Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About 50 hp short of perfect...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd consider adding a supercharger for some extra grunt...what's an estimated cost for one?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by garrett376
Cheaper to buy a 996!! You get 320hp in a stock, reliable configuration...
Yes...adding $25k to a 964 and you're into $50k range...where you can get some pretty cool cars. I'd be in for a 355.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
You get 320hp in a stock, reliable configuration...
Okay, Mr Watercooled , give us the side-by-side comparo. How much nicer is all that linear torque & extra hp? We can take it.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tagsley
Sadly, Kadmus, my wife's car is a modded E55. That's one reason I am having such a problem with this.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by Nine11
I'd be in for a 355.
a Ferrari 355 only puts out about 385 hp... the car sounds great but performance is somewhat lacking
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that a kit from vitesse racing, it would give you the wright bang for the buck if the saying is so. And please do an dyno before and after. So that al unbelievers see the difference.

But willing to spend more money on the car talk to geoffrey.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
...every true porsche guy says no to the s/c
That's weird since every true Porsche guy that I know says no to A/C. So you better not be running one otherwise we'll have to rescind your "True Porsche Guy" membership and banish you from the ranks of this highly exclusive group. You won't be able to use the secret handshake either.

ilkp no sour grapes just from everyone I have talked to here or at porsche meets that the turbo is the way to go.. Well can't say that heard the new TPC kit is a vast imporvement over the old one with new technology etc..

How long you had your s/c and what brand?
I have a TPC supercharger, it's been on the car for a little over 15K miles (I'm at 81K right now) and it provides a nice bump in HP and torque. I didn't install it, it came with the car but I'm very happy with it. The car's been very reliable, it doesn't leak or use any oil. That's my real world opinion having owned and driven a supercharged Porsche on the street and at the track. How many supercharged Porsches have you driven?

For the amount you spend on a supercharger you can certainly buy a turbo kit for your car on Ebay, but it will be made for a Honda. A real turbo kit will cost you a lot more than what you would spend on a supercharger, so you might as well buy a real Porsche turbo and join the "Real Porsche Turbo Dude" club. But I hear their handshake sucks. I've heard it on the internet and at Porsche meets, so it has to be true.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by ilko
That's weird since every true Porsche guy that I know says no to A/C. So you better not be running one otherwise we'll have to rescind your "True Porsche Guy" membership and banish you from the ranks of this highly exclusive group. You won't be able to use the secret handshake either.

I have a TPC supercharger, it's been on the car for a little over 15K miles (I'm at 81K right now) and it provides a nice bump in HP and torque. I didn't install it, it came with the car but I'm very happy with it. The car's been very reliable, it doesn't leak or use any oil. That's my real world opinion having owned and driven a supercharged Porsche on the street and at the track. How many supercharged Porsches have you driven?

For the amount you spend on a supercharger you can certainly buy a turbo kit for your car on Ebay, but it will be made for a Honda. A real turbo kit will cost you a lot more than what you would spend on a supercharger, so you might as well buy a real Porsche turbo and join the "Real Porsche Turbo Dude" club. But I hear their handshake sucks. I've heard it on the internet and at Porsche meets, so it has to be true.
WOW someone one needs some coffee this morning...
Old 09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I drove a protomotive stage 1 964 before buying my car. I spoke to the shop that installed it and really not much more then a s/c installed plus you can always adjust the turbo down the line. The s/c you basically are stuck on the hp level but on the turbo you can upgrade and increase hp when you want to.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
. A real turbo kit will cost you a lot more than what you would spend on a supercharger, so you might as well buy a real Porsche turbo and join the "Real Porsche Turbo Dude" club. But I hear their handshake sucks. I've heard it on the internet and at Porsche meets, so it has to be true.
Don't get me started on NYC living. Our handshake is exactly the same it just takes a little longer to get started due to built in lag but we finish ours quicker

I drove a protomotive stage 1 964 before buying my car. I spoke to the shop that installed it and really not much more then a s/c installed plus you can always adjust the turbo down the line. The s/c you basically are stuck on the hp level but on the turbo you can upgrade and increase hp when you want to.
I agree the protomotive stage 1 will do what a supercharger will do for about the same $$. Simple bolt up but you loose the cool sound of the n/a C2. I have been thinking of doing this myself and it is not at all like a factory turbo. Low boost feels more like a Super Charger than my 94. less strain on the motor but the power is not as linear as a SC kit. Either will do the job and should bring you close in hp numbers. Does anyone know how much torque each kit adds . In either case these kits are worthless unless you are starting with a strong motor. I agree a baseline dyno along with leak down and compression should be done prior to considering improvements like this.

There is a big difference in overall feel between a turbo and C2. Turbocharging a C2 will not make it feel or handle like a 965. The widebody, offset track and extra large trailing arms make it far more stable at higher speeds but not as nimble as the narrow body cars.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Cobalt I had the link to protomotive turbo kits and stage 1 said 400 hp, I lost it computer crashed.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...Our handshake is exactly the same it just takes a little longer to get started due to built in lag but we finish ours quicker
Grip's a bit wider, too.

(I'd join, but that initiation cost always pinched me.)

Private fraternal orders... heh. ("We meet upon the level apex and we part upon the square exit.")
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

The one thought for everyone to consider is that, as our cars are all getting older and with high millage, the engine will need at some point, a complete rebuild which is a lot of money by itself. At that point the decision will be either to repair and keep the greatest car around or sell it for not a lot of money (because it needs a rebuild) and find the next best car around. If the decision is the former it may be a good time to add a turbo since everything is ripped apart anyway.
Just my thoughts although "I could be wrong"
Peter
Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by psiegel
The one thought for everyone to consider is that, as our cars are all getting older and with high millage, the engine will need at some point, a complete rebuild which is a lot of money by itself. At that point the decision will be either to repair and keep the greatest car around or sell it for not a lot of money (because it needs a rebuild) and find the next best car around. If the decision is the former it may be a good time to add a turbo since everything is ripped apart anyway.
Just my thoughts although "I could be wrong"
Peter
I agree as adding forced induction either sc or turbo will require low compression pistons forged internals (if more than mild boost is considered), and perhaps increase in engine size.
Generally SC is a "more streetable" set up at it engages earlier vs spool up time for a turbo, plus overall installation is usually lighter.

current: 964 turbo look cab
94 Cobra - for sale (whipple blower @ 15p.s.i., 60lb
BAP, MAFia, fuel rails,Magnaflow exhaust, Cenerforce
clutch, some other suspension/chassis mods, on a
dyno@575rwHP)
past: Alfa 147 2L
bmw 323
bmw 318(modified)
American muscle (except for modified CRX)
Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,170 Posts

IIRC The protomotive stage 1 uses a small turbo low boost and produces considerable hp increase. Not unlike say an S4 2.0 turbo Audi. There is relatively no lag and spool up would depend on the turbo chosen. I know their stage 1 on a 3.2 will add upwards of 100hp and is very streetable. I don't believe compression reduction is required as the units only produce .4 bar of pressure unlike the factory which is closer to .9 bar using a monster K27 and is not much lower compression to begin with. These engines should handle it so long as it is healthy to start. Same goes for the low pressure used on the supercharger kits.

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
I agree as adding forced induction either sc or turbo will require low compression pistons forged internals (if more than mild boost is considered), and perhaps increase in engine size.
Generally SC is a "more streetable" set up at it engages earlier vs spool up time for a turbo, plus overall installation is usually lighter.

current: 964 turbo look cab
94 Cobra - for sale (whipple blower @ 15p.s.i., 60lb
BAP, MAFia, fuel rails,Magnaflow exhaust, Cenerforce
clutch, some other suspension/chassis mods, on a
dyno@575rwHP)
past: Alfa 147 2L
bmw 323
bmw 318(modified)
American muscle (except for modified CRX)

Quick Reply: About 50 hp short of perfect...