Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyres rubbing.... HELP from the LOW GUYS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tyres rubbing.... HELP from the LOW GUYS!

I'm running the car low and there was some rubbing on the front wheel arches. Took the car to Chris of 911Bodyshop and he rolled the arch lip for me - so now theres no rubbing there.

However now theres rubbing on 3 points in the wheel arch plastic covers

I'm running 18s: 8.5 Front 225/ 40 & 10 Rear 265/35.

Do people tend to adapt the the plastic wheel covers inside the arches?

Pics of ride height to come...
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Attached Images      
Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mate I cant help at the moment but i know the problem well. Worst case would bringing it up 5mm's help? am hoping to get mine resolved as well as its not a nice noise. I will let you know how i get on.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:29 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems running the height up just a bit would solve it, as mentioned. It's the inherent risk to running them too low.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Unkle
Pro

Optical illusion? Or does your wheel look closer to the front of the arch?

Sorry i can't help but maybe its just cause the arches are so full.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rubbing on full lock ? I personally wouldn't worry about it if that is the case.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
mate I cant help at the moment but i know the problem well. Worst case would bringing it up 5mm's help? am hoping to get mine resolved as well as its not a nice noise. I will let you know how i get on.
Hmmm I'm guessing I need tyres with a lower profile...
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unkle
Optical illusion? Or does your wheel look closer to the front of the arch?

Sorry i can't help but maybe its just cause the arches are so full.
I know that is what I'm wondering but that cant be, right?

Originally Posted by Talat
Rubbing on full lock ? I personally wouldn't worry about it if that is the case.
It rubs only on almost full lock with some sporty Gs...

I'm not even that low though... how do the guys running very low and 19s do it!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

I dont think you mentioned where it rubbed just "at 3 points" and "on full lock with sporty Gs".

Please advise the 3 points?

Please advise the front caster setting? RS Spec is +4deg25'.

Please advise wheel ET on your 8.5" wheel ... 8.5ET??

Please read this ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nd-photos.html

I'm assuming it is rubbing on the outside front corner of the tyre at the top corner of the front bumper. If so there are two steps required ..

(1.) It looks like your caster settings is incorrect. I could only get about 2deg but that was a big improvement and it really centered the wheel in the arch and noticeably pulled the position on the front wheel back towards the rear of the car.

(2.) Did you grind the corner at metal at the top corner of the front bumpter. I just used an angle grinder and shaved back about 5mm of metal & plastic.

If it only rubs at full lock and the rubbing is on the inside of the tyre, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Someone mentioned the "wheel arches are so full" ... as per my comment above, please confirm caster setting.

Please provide more info.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:14 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Frank, does your car have the revised steering rack stops?

These were a factory retrofit that should always be used on cars with 17 in and above wheels (factory doesnt mention anything above 17 as they were never approved)

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/7...0691geolab.pdf

Link to the TSB, also shows the mod required that SML mentions

Last edited by freedman; 03-20-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by freedman
Frank, does your car have the revised steering rack stops? These were a factory retrofit that should always be used on cars with 17 in and above wheels (factory doesnt mention anything above 17 as they were never approved)
How does the wheel diameter have any impact that may require steering rack stops? The tyres should be selected to maintain the correct tyre diameter regardless of the wheel size.

I haven't worried about the rubbing on the inside of the tyre during full lock. I never corner at fast speeds at full lock only driving into the garage. If I hear a rub, I just back-off the full-lock slightly.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sml
How does the wheel diameter have any impact that may require steering rack stops?

The tyres should be selected to maintain the correct tyre diameter regardless of the wheel size.

No idea, but Porsche obviously think theres a need
Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by sml
I dont think you mentioned where it rubbed just "at 3 points" and "on full lock with sporty Gs".

Please advise the 3 points?

Please advise the front caster setting? RS Spec is +4deg25'.

Please advise wheel ET on your 8.5" wheel ... 8.5ET??

Please read this ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nd-photos.html

I'm assuming it is rubbing on the outside front corner of the tyre at the top corner of the front bumper. If so there are two steps required ..

(1.) It looks like your caster settings is incorrect. I could only get about 2deg but that was a big improvement and it really centered the wheel in the arch and noticeably pulled the position on the front wheel back towards the rear of the car.

(2.) Did you grind the corner at metal at the top corner of the front bumpter. I just used an angle grinder and shaved back about 5mm of metal & plastic.

If it only rubs at full lock and the rubbing is on the inside of the tyre, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Someone mentioned the "wheel arches are so full" ... as per my comment above, please confirm caster setting.

Please provide more info.
Brilliant, thank you for the detailed answer... I'll take pictures of the three contact points on the plastic covers tomorrow.

Reading off the sheet:

Camber:
Left -0°25'
Right -0°24'

Castor 10°:
Left +3°58'
Right +4°02'

I can not remember the offsets, but I believe they were pretty much if not standard. They were a direct replacement. They are Veloce 3.6 replicas. I can find out tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:26 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contrary to others I think your wheel position looks fine and indicates the correct amount of caster (see SML's post above for the correct amount - that spec should be on all variants, not just the RS).

Here's a pic of the grinding of the wing/PU join that he mentions (this is advised by Porsche in a TSB).

The damage on the arch you can see above was caused by a second problem in my case which was because the wing stay (rusty bar in above pic) was bent. Once straightened the wing arch came out a few mm and stopped the contact with the tyre. Here it is after fixing:

Rubbing inside the arch against the body work is something you have to live with when running low. I had mine reset to RS + 5 mm to limit some of the rubbing but I still get some:

Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxsey911

Rubbing inside the arch against the body work is something you have to live with when running low. I had mine reset to RS + 5 mm to limit some of the rubbing but I still get some:

Boxsey you're brilliant, thats it, thats one of my contact points. The second is on the 'lump' at front of the plastic guard (if that makes sense) and the third I cant remember.

Do does this mean those guys that run 19s and incredibly low, just spend there money on tyres!!!!???

Wouldn't lower profile tyres sort my problems?

Quick Reply: Tyres rubbing.... HELP from the LOW GUYS!