Sponsored by:

964 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by advantagedent
i have a 89 964 and need more out of it i got like 7 - 10 grand what can i do i have done the basic stuff . should i turbo, supercharge stand alone i dont know
all i know is my 3rd gen rx7 would eat this car as would my 454 nova so should i sell this wonderfull car and take the money and buy a gtr or is there a way to make more power thnak you ps i would like to kepp the ac and heat iam in canada and its always cold

Can i just ask what you want the car to do? With this info you can be advised much more accurately,

1: If you would like a nice track car toy and weekend car. I would head for a great handling lightweight car like the RS (Euro one) it is a long way from a standard car. Stripping the car of weight will cost nothing and this weight alone will make it feel like its got 300hp and this will be evident on the track in lap times. Everything from all aircon, seats and soundproofing down to RS drilled discs and Magnesium 17" wheels all to reduce corner weight. Fit KW3 suspension then rolling road to see where you are and if the engine needs a rebuild, or whether you are starting from a firm foundation.

2: If you don't want a weekend toy for track use or other, and need the rear seats, aircon, large heavy wheels and soft suspension then go with advice previously stated for just improving the power. But power is nothing without control

Personally i wouldn't even touch 2 without doing the first one.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, I think we are wasting our time with this guy, the whole thing rubs me as being phony; the heavy accent and poor spelling seems to come and go and our suggestions go right over his head.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
advantagedent
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heavy accent phony what do you need a pic with me my car and todays paper.
any way i have gotten a few links and a few emails from some of you iam going to follow up on .
i dont think these cars are as fragil as some say . only had this car for a few years i hope id not like a harly all show no go
i got some links from guys running turbo kits on there cars with no problems i think iam going to look in that way but if any 1 has more ideas iam in as long as those glass pistons dont brake.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Honestly, I think we are wasting our time with this guy, the whole thing rubs me as being phony; the heavy accent and poor spelling seems to come and go and our suggestions go right over his head.

He is legit. I was just speaking to him over the phone. Great guy and genuinly wants to get more ponies. I think I have pointed him in the right direction.

I think he appreciates everyone suggestions but no one was pointing him in the direction he wants to go.

All i ever here is, chip, headers, motec, expensive, bypass blah blah blah. (Not bashing, he is looking for someone who actually has a good reliable cost effective setup)

I am running a stage 1 protomotive turbo setup. You want safe horsepower, give me a call. Bang for the buck, this is the way to go.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Unkle
Can i just ask what you want the car to do? With this info you can be advised much more accurately,

1: If you would like a nice track car toy and weekend car. I would head for a great handling lightweight car like the RS (Euro one) it is a long way from a standard car. Stripping the car of weight will cost nothing and this weight alone will make it feel like its got 300hp and this will be evident on the track in lap times. Everything from all aircon, seats and soundproofing down to RS drilled discs and Magnesium 17" wheels all to reduce corner weight. Fit KW3 suspension then rolling road to see where you are and if the engine needs a rebuild, or whether you are starting from a firm foundation.

2: If you don't want a weekend toy for track use or other, and need the rear seats, aircon, large heavy wheels and soft suspension then go with advice previously stated for just improving the power. But power is nothing without control

Personally i wouldn't even touch 2 without doing the first one.
great suggestion
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Voodoo964
Intermediate

Jeff,I emailed these guys a while back looking for ball park figures but didn't get a reply. What hp you up to? At what cost(roughly)
Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM
parsonii
Racer

love your car but you're in the wrong car for what you want. the best bang for your buck in the porsche world is a 996tt. sell your car and pick up a 996tt and mod it with some billet k16 turbos, switzer exhaust and tune. i bought mine for 35k and installed the switzer spi L2 package for 6k. the car makes 472 at the wheel on a mustang dyno (ummmmm not a dynojet). besides the car is a 4 wheel drive and it would be perfect for the canadian weather.

here it is cleaned up:

Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I disagree as it totally depends on your situation. If you own a 964 out right and want to put 10,000 into it that would be a lot less then selling a car that looks totally sorted out for, I don't know 20,000 if your lucky and buying someone else s problems for another 15,000 and then adding $6,000 ++ especially if you like the looks of a 964. On the other hand the 996 is a much newer car and ours are getting old and soooo slow. By the way, your 996 looks awesome. But so does the one posted by advantagedent.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 AM
parsonii
Racer

Originally Posted by psiegel
I guess I disagree as it totally depends on your situation. If you own a 964 out right and want to put 10,000 into it that would be a lot less then selling a car that looks totally sorted out for, I don't know 20,000 if your lucky and buying someone else s problems for another 15,000 and then adding $6,000 ++ especially if you like the looks of a 964. On the other hand the 996 is a much newer car and ours are getting old and soooo slow. By the way, your 996 looks awesome. But so does the one posted by advantagedent.
no arguments there .... looooove the look of the op's car.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 AM
sturm
Racer

Buy the damn supercharger and be done with it already!!

And be sure to do before and after dyno runs! We'll love you for it
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
advantagedent
Intermediate

iam going with the turbo kit promotive under 10000 350 hp thats with cihp and injectors with stock motor
i will dyno so we can see . and i love the look of the old cars 996 are nice but price ishigh up hear 35000 plus and then most likely need full service and stuff my car is ready i just might need a clutch
well we will see but i will get numbers price time for install pics and dyno numbers (and if it blows up i will take pics of that as well)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Voodoo964
Jeff,I emailed these guys a while back looking for ball park figures but didn't get a reply. What hp you up to? At what cost(roughly)
Thanks
I have no affiliation with protomotive other than being happy with his product and the performance.

Todd may be slow to respond, but he is super busy. He is a world of knowledge and he knows how to tune. He will follow through with you till the end. I would suggest trying to get a hold of him on the phone instead of email. This way you can ask him everything you need to know.

I had mine dyno tuned this year 368hp at the crank. I think I can squeeze a little more out of it. Mine is non intercooled. If you get the intercooler you can run 400hp+ to the crank. $3500.00 for the intercooler was not worth it to me. You would also need a proper wing, paint etc. Was not worth the extra $$$ for the extra HP.

This can all be done for under $10k including 964t sachs clutch and some maintenance as long as you do the install yourself. I paid a 3rd party company to do the work for me as I just do not have time, I am way to busy with my company. The kit is truely a plug and play system. After going through this process, the only modification you need is to your left side tin. You will also need to send him your lower drivers side valve cover for a small modification for the oil drain. I sent him my new Hargett valve covers and had them shipped to Canada with the rest of the system. I am running the 996tt clutch in my car. Only reason i did this was to be ready for stage 2 at some point. You can run stock clutch with no problem. For the extra $550.00 i would upgrade to a 964t clutch, machine the flywheel and do the RMS at the same time.

There is only 1 downfall to this system and that is where to mount the intake. You can mount it behind the drivers side wheel. You will need to create your own guard, you can mount on the opposite side of the motor where the intake system is and you will need to run a long pipe over to that side. 3rd option is to remove the blower motor and add the carbon fibre piece from rennline. I will be doing this in the spring time.

If anyone is seriously interested, i think I can give you some tips, send me a PM and I will give you a call and discuss my experience.

Attachment 509403
Attachment 509404
Attachment 509405

Jeff

Last edited by R6XTERRA; 05-13-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'R6XTERRA' - I like what you've done with the 964 motor. I personally never knew it was available and for under US$10K nit bad at all. This answers the OP question perfectly.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Sam, thanks so much. I struggled finding information for a reputable turbo builder that would not break the bank and especially speaking to people with real world experience. I think we will be seeing a lot more folks wanting to go this route.

The best part of this kit is that its .5bar and runs low psi 7.25 which does not harm the stock motor. Operating temps are no different than before. Maybe a tiny bit hotter when you run it hard.

This is a very basic kit, you can add so much more such as piggy back, boost controller, intercooler etc. This kit does NOT come with a boost guage, I did not care as I am thinking of doing the clock combination with boost, afr etc. I will be doing this before spring. I was not too worried especially since I was only able to drive it for a few weeks before it had to go into storage.

Todd likes to use the stock 993 injectors and has had success. My car did not like them, every car is different. I recommend minimum 32lb injectors and if you are thinking of stage 2 at some point, go with the 36lb. I had the 36lbs installed.

Quick Reply: 964 upgrade