Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NaplesBound
This is an amazing build. Soo much attenion to detail. You really are the nine meister. This is giving me inspiration to continue my build. I'm still just grinding everything away.

Quick question (maybe I missed it). But what was done with the undercoating on the inside and the bottom of the car? I debating on cleaning the bottom of mine off but don't know what to recover it with. Thanks.

Best of luck.

Chris
Thanks Chris, good to know that the work is inspiring you to do similar. I can't take the credit so far though, Marc and the boys in 9m Panelcraft are the ones that done all the hard graft to date. My time is coming though as I'm now planning the Motec PDM & M800 installation and will be making the entire wiring loom myself....

The car is going to spend all of its time on track, therefore we're applying nothing more than a nominal spray sealer coating on the underpanels followed by a full easy-clean gloss finish in body colour.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shaun Leahy
Outstanding eye for detail and quality into each part show the love and attention at 9m. I am sure many like me cannot wait to see (and maybe hear online?) the final product with the race engine in that great 74 shape.

Seems to have been going a while, when will delivery date be?
The finish date was originally scheduled as this month which is obviously not going to happen, however as soon as I can get firm delivery dates for the remaining engine components I should be able to produce a meaningful schedule which we then do our utmost to achieve. There are many more details to cover yet, so keep watching for updates as I am sure it will be of interest.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Some more progress this and last week with the bodyshell and panels now fully primered; the back of the carbon panels were masked off from paint.
Attached Images      
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The shell and panels were then given a light dusty guide coat of satin black over the blue which is then rubbed off with wet & dry until the panel is blue again; this way any imperfections in the panels are easily seen and levelled with the abrasive paper. In the second photo you can just make out the guide coat on the front bumper in the foreground of the shot. Dry flatting primer is a lot of work at any time, so to speed up the job we've had Phil, Leigh and Owen all working on it over the last two days. At close of play tonight we had everything pretty much ready for paint, save a good cleaning.
Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh my!!!

I have a funny tingly feeling, must take shower....
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Stunning picture! Artist at work. Thanks Colin.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2011, 12:07 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default details details!!!!

Such attention to detail. A mark of such high quality craftsmanship! Very cool thread.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin, thanks for the quick response. My car will see some occasional street use, so Im still up in the air about what to do on the underside of the car. I look forward to seeing all the motor updates in the coming days and weeks. Best of luck.

Chris
Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Hey Colin. Any updates? I'm a very un patient person. Lol. I can't get enough.

Chris

On a side note, I sent you a pM as well. Take care
Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
The Old Dutch
Advanced

Hi Colin, are you going to award us with some progress photos this weekend? It has been a long wait so far.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for being patient boys, I know it has been a while. Marc was not 100% happy with the finish and blend of the roof and rear quarters but could not get on the case due to having to take time out to assist on a major building project at home, but the good news is that he's been back on the job today. The photos show the car masked off in the booth waiting on the last coat of blue primer which was applied tonight.

Next job is to remove the masking and wet flat the whole car ready for basecoat and laquer.
Attached Images     
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Colin... I needed those photos! Glad ou guys are making progress!

When is the motor going to get started?

Chris
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Whilst the bodywork is ongoing, attention is also being focussed onto the GT3 gearbox. To get this box to fit we have to alter the angle of approack of the selector cable actuation on the RHS of the box, but to do this we have to strip the box first. Whilst the box was in pieces we had the cases tumble polished to remove the factory tarnish of the aluminium.

The photos show Mark at work temporarily re-assembling the box to position the selector mechanism before we can reset the angles for the cables.
Attached Images     
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The engine is coming soon. We've got 95% of the parts sorted but are waiting on the new 9m connecting rods to hang the 9m 103mm pistons off the GT3 crankshaft. As soon as the rods land we can begin to make progress.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Out of interest, here are the rear panels with a light guide coat of black over the blue primer; the guide coat is used to show any low spots when flatting off the panel with a sanding block. It was after this process that Marc noted the issues with the blends and decided to rework the joints.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform