Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m restoration of "Kermit" (1990 Championship winning 964 Trophy Cup)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister

And for those who were there, I'd rather not comment on Marc's drive, thank you very much.
Are you two speaking again yet?

It was great to see the car in the flesh
Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Saw your car there Steve, looking as good as ever.

Yes, Me and Marc are talking, but that does not mean that I have to believe what he's saying.....
Old 03-06-2011, 06:39 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPP
The car is simply stunning, Colin, and that seems to me to be a small list of repairs considering Kermit was stripped down to a bare metal shell only a few short weeks ago... Congrats! Any more pictures of the 'field'?
Thanks.

Kermit was stripped around 2 years ago (well, seems like 2 to me) and all the parts were literally covered in dust from being left on the shelf for so long, so a couple of minor faults were to be expected I suppose.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Need964Speed
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
Look at that!
http://porsche-scene.de/szene-live/m...-grosse-l.html

I think you will be happy
Aber kannst du deutsch lesen?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome. There are so few of them left...
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Need964Speed
Hello!
Look at that!

Here is a translation for the none German speakers.

Debuted in 1990 on Germany's race tracks in the Porsche Carrera Cup. Conceived and directed by Herbert Linge, broke the mark Cup four years ago, installed from 944 Turbo Cup. As the first title winner Olaf Manthey wrote sporting history in 1990. Back then, more than two decades, the Rhine country risked a double use. Parallel to the runt-Green Cup 964 M001 Horst Derkum he drove a BMW M3 2.5 Evo in the DTM. But rear-engine Porsche and front-engine BMW required contrasting styles of riding. Almost the champion of the Porsche kept drifting to his career would have been waived. But he was persuaded, as can be read in an interview with Carsten Krome is.

PORSCHE SCENE: "The name of Olaf Manthey was in the eighties for hearty drift deposits with Ford, Rover, BMW and Mercedes - all manufacturers of high-volume touring car In 1990, the Porsche Carrera Cup - a brand cup with 'tail spin' on relatively narrow tires.. For someone who cultivated the cross drive, must have been this new racing series but a dream! "

Olaf Manthey: "The opposite was the case with the Cup-Carrera did not was a matter of drifting, not at all I made five or six rounds of testing at the Nurburgring in order to evaluate a request from the Porsche team owner Horst Derkum better I was... by this time a DTM commitment with a BMW M3 2.5 Evo and should have been two-fold strategy. "

P.S.: "How was the test?"

OM:. "Disastrous I was so used to the BMW also in Veedol Endurance Cup, I went in 1990 such a car but the Porsche with its rear engine could not stand this style of driving out can simply some time to sow, that was not so much stand for five... or six rounds of tests clearly established. "

P.S.: "What happened then?"

OM: "'The can drive your own!', I said Horst Derkum me but as long as bequatscht until I finally consented.."

PS: "What prompted you to revise the cancellation again?"

OM: "Apart from the ride height - which was established from the outset - there was the option to work with the suspension camber, toe, stabilizer could be adjusted individually The first race was held in Zolder, Belgium where I had in 1987 at the DTM... looked pretty good. "

PS: ". In fact, ended the 'Bergische Löwe' right of Zolder with a win at the Nürburgring, at the second round, went on the triumph ..."

OM: "I quickly learned the Porsche demanded an absolutely clean line, the switch from BMW, however, was sauschwer When the tires just a bit too hard rannahm, they came back I do not have yet the first Carrera Cup ever.... won. The love of Porsche developed in the course of the championship in 1990. "

PS: "In the final phase of the Cup season 1990, a certain Uwe Alzen from Betzdorf in Derkum-racing his Porsche debut How led the young team-mate, a Oberglüher from the Veedol Endurance Cup, at that time."

OM:.. "With the 964 made Uwe through a learning period, he was young and cocky fear he intended nothing at all There was a story in Hockenheim on the large track, we wanted to give each other wake But that was wrong thoroughly... because Uwe has missed the chicane before the braking point and into the tire wall hacks. The just always gave 110 percent. "

PS: "In 1993 began a semi-private time together with Mercedes in the DTM as the relationship is today."

OM. "Still very good Uwe and I arrived in 1993, Persson, I also made the technology Uwe has never been married to me quite Perhaps he thought I would give a slight advantage Finally, I was the elder... and with my 38 years not far from the 40th birthday away. "

PS: "1996 - with 41 Lenzen - it came to set up his own racing team Is not it curious that Uwe Alzen - has made just before the 24-hour race in 2009 own racing team on their feet - to 41-years old.? "

OM: ".. Again - I like the Uwe has done nothing in politics and always said what he thinks such people before I take my hat off."

PS: "No question - there is, the runt-green winning car from the Carrera Cup in 1990 would be located today in an Austrian collection of sport historically relevant Porsche offered accessible crazy prices - an opportunity missed to put the former career accelerator in the private garage.? "

OM: "If I really was intending to, I should first clarify to what my three patrol cars from the 1990 season is because I drove at first a green Carrera, who had rented the 24-hour race at Spa-Francorchamps. and then crashed. For three races, I sat in a white Carrera, again at the end of a green. My ex-car par excellence, it has therefore not given. But the quality of the Porsche Cup was and is simply enormous. I would not be wondering if one of my ex-car or all three would still win races! "
Related Articles:
"Life goes on - you have to fight just

Not the best translation, but you get the idea.

Listen

Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Need964Speed
Hello!
Look at that!

Thanks for the link, very interesting. From what I can gather then, Olaf ran three cars to win the Championship, one white one and two green ones:

O.M.:
" I drove at first a green Carrera, which was rented with the 24-Stunden-Rennen von Spa Francorchamps and crashed there. For the next three races I sat in a white Carrera, then in the end again in another green.

" But the quality this Cup Porsche was and is simply enormous. I would not be surprised if one of my ex-cars or all three would still win a race today! "

... so, two green ones??
Attached Images     

Last edited by NineMeister; 03-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is a photo of Manthey's green car running at Spa - can anyone find photos of the car after the accident??
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Redcoat
Instructor

Thanks for sharing the build Colin, a great read.

The period pics are great and I love the joy of victory displayed by the winners!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a photo of Manthey's green car running at Spa - can anyone find photos of the car after the accident??
Colin,

The Porsche Szene Live article was featured in the July 09 hard copy issue of Porsche Szene Live magazine. It has full colour versions of the pictures in the online article!

I think their back issue ordering service doesn't go further back than 2010, if you want I'll send you my own copy as a small thank you for all the cool build threads on here;-)

Rgds
Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Harald, that would be much appreciated (as a non-German speaker PSL is definitely not a magazine that I would normally look at). I have got the odd copy of Flat 6 (French) but just I'm kidding myself that I can understand some of it!

Glad that you are enjoying the builds, lots more to come!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Redcoat
The period pics are great and I love the joy of victory displayed by the winners!

Only one winner - this is racing after all: first loser on the left & second loser on the right. So what's the winner's excuse?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
James Achard
Pro

Colin, Great work! A true inspiration! Just a few technical questions:

1. What thickness rear brake rotors are you using?
2. What did the weight end up being?

Cheers, James
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Only one winner - this is racing after all: first loser on the left & second loser on the right. So what's the winner's excuse?
I'd look like that too if I had to stand up there with a shiny inflatable life-ring buoy wrapped around my neck.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken D
I'd look like that too if I had to stand up there with a shiny inflatable life-ring buoy wrapped around my neck.
Hemorrhoids?

Quick Reply: 9m restoration of "Kermit" (1990 Championship winning 964 Trophy Cup)