Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About 50 hp short of perfect...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny....I thought it was about 250HP shy and about 350lbs too fat.....

It was pretty expensive to change all that....good car though before and after.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Never had an issue with any of mine in near or 100% stock form. Does it really matter if I'm going into T2 at Laguna, T1 at Thunderhill, etc. at 127 v. 124? It takes so f______ much to have even a smidge higher entry speed, I can't even imagine the bother. Oh, we're talking about cars that are merely street driven? Yeah, I suppose if you need to get to the next traffic light with a little more pushback in the seat. Or are you guys doing 70-to-140 runs on the freeway? And if so, how long are you holding it there? (Record for me at top speed, if you're familiar with I-580 is flat out from Estudillo to Keller with my old SC at ~145 with a 930 trying to pass me...........)
Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Never had an issue with any of mine in near or 100% stock form. Does it really matter if I'm going into T2 at Laguna, T1 at Thunderhill, etc. at 127 v. 124? It takes so f______ much to have even a smidge higher entry speed, I can't even imagine the bother. Oh, we're talking about cars that are merely street driven? Yeah, I suppose if you need to get to the next traffic light with a little more pushback in the seat. Or are you guys doing 70-to-140 runs on the freeway? And if so, how long are you holding it there? (Record for me at top speed, if you're familiar with I-580 is flat out from Estudillo to Keller with my old SC at ~145 with a 930 trying to pass me...........)
There are some tracks where the extra power is nice when your up against much more powerful cars. Climbing up the S's or coming out of the toe at Watkins Glen or around Oak tree down the back straight at VIR really shows, it doesn't matter how much speed I carry into the turns.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
There are some tracks where the extra power is nice when your up against much more powerful cars. Climbing up the S's or coming out of the toe at Watkins Glen or around Oak tree down the back straight at VIR really shows, it doesn't matter how much speed I carry into the turns.
In-class racing? Maybe a car length or two. Depends on how much it's worth to you, I suppose. Loved Derek Daly's quote from his book he threw up on Facebook yesterday.......basically, sometimes you've just got to drive the damn car you brought.

The one time I was at VIR no one had data, but I'd love to see point to point segments. Say time elapsed from when you're on the gas coming around Oak Tree through apex after that turn at the end of the back straight. Bet it's not more than 2 seconds difference on a 12:1 wt/hp car v. a 10:1.

For personal comparison, I lose about 4 car lengths on a GT3RS down the front straight at Thunderhill with the yellow car. So I'm about 100hp down. Terminal for me is high 120's, them probably over 140. But I'm tapping just inside the 3 marker, and I've yet to run with any GT3 (996 or 997) or GT3RS not brake 2-3 car lengths outside the 3 marker. So could I stick my nose in if we were going wheel-to-wheel? Good question! In any case, I'm tucked up behind and have made my presence known. These days being DE's or open track sessions I usually get the point by going into T2.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
In-class racing? Maybe a car length or two. Depends on how much it's worth to you, I suppose. Loved Derek Daly's quote from his book he threw up on Facebook yesterday.......basically, sometimes you've just got to drive the damn car you brought.

The one time I was at VIR no one had data, but I'd love to see point to point segments. Say time elapsed from when you're on the gas coming around Oak Tree through apex after that turn at the end of the back straight. Bet it's not more than 2 seconds difference on a 12:1 wt/hp car v. a 10:1.

For personal comparison, I lose about 4 car lengths on a GT3RS down the front straight at Thunderhill with the yellow car. So I'm about 100hp down. Terminal for me is high 120's, them probably over 140. But I'm tapping just inside the 3 marker, and I've yet to run with any GT3 (996 or 997) or GT3RS not brake 2-3 car lengths outside the 3 marker. So could I stick my nose in if we were going wheel-to-wheel? Good question! In any case, I'm tucked up behind and have made my presence known. These days being DE's or open track sessions I usually get the point by going into T2.
I agree but the extra power would be a nice edge sometimes. There is always a faster car or driver. I find I actually make it around Oak tree faster than most I drive with just loose it to higher hp cars in the straights albeit not by much. The problem is in DE you get these powerful cars that are slow in the turns and drag race you down the straights only to slow you in the turns. Not much that can be done about it.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:41 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Oh, and since you are all asking about TPC supercharger conversions, here is the result of a 993VR engine with a non-intercooled TPC kit installed by us. Had a problem with the package in that the original VR ecu did not like the installation and created a trough in the torque curve, so this is actually the vastly improved torque curve we got from using a stock non-Varioram Motronic ecu in the car.

At least this plot answers everyone's questions about the power from a TPC kit, this one made just a nudge under 360hp corrected at the flywheel as measured on our chassis dyno.
Why are all three about the same torque in the 3500 to 4250RPM range? This seems very strange since the supercharger should be pushing more air by then.

Bob

Quick Reply: About 50 hp short of perfect...