Widebody conversion 964 to 965 - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axl911
Why not do something like this?

gotta appreciate personal wish list, and turbo'd 964 cab would be outstanding (with a wing).....

but axl911 i tend to agree..... boy racer/track style widebodies are great

Old 03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is absolutley sick as well ^^^^^
Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 965 rear quarter panels and the rear bumper ends, front bumper cover, and the rocker panels and shark fin available used if indeed you decide to build your dream car. I also build wide 18" wheels to fit the widebody cars. Jim
jdorociak@gmail.com
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing as always Jim, those are sick wheels. To the O.P., get those wheels and don't think about it. 19" wheels are not meant for 964 and look wrong in any angle.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
I do not want to use aftermarket kits (such as firberglass), thus I am trying to figure out where I can get the correct steel flares and fenders along with the proper urethane bumpers unless some can show me a really good alterative?

Try FVD: http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-...urbo-look.html

[no affiliation]
Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
if you want factory look / without fibreglass you are likely dealing with OEM from porsche or custom fabrication as outline in prior posting (you have the link)

extract........
".....hey can be done right. The PO of my car wanted a normally aspirated, wide body & spent $ 14k 10 years ago to get it. All Porsche parts & I have the receipts from the job. The body work was $ 7k of the $ 14k. I would expect that the same job now would easily be over $ 20k total. The only non-factory part of the conversion is that they did butt weld the rear flares like the early 930 turbos. As Adrian said, the 965 widebody cars had proper stamped rear quarters with the flares unlike the early 930 cars which were cut & had the flares butt welded on at the factory. I had a 930 previously & I wanted a non-turbo, 2 wheel drive, widebody 964. That's why I bought my car. I knew I would probably never find another one as nice especially since it only had 34k miles on it in '00 when I bought it. Now that it's supercharged, I can't imagine ever selling it. Faster then a new TT with the looks of a 965 is pretty hard to beat. Oh, and I found it right here in the good 'ol Rennlist c....." END

AND if you want to see the type of build situation above rennlister is describing
you might want to have a look at this ongoing build of a 993 widebody speedster.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...in-detail.html

fibreglass.... is not quality- personal view (and you have said you want as close to factory as possible), but if you want to be less than bigtime (say $20-30k)it is your only option.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Jeff ,

These types of conversions/projects are fun and of course not for the faint of heart/wallet. I have friend that's doing/having the same type of conversion done as we speak. He's only doing the widebody conversion to his cab at this point. The engine work may come down the road.. if he needs it.

For your front fenders and both bumpers I would recommend factory take-offs if you can find them. In a pinch, you can use a right fender from an earlier Carrera, and the left from a 965 as the gas door area is slightly different on the 964/965 cars. Or, since you’ll be welding the rear flares on anyway, you can opt to go this route on the front as well in the event you can’t locate the proper fenders. Again, rear flares will need to be welded on and keep in mind the difference in torsion bar openings on earlier (89 & earlier flares) as opposed to those of the 964 based cars. Oh, and you should also be able to find a set of used rocker covers as well.. I had a couple of sets awhile back. The friend I spoke of took one set and I sold the others.

Everyone always speaks about re-sell, is that what you’re planning? The newest 964 cab is 16yrs old and I don’t think they were exactly rare.. unless it was a “last year” production model and/or super low mile minty example .. I say go for it an enjoy!

As far as the engine mods.. Protomotive is an excellent choice as they do great work. For me however, I’ve always thought that high-hp open top cars were a bad mix.

P-
Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will be searching around for original panels etc. I have a few leads as we speak. I am open to used parts (they will be new again) I will be doing the butt weld on the rear and factory parts for the remainder. This car will be a keeper. I just want to document it so if i ever decide to sell it in the future for whatever reason, everyone knows it was not a bastardized project.

I am glad for all the feed back from everyone. thanks so much!!!!

Any leads on new or used parts are a huge help.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will be searching around for original panels etc. I have a few leads as we speak. I am open to used parts (they will be new again) I will be doing the butt weld on the rear and factory parts for the remainder. This car will be a keeper. I just want to document it so if i ever decide to sell it in the future for whatever reason, everyone knows it was not a bastardized project.

I am glad for all the feed back from everyone. thanks so much!!!!

Any leads on new or used parts are a huge help.
you can track the porsche chop shops, like here with a full body shell on offer
http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/875231030

or search out a wreck/salvage title and part out what you do not need, keep your eye on Pelican forums - porsche for sale section as "rollers" or part outs come available regularly. someone smarter than i can correct me, but 930's will give you the flares you need.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm kinda surprised at some people telling you basically not to do the bodywork. It doesnt cost that much. We have done @ 4-5 widebody kits so far this year alone and hundreds over the years at the shop and everybody sure seems happy with them. I've done 4 of my own cars.. I understand the desire. There is nothing like a fat bodied look! And it's far easier on a 964 than the previous years. Follow your heart...
Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 AM
YearOne
Racer

Is that a one off or a kit?! Amazing!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
Is that a one off or a kit?! Amazing!
I really like this one but the duck tail is totally wrong. Put on a GT2 wing and BBS Le Mans wheels, and paint it white....that would be a car!

Thomas
Old 06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

your car is going to be nice... turbo cab porsche never built it!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

OMFG I love it!

R6XTERRA - might as well make it a WB Speedster Turbo!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I am still waiting for the turbo to be done. They are still working on it as we speak. I hope it looks real pretty. Expecting to get it back in a week or so. I will have tons of pics to post soon.

The speedster look would be sweet... Between the turbo, widebody wheels and suspension.....It will be roughly 55k without what I paid for the car, that would probably be another 20k to get all the speedster body parts, windows, cab top etc.

Quick Reply: Widebody conversion 964 to 965 - Help!!