be drivable...http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm

I don't feel like going so far and was thinking on something simpler and was wondering if a kit of KW CS or Bilstein pss9 or some others could do the job as well without going through so many modifications.

Can you please give me some advise?

Thanks!!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure that you will have seen from the many posts by those of us that have switched to KWV3 how happy we are. They are extremely capable on track and can be fine tuned to the individual. The pic in my avatar will give you an idea of the roll I get on a tight (2nd gear) corner (I have standard C2 sway bars). The KW CS are apparently even firmer but less tunable which would make the car more compromised on the road.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Hi Boxsey:

Thanks for your advise.. I have seen posts refering to the kwv3 but never really read them as though these are for street use and I am looking at a track focused vehicle..I will relook at this option with interest.

Anybody has more advise on what is the ideal track focused chassis for my c2?

Bye
Sergi
Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 AM
shaun.nelson22
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I'm sure that you will have seen from the many posts by those of us that have switched to KWV3 how happy we are. They are extremely capable on track and can be fine tuned to the individual. The pic in my avatar will give you an idea of the roll I get on a tight (2nd gear) corner (I have standard C2 sway bars). The KW CS are apparently even firmer but less tunable which would make the car more compromised on the road.
thanks for that advice man
Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 193 Likes on 96 Posts

If a standard car is suited to 90% road & 10% track, the KW variant 3 would be roughly 60% road & 40% track against the KW Clubsport which would be 10% road & 90% track. In comparison I would rate the Cup package at 1% road & 99% track.

In other words, for 9 in 10 drivers the Variant 3 is good enough, but for the dedicated hardcore track fiends ( ) you should choose the Clubsport package and accept the compromise on the road. That said, if the wife comes out in the car for the odd Sunday drive, stick with the V3 if you value your ears.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^^^^
I like the way you used the %ages...very easy to understand!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
sergiDA
Instructor

Hi Colin:

Thanks for the advise, there are no sundays with wife and kids... they don't bother coming with me

By the way, many of us in Spain will be going for your 330hp conversion now that Ricardo at RBM-Valencia is learning how to set this up...we are all very excited and waiting for the first Kit to be a success to jump on it.

Bye
Old 03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
GT TWO
Racer

I love my clubsports! I think you can set them up to be good for road use or equally have them firmer for track use.

I also have Monoball front top mounts, RS ARB's and completely poly bushed also.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT TWO
I love my clubsports! I think you can set them up to be good for road use or equally have them firmer for track use.

I also have Monoball front top mounts, RS ARB's and completely poly bushed also.

Thanks, I understand you have chosen to buy the rennling camber plates instead of using the version KW CS which include the platest, why was that?

By the way very nice photo in SPA, what will you finally do with your 964 CUP? Keep and improve or change for something else? my short experience: after having owned the car for a year i was decided to sell mine and go for a 964 RS, but now and being so difficult to find a buyer for mine, the time has made me decide that the added pedrigree and resale values shouldn't bother me, i am a driver not a collector

Bye
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
redbaron33
Advanced

Originally Posted by sergiDA
Hi Colin:

By the way, many of us in Spain will be going for your 330hp

Bye

See you in Barcelona soon!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the bilstein dampers from the RSR modell with double springs and factory RSR camber plates. The dampers aren't adjustable and this is mostly a track car (I drive to the tracks). These dampers/springs are awesome. the car is like a rock and you can still drive it on the street, especially in highway speed.

Thomas
Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 PM
GT TWO
Racer

Thanks, I understand you have chosen to buy the rennling camber plates instead of using the version KW CS which include the platest, why was that?

By the way very nice photo in SPA, what will you finally do with your 964 CUP? Keep and improve or change for something else? my short experience: after having owned the car for a year i was decided to sell mine and go for a 964 RS, but now and being so difficult to find a buyer for mine, the time has made me decide that the added pedrigree and resale values shouldn't bother me, i am a driver not a collector

Bye
Hi Sergi

The KW clubsports only come with rear monoballs and not front so you will need a set for the front.

I think we are going through a very similar experience. I decided I wanted to change to another car and then after the Spa trip I realised what a great package the car is with the suspension setup and cage etc.

The way it handles,the brakes, the weight, the grip and power all combines to make a raw and visceral driving experience which is IMO just like a race car.

I also realised that I have so much more to learn from the car and playing with the setup so Im sure I will keep it.

I will lose a bit more weight and possibly go to a Motec setup but mainly adjust the suspension setup for optimum grip. I want to lower the car 5mm more and play with the suspension settings.

Bring on the next track day!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone witt experience of std r5 suspension?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
farry
6th Gear

Hi Colin:

Thanks for the advise, there are no sundays with wife and kids... they don't bother coming with me

By the way, many of us in Spain will be going for your 330hp conversion now that Ricardo at RBM-Valencia is learning how to set this up...we are all very excited and waiting for the first Kit to be a success to jump on it.

Bye
Originally Posted by redbaron33

See you in Barcelona soon!

Here other Spanish guy interested in 330hp conversion.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very happy with my Bilstein PSS 10.

Quick Reply: track day Suspension for 964