Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Amazon" Restoration-Lightweight C4- 2Pack paint soon;-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know why is it that the velvet piece around the door frame is pot riveted? And not stick down like all the door rubbers.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default been there done that!

Norm,

Nice, the glue removal is like the best free trip you can get!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember doing mine like yesterday,it was summer I used thinners and plastic scrapers and the weather was hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I hope you paint the car on the inside as you have gone too far just to stick a rs carpet set over what you have done.
Nice to see you having fun,I was supposed to be stripping the targa for a repaint but I am leaving for a while as I might be off loading a lot of my cars.
(only to buy one dearer one)eight cars is getting out of hand now.
I fancy a 993 turbo but I won't be selling my 964 turbo or sc.

Gaz, currently bought another 4x4 because it's going to snow(honest)
Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nski
I would like to know why is it that the velvet piece around the door frame is pot riveted? And not stick down like all the door rubbers.
On the earlier cars they were held on by tiny little countersunk screws with little cup washers.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

I assume because it is a heavier duty seal. I cannot imagine glue holding that seal in place for 10+ years - particularly because the seal gets squashed sideways so there would be twisting/tension on the seal. I don't think the glue would hold.

The chunky door seal that runs around the complete door is just compressed into place as the door closes. During my searches, some guys didn't even bother to glue the main door seal.

But if you are replacing the Upper Velvet Door Trim, then here is a few thoughts ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...door-seal.html
Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Nski, (or anyone else who has done it),

Do you remember how thick the sound insulation was on the floor, the back panel, etc? What types of materials were where, foam, etc? The black foam(?) underneath the floor carpet, how thick was that?

Thanks...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

[/IMG]
All 964's have this secondary door wind seal pop-riveted in place. Earlier 911's have the more familiar felt strip screwed on & later 993's have the wind seal incorporated into the door frame (which is also flush fit with the 993 quarter glass).
Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NineMeister
All 964's have this secondary door wind seal pop-riveted in place. Earlier 911's have the more familiar felt strip screwed on & later 993's have the wind seal incorporated into the door frame (which is also flush fit with the 993 quarter glass).
Colin, on your white 964 RS you built, did you put the original velvet wind seal back when you built back. or did you stick them down?

The question is why did they pot rivet the seal?

Lastly, can the holes be filled and the seal to be stuck down? or as you said on the 993s be screwed on?

As SML said possibly they were designed to be pot riveted to last, or was it because the glue would'nt hold it?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Today, I can across the rear fuse box, which REFUSED to open due to some absolute F**N screw, plastic face bolthead that turned but didnt unscrew. One out of 3 came out, and the rest, well the box lid is history!

IS THIS A COMMON BLOODY FAULT TOO?

Not great when your defeated by the first job unclipping, unbolting, unscrewing everything before dropping the engine!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

As SML said possibly they were designed to be pot riveted to last, or was it because the glue would'nt hold it?
They are a thick & heavy seal that gets 'crushed' & squeezed sideways by the door everytime you open & close. Add to that, the glue needs to be stuck on a glossy painted surface, add in some rain & summer heat ... so I can't imagine that that they could be glued to last more than a few months.

What are your concerns with using rivets as per the Porsche design? After a few hours of pain, my DIY job turned out fine.

The rivets are aluminium so there is little weight.
The rivets removed had no corrosion after 18 yrs.
Rivets and rivet guns are cheap.
The install process is not too difficult.

BTW .. to give you a feel about the 'heavy duty' seal .... the side that fixes to the car is actually a thin metal strip covered in rubber.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today, I can across the rear fuse box, which REFUSED to open due to some absolute F**N screw, plastic face bolthead that turned but didnt unscrew. One out of 3 came out, and the rest, well the box lid is history!

IS THIS A COMMON BLOODY FAULT TOO?

Not great when your defeated by the first job unclipping, unbolting, unscrewing everything before dropping the engine!!!!
Don't think it is. Mine just require undoing a couple of turns each and the lid just pulls off. The screws stay in the lid - they don't have to be completely removed. Sounds like someone has messed yours up somehow!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Don't think it is. Mine just require undoing a couple of turns each and the lid just pulls off. The screws stay in the lid - they don't have to be completely removed. Sounds like someone has messed yours up somehow!
Steve, tell me about it, and the rest!

I was so frustrated, so I spliced the lid slightly to give the screw a bit of tension to unscrew, even removed the head of the plastic screwbolt and tried turning the metal stalk orf the screw, did'nt work!

Neil, my partner cut the lid of the box just to get the bloody lid off! Had to be done at the moment, as the electric wiring needed to be unplugged.

huh!

P.s just did a quick search.......am glad am not the only looney! Who as as you say messed theirs up too!
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...box-panel.html
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sml
They are a thick & heavy seal that gets 'crushed' & squeezed sideways by the door everytime you open & close. Add to that, the glue needs to be stuck on a glossy painted surface, add in some rain & summer heat ... so I can't imagine that that they could be glued to last more than a few months.

What are your concerns with using rivets as per the Porsche design? After a few hours of pain, my DIY job turned out fine.

The rivets are aluminium so there is little weight.
The rivets removed had no corrosion after 18 yrs.
Rivets and rivet guns are cheap.
The install process is not too difficult.

BTW .. to give you a feel about the 'heavy duty' seal .... the side that fixes to the car is actually a thin metal strip covered in rubber.
True! guess its a few hours of pain DIY then when we build it back
Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, tell me about it, and the rest!

P.s just did a quick search.......am glad am not the only looney! Who as as you say messed theirs up too!
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...box-panel.html
There's a good clue in that thread which might indicate that maybe someone overtightened them in the past. When you get a new one, all that is needed is finger tight plus a quarter of a turn. Some people see a hex bolt head and think they have to go at it with a socket until it's good and tight....that's not the case here.

Keep up the good work
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
There's a good clue in that thread which might indicate that maybe someone overtightened them in the past. When you get a new one, all that is needed is finger tight plus a quarter of a turn. Some people see a hex bolt head and think they have to go at it with a socket until it's good and tight....that's not the case here.

Keep up the good work
Will post some pics of the hard work when I get home from work

Your very right Steve, finger tight is enough! I dont know if its because everything has'nt been off, or boltheads have rotten away. EVERYTHING seems to be bloody tight! huh! Its a no win battle most days!

I really cant wait to build her backup with all new bolts, and screws, and either new or powercoated parts. RUST and MUD I really hate!

Thats all I have to say! Thanks

P.s and YES, me and Neil have muscles
Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Don't lose the faith Norm. Some of the things that I've had to battle with on the car makes me want to give up. BUT I'LL NEVER LET IT BEAT ME!!!!

Quick Reply: Project "Amazon" Restoration-Lightweight C4- 2Pack paint soon;-)