Sponsored by:

Water on passenger side floor - help - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
kmskier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water on passenger side floor - help - UPDATE

I have read through many of the previous posts on this topic to no avail...

For starters, 1991 targa. Top recently completely restored and tight as a drum. Pulled all soundproofing and dried carpet completely. After a recent rainstorm, water accumulated in passenger floor compartment and also made carpet along rear passenger floor near the door wet. I cannot identify the source. I tried running a hose over the car and noticed only a trickle of water coming into front passenger compartment where noted in picture. I also pulled back the original tape covering two access holes in the channel that runs along the front passenger compartment and found water. While running the hose, i also checked under the car and noticed a trickle coming from under the car in what appeared to be the area roughly around the center console towards the passenger side approximately in the area of the backrest. Not sure if this was running from inside the car or along a channel under the car.

Previous posts mentioned clearing the drain tubes - does anyone have a pic on the 964 showing start/end on where to access? Any thoughts on what is causing this? This is the final frontier before replacing soundproofing and (hopefully) completing the interior refurb.

Thanks!!
Keith
Attached Images  

Last edited by kmskier; 04-09-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested! KKeep us up to date. What sound proofing will you put?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Check your fresh air intake servos also. Mine were partially unplugged from the wiring harness and therefore not working. It caused the air intake off the bonnet to stay open, and when driving in a severe rainstorm, the whole front footwell compartment filled with water. Mine was coming in off the firewall though, and would run down into the footwell when turning.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM
kmskier
Track Day

Originally Posted by doruiacovescu
Very interested! KKeep us up to date. What sound proofing will you put?
So far Dynamat seems to be the recommendation topping the list. If I go that way I will need to build it up in certain areas as it only comes in 1/2" max thickness. Still seeking other suggestions.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I had water getting into my car when I bought it - turned out to be through the doors. The plastic sheeting that should be behind the interior door panel was cut to shreds and was letting water through. Might be worth checking.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Previous posts mentioned clearing the drain tubes - does anyone have a pic on the 964 showing start/end on where to access?
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ater-vent.html
Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bonnet seal?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 PM
kmskier
Track Day

Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Hawk-checked the air intake servos...they were clear, but I potentially did have some water get in during a really heavy storm a few weeks ago. It rained heavy last night and no problem.

Rob-thanks for the link...helped me to get to the right place to check.

Dave-checked the door...thankfully it was dry.

Russ-checked the seals. There is one that needs to be replaced eventually but since the targa's complete overhaul, the fit is so tight that no water is getting in from there.

Now for the punchline...

After the problem I had with my alarm getting fried and replacing it, I had to push the car onto a slight decline in order to get one of my other cars close enough to jump the battery (see recent post 'another bad day for batteries'). When I finally got the engine running and parked on level ground, the water in the channels was gone. Hmmmm!

Early theory is that the water was left over from when I pulled the insulation. After the heavy rain last night there was no water in the passenger compartment.

I am thinking about how to replace the insulation and considering mounting it to the underside of a sheet of masonite or 1/4" plywood instead of directly to the floor. This will allow me to pull the whole piece for observation without having to rip out the insulation and likely without having it get wet in the event that little dribbles of water make its way in again. Any thoughts on the theory are appreciated. I will post after I replace the interior and see how it goes.

Thanks again to all!

Quick Reply: Water on passenger side floor - help - UPDATE