Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Flywheel Damaged in Shipping - 3 times!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
dehavens
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight Flywheel Damaged in Shipping - 3 times!?

So, the Dual Mass flywheel on my 964 recently broke and I decided to replace it with a RS single mass flywheel setup. I found a list of needed parts and started to order what I needed. I found a guy (Porsche shop) on ebay selling a slightly used flywheel, negotiated a price, and bought it. I purchased the rest of the needed parts from pellicanparts.

Well, I was feeling good that I saved some money and excited that I would have the car back on the road soon until I received the flywheel. It was damaged and it looked like it had happened in shipping. Below are some pics...

So, I contact the people I bought it from and they say "no problem, we will make a claim with fedex, charge you the difference for a new one since we don't have another used flywheel, and ship it out right away." Well, I was kinda bummed because this was going delay getting the car back together but I figured **** happens and at least they were being reasonable about this. Until I received the new flywheel... it was also damaged, not as bad as the first but not usable. Check it out...

Again, I email the guy, send him pictures, and call him. He said that he ships stuff all over the place and never has a problem and can't believe this has happened again. He apologizes and proposes that we make another claim with fedex and he will ship me out a third flywheel right away. I ask that he please inspect the flywheel closely before sending it, take pictures of it, and please pack it very well with a lot of bubble wrap. He agrees, sends me pictures of a perfect looking flywheel and the flywheel packed in four boxes with bubble wrap in between each one. After looking at the pictures I figure there is no way this could get damaged in shipping. Well, I received the third flywheel today and guess what... it is damaged! not as bad as the first or second flywheel but still damaged. It is hard to see with these pics but there is a section of timing marks that are flattened and some stress cracks on the edge. check this out...

Again, I contact this guy and tell him it is again damaged. He seems to be as upset as I was and says he will be unable to send me another as there is nothing he could do. He says he will issue a call tag to have this flywheel picked up and refund my money. I agreed that this would be the best course of action, followed up our phone conversation with the pictures of the damage, and a request for refund via email. I am now waiting for the refund. I paid via PayPal.

I just ordered a fourth flywheel from Sunset Porsche.

Can you believe this? Has anyone had any issues with shipping these flywheels? Are they known to damage easily? Is this guy trying to scam fedex or something?

I will keep this guys name withheld for now... I think he may be a Rennlist sponsor or used to be.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....agree you should be seriously pissed off & what is the issue in publishing their name - if he has a defensible issue & is a member he can can chime in......
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those FeEx handlers mus just drop those boxes from off the top of the truck. Should have marked the box "FRAGILE GLASS PACKED INSIDE, HANDLE WITH CARE"

Then the flywheel would have been really bent up !
Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Work with Sunset. That should have been your first and final.
They are honest. Bought my RS clutch/flywheel from them.
And much more. They will put you straight.
They're the best.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

How can this be?! The flywheel is a HARD piece of metal! Really strange....

Thomas
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Something does sound off. The package would be destroyed before that level of damage could occur on the flywheel.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did they take the first one and try to beat the dent out and sent it back to you?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM
ian89C4
Pro

Something sounds fishy about this. I don't think just dropping a package from shoulder hight would do that, and the box would be really messed up. I think you should post his name so that no one else buys from him, or at least can make a more informed decision. I know I am on ebay all the time looking for gently used or cheaper stuff.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:53 PM
dehavens
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimq
Did they take the first one and try to beat the dent out and sent it back to you?
No, the first flywheel was used and picked up by fedex the next day. The second flywheel looked brand new and is still waiting for pickup. The third flywheel came while I still had the second flywheel.

To be fair this guy has sent me three flywheels while I only paid for one. While I suppose he intends to make claims with Fedex. If he refunds my money I wont really be out anything other than a bunch of wasted time.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You didn't happen to run over the FedEx guy's dog recently, didja?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The seller may have a bad batch of damaged flywheels that he can now make a claim agains Fed Ex for. Sounds suspicious to me.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
The seller may have a bad batch of damaged flywheels that he can now make a claim agains Fed Ex for. Sounds suspicious to me.
This is exactly what I am thinking.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the FedEx scam.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
How can this be?! The flywheel is a HARD piece of metal! Really strange....

Thomas
Well sir,...not really,.....

The trigger wheel & flywheel is relatively soft and easily damaged if not packed properly. I've shipped a LOT of these all over the world and learned how to make them survive the trip.

No shipping company in my experience pays a damage claim if the contents are not protected against a hard fall so its imperative that fragile components are packed properly by the shipper.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 PM
dehavens
Advanced

The last flywheel he shipped was packed in 4 boxes and each one had bubble wrap around it. Even the outside of the last box had bubble wrap around it. This thing was packed to where it could have been dropped off a 2 story building and not be damaged. The outside of the box was not damaged nor were any of the interior boxes. In my opinion, it was damaged before they packed it and sent it to me.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Flywheel Damaged in Shipping - 3 times!?