Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Widebody conversion 964 to 965 - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Widebody conversion 964 to 965 - Help!!

Hello everyone,

I haven't been frequenting the forums in the last year or so. Actually I was going to sell my 91 c2 cab 5speed and get something else. I wanted more HP and was thinking of going the viper route.

Well I came to my senses and finally my long awaited dream is coming into fruition.

So a great company in Toronto called Custom coaches who do full widebody conversions will be working on my car and fully documenting all the work.

I just ordered a stage 1 turbo kit which will be installed in about 2 months (protomotive). (i took his 964 out and it was absolutely sick fast) In fact he says its just as quick as the Viper.

I ordered my lowering kit, Koni struts and H&R sport kit as well which should arrive in a week or so.

I will be installing 19" wheels as well 12" on the rears (yes they work) 6" lip

Custom Coaches will be doing a 965 widebody conversion, carpet kit and new seats. My car is in almost perfect condition with about 46k miles on the odo as we speak. They will be documenting everything from start to finish. There work is top notch to say the least. And there paint work is flawless.

I have a few questions and need some help from the experts. I will need to obviously purchase the widebody kit and was wondering the best route to go.

Do i purchase full front fenders or should I get them to apply the fender flares?

I am will be in need of the front bumper, side skirts etc.

Where would you start looking? I am leary about most places as I want this to be as perfect as possible and as close to a factory conversion as possible.

Thanks so much
Jeff
Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just sell the car and buy a 965? Will probably be cheaper and won't hurt resale. Otherwise I would recommend getting full replacement steel fenders, proper 18" wheels, bigger brakes, etc. The one advantage you'll have starting with the narrow body is the narrow rear trailing arms, which will allow you to run wider wheels/tires than the factory 965.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I agree with you. My reasoning is that I want a widebody cabriolet. Another reason would be that I will be hard pressed to find a perfect 965 and if so It would be super close in price by the time I pay $$ conversion etc.

I have a prefect unmolested car to start with which I would take a huge hit on and it would just not be worth it. I have went back and forth over this so many times. I already pulled the trigger on the turbo kit, so i am waste deep already.

I will be upgrading the brakes as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ah, didn't see that it was a cab. Sounds like a fun project, but extremely labor intensive. You could always find an America Roadster and throw a turbo on it At least that would save the metalwork hassle. Just a thought.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

While we all love turning what wasn't what we want into what we think we want, what's the percentage of those that have a happy ending unless you're doing it yourself? I've done probably 25 torsion bar cars into RS look or widebodies (RSRs, 930s w/ and w/o slopenose) in the '80's and '90's. Maybe 2 or 3 came out "factory quality"? Why? Either impatient owners or guys who just did not understand how much effort goes into fitting everything. I hope you give the bodyshop an open-ended checkbook, and fully understand if the cost estimate ends up being a small percentage of what was originally quoted.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Voodoo964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a link to the turbo kit?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

i did a lot of checking on this issue (prior to purchasing a WTL cab aka Amer.Roadster), and not sure of the prices you are getting....but generally i could not come to grips with the economics.
additionally this will be a clone you are making, accordingly imo consider the very strong possibility that the value of not only what you start with may be diminished and for certain your end value will be nowhere close to your investment (even if it comes out well...and there remains always the possibility it will come out less than "good") anyway there are lots of posts on this forum concerning widebody conversions, like here

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-widebody.html

good luck with the project
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by race911
While we all love turning what wasn't what we want into what we think we want, what's the percentage of those that have a happy ending unless you're doing it yourself? I've done probably 25 torsion bar cars into RS look or widebodies (RSRs, 930s w/ and w/o slopenose) in the '80's and '90's. Maybe 2 or 3 came out "factory quality"? Why? Either impatient owners or guys who just did not understand how much effort goes into fitting everything. I hope you give the bodyshop an open-ended checkbook, and fully understand if the cost estimate ends up being a small percentage of what was originally quoted.
I have seen the work these guys do and its spectacular. The price goes along side and I do undstand. Money is not the issue.

I always wanted a cab widebody. I want a car that looks flawless, I want to fit modern wheels and I wanted a few extra horses.

I started out with the best example I could find with no stories so I can build it the way I want too. I am sure we all have these dreams. LOL

I am by no means getting a rottiserie however every body panel, interior pieces, rubbers etc will be removed from the car. I am starting out with a Black base so I can choose the colour as well. "This is the most important thing, the colour".

I do not want to use aftermarket kits (such as firberglass), thus I am trying to figure out where I can get the correct steel flares and fenders along with the proper urethane bumpers unless some can show me a really good alterative?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:16 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Voodoo964
Do you have a link to the turbo kit?

www.protomotive.com/
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

correct steel panels I suppose would be oem.....this post may give you more info particularly the inputs from "adrian" & JW in respect to getting close to factory.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...wide-body.html

the pro shop you are using - have their conversions been glass or steel?

wonderful project, looking fwd to seeing the pics.

Last edited by raspberryroadster; 03-23-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spell error
Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input, I did get your PM. Colour is so important. I am debating Slate grey, Keeping it black or going white. Black is my last choice.

They have done most types of work (steel, glass and eurethane). I am not even sure how many conversions they have done....but its quite a few. They have about five cars in shop getting stage 2 turbos from protomotive with full widebody conversions. They have a few outside standing by to get done as well. I have know them for about six years, great guys and they are very honest hard working.

They will create whatever you want, strosek kits, 965 conversions, 993 conversions etc.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

very exciting project....and altho' i think there are better options creating your special turbo'd WTL will be an exciting project and so looking forward to seeing progress.
...will this be all at once, or do the turbo/suspension now and then consider WTL body for winter project.
your car looks great and with the turbo/slammed look and new wheels it may be already too good!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not do something like this?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I understand^^^^ totaly. Its hard to swallow the cost but its what I want. I have contemplated, turbo 996, viper etc. I just love the widebody 965 too much.

So the turbo will be installed in 2 months. Suspension in the next few weeks. The widebody will be a winter event. I will be able to go and check the progress over the winter and it will allow me to do any of the small things i want to get done.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by axl911
Why not do something like this?

absolutely cool ^^^^ still not exactly what I envision.

Quick Reply: Widebody conversion 964 to 965 - Help!!